What's a comfortable income?

What's a comfortable income for your household?

• Total voters

blck10th

TCG Elite Member
Jan 11, 2007
Like many have said... There's no right answer. I lived with the wife making between 28k annual... To well, more than that most recently. I think Jared is about right. If you can live on a budget faithfully, you can two two kids for 75k/yr with used cars and an affordable house.

For me though, I'm a spending idiot. I always mean to save, but I end up burning it if i have it.

People used to strive to make a fortune for their future generations, or pay for kids college at least. I was never given any of those things and made money myself... So I'm not trying to leave a ton behind. I'd like to retire someday, sure... But it's fun living like an idiot. Maybe I'll come to my senses one of these days.

That's why I have a lot of life insurance. I can die knowing I will leave my son with a nice stash of cash and hopefully he won't have to work hard someday.

Nccstud

Daddy no likey
TCG Premium
Aug 20, 2012
Belvidere
In all honesty it is different for everyone, and being on a car forum a lot of people's ideas of comfortable involve a nicer car than most so some of the numbers may be higher.

40-50k single and roughly double that if married is comfortable.

I'll let you know if that's accurate if I can pick up my grandparents house on 4 acres and not go broke haha

TonzKnock-G

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 9, 2007
Shitcago
Luckily I learned a lot from my parents and they will have two decent chicago houses to leave behind for me and my sister. Therefore my kids will always have a house to live in if life deals them a bad hand. (Which I'm hoping not) It certainly doesn't look that way but you never know. My sister is almost 40 with no kids and I dont see her having any in the future. If she does good for her but im thinking not.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
I voted based on my current living standard and where I'm at in life. I'd say between 50-70k in the far NW burbs is a pretty decent chunk. I don't go balls deep like [MENTION=340]Eagle[/MENTION] does in buying shit but I can still afford nice stuff with both a house and a mortgage truck payment.

Like many have said... There's no right answer. I lived with the wife making between 28k annual... To well, more than that most recently. I think Jared is about right. If you can live on a budget faithfully, you can two two kids for 75k/yr with used cars and an affordable house.

For me though, I'm a spending idiot. I always mean to save, but I end up burning it if i have it.

People used to strive to make a fortune for their future generations, or pay for kids college at least. I was never given any of those things and made money myself... So I'm not trying to leave a ton behind. I'd like to retire someday, sure... But it's fun living like an idiot. Maybe I'll come to my senses one of these days.

I've been focusing on the term "generational wealth". Basically leaving your kids a house and bank acct. My parents are divorced and neither has much to give other than covering their funeral. I want to leave my kid something when I'm gone which is a huge help.

Same here. I'm not sure what my parents received from their parents who have died or if anything was left in my name but with, I think, four grand parents and great grandparents passing away, I haven't been left anything or heard my parents getting anything. When I'm dead and gone I want my kids/grandkids to have SOMETHING but not have obscene amounts of wealth just because I died. My dad is a hard working, blue collar guy and my mom did her best to hold a steady job the past 25 years of mine and my sister's life. I've gotten to where I am based on hardwork and dedication (and maybe a little luck), ain't no way in fucking hell I'm going to let that mentality die when I have kids.

I don't even want to talk about taxes this year. Yall would puke if u knew.

:rofl: I'll go ask Finance tomorrow morning. :bowrofl:

GoldPanther

♫Please press 1 for more options♫
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2013
Addison
Real Name
Daniel
I make about 29k myself with everything they gltake out of your check included. With this money I consider my self in the poverty category. I think that I would live more than comfortable with double amount, so 50k would be good for me.
Obviously I votting for the maximum amount listed!

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
Wife and i are at about 70 combined with me almost making double what she does. I try to talk he into getting a better job but she likes her field of work and it scared of change. And had looked in her field and there is not much out there for something with no responsibility. She is definitely not a "manager" type of person.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
When I worked for a tree service company (with a water contract with the water reclamation), I was making 2k/week (before taxes). At the end of the year, I'd pay more in taxes than a ln average person makes probably in 2 years at McDonalds.

Now that the contract has been over with, I now work with my father in law and technically my wife (company is under her name). I make a decent hourly rate, but not nearly what I would like at the end of the year (construction=winter off). My wife doesn't take much from the company and so together we don't make much. But we still manage and pay our bills while having some money to spend. I pay all the bills besides the couple of hers that she has. She worries about her bills (1 credit card and insurance), and I pay everything else.

So as long as things are managed, you can live off a smaller income. But my goal is to make the 100k+ I used to make.

Thread Info