What do you do with tailgaters?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
How would you personally feel, and please answer honestly, if someone kept creeping up on you and they got struck from behind force their car into yours. Would you not question why they were so close causing you to be involved in an accident easily avoidable?

Where in the hell do you live where you managed to get rear-ended 4 times in under 5 years? I just feel bad for you!

I've 'dodged' being rear-ended twice in all the time I've been driving, and only actually been rear-ended once.

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
I'v been rearended 4 times in 10 years. each time i was at a dead stop with no way of getting out of the way. i take that back. 1 time i was still moving. SUV in front of me cut lanes because the car in front of him was at a dead stop turning left. i had to slam on my brake's as well as the car behind me, we had no way of changing lanes as we had cars next to us. she slid into me, and i almost hit the car turning, barely missed them.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
Where in the hell do you live where you managed to get rear-ended 4 times in under 5 years? I just feel bad for you!

I've 'dodged' being rear-ended twice in all the time I've been driving, and only actually been rear-ended once.

HAHA!

Bensenville/Mt. Prospect/Wheeling

Twice in my 07 GT and also twice in my wife's Volt.

One kid was texting, another was a guy in a beater that hit me onto a curb in winter and kept driving, another hit my wife in a minivan doing 40MPH+ and totaled his car, had no license/insurance at the time, etc.

This why I get so upset with people driving so close. Especially when my wife is with me. I get on the defensive big time.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
I was driving down Huntley rd between Kruetzer and Boyer. Had plenty of room between myself and the vehicle in front of me. I was creeping up as I was doing the speed limit and the dude was driving under. As I start coming up to him (and still a good distance away) he starts riding his brakes. I'm now kind of on his bumper (a car or 2 length away). We go around the bend (where you can turn left onto Boyer) and almost by the nursery on Randall and Huntley. Guy comes to a complete stop on the road and doesn't move. I hunk my horn. He doesn't want to move so I turn on my brights.

The guy gets pissed and puts the car in park and starts walking toward me. I crack the window and he's yelling at me that I shouldn't drive with my highs on and that I'm blinding him. I tell him that I just turned them on because he stopped in the middle of the road. It did look like he was ready to try and reach in my window or get close as I was reaching my hand between the seat (getting my hand ready to unbuckle my seat belt just in case - but he didn't know that).

He says I'm acting like a tough guy. Tells me to meet him at the nursery entrance and we can settle this. We reach the entrance and I put my blinker on, but then he goes straight to the light and proceeds to turn right as I was heading straight. He's yelling out his window calling me a pussy because he didn't want to meet at the entrance. :rofl:

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
There was a time I was on 90 going west on Halloween after I picked my wife's nieces. Traffic came to a halt and I came to a stop. I looked in my rear view mirror and here comes this 16 year old looking girl with her face in her phone. I told everybody to get ready to be hit and next thing you know we hear the screeching tires and the tap on the bumper. We pull off to exchange insurance info and she had the nerves of asking me how do I know it was her who hit my bumper. Really? Are you that stupid to not know that you JUST FUCKING HIT MY CAR! Lol.

Then her insurance didn't want to settle (country insurance if I recall correctly). We basically said that our nieces are starting to complain about back and neck pains (a lie) for them to agree to cover the damage (very minor/about $500 worth that you couldn't even notice).

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Seems like these would fix the issue.
fabc9074853ff4c5120826c8dfc38996.jpg

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Well, to comment on this.

When I was 10, a person behind our car was too close. Someone rear ended them and forced them into us. If we was a foot further away, we would not have been hit. What could have been a two car accident turned into a three car accident because someone decided to ride our ass and stay on it while stopped.

I work very hard for my shit. Regardless of getting paid, which you're not very correct on, it still damages the car, possibly the passengers and devalues the car.

Now, since Derek took the exit and never answered me. Between my wife and I, we've been rear ended 4 times in under 5 years at STOP LIGHTS or WHILE BEING STOPPED.

Three of those times, the person that hit me/my wife did not have insurance and it was money out of our pocket, our time and frustration.

One of those times, the person did have insurance, but, it was really shitty insurance that disagreed with four body shop estimates to repair our car.

How would you personally feel, and please answer honestly, if someone kept creeping up on you and they got struck from behind force their car into yours. Would you not question why they were so close causing you to be involved in an accident easily avoidable?

If I got hit....shit happens bro. Deal with it and move on. Don't drive if you don't want any risk of an accident happening.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Since I was rear ended on 90 and subsequently put into the wall, by someone who had a fly by night insurance company that you see on telemundo at 3am, that wanted to settle with me for $500, despite there being about $3,700 worth of damage that State Farm (my insurance) had to fork out (after I had to pay my deductible to get MY car fixed) and then go after them, all because he was tailgating and NOT paying attention, I see things a little differently.

And I realize that it probably the longest run-on sentence here... :D

Unless I'm doing 10 under in the left lane, there is no fucking reason you need to be in my rectal cavity. And I'm pretty vigilant in guarding said cavity.

Yeah of course you had to pay YOUR deductible to get YOUR car fixed...that's called insurance. There is also 0$ deductible plans too.

093LZ

Regular
May 16, 2012
What I really like to do, is generally what most people here on the forum would love to do. I move my unmarked squad with regular plates to the right, let them pass, smile, get behind then its close encounters of the third kind. What I really dont understand and this is my verbatim speech with people. You were close enough to see the antennas on my trunk (yes I understand the people that buy our squads after the fact), but then you pass me, look at me and mutter fuck you while im in uniform with a huge ass computer next to me. Then you proceed to about 95-100mph and are absolutely shocked when I pull you over. Having an unmarked car with regular plates makes me want to wear the helmet Luke wore where he couldn't see shit.

torquelover

TCG Elite Member
Jun 4, 2013
I used to cut the ignition, pump the throttle a few times, and kick the ignition back on. The back fire and pop/flames were usually enough for most to back way the hell off. Fast forward a few decades and it's mostly draining the washer fluid tank on them.

Sometimes I'll downshift or grab the ebrake when they're not paying attention. That does the trick too.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Yeah of course you had to pay YOUR deductible to get YOUR car fixed...that's called insurance. There is also 0$ deductible plans too.

Thanks captain obvious. Since MY insurance had to foot the bill, and then go after them, I needed to pay MY portion too. That was IF I wanted to get my car fixed. If I didn't, I could've waited the year and a half for them to finally pony up before getting the car fixed.

My point was that I had to pay and MY insurance had to pay for the stupidity of someone else.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I really want some kind of stink juice I could spray behind me so it gets on their car then all they smell is skunk.

Except, being that I have a hatch-back it will backfire in my face since the vacuum behind the RS would suck it right up and coat the hatch. :puke: So thats no good for me.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
I had an 'incident' with someone last year that was tailgating/road raging.

Long and short; I am readily aware that IL law states that rear-ending someone generally means the person in the rear is at fault. The front of the other persons car was ruined.

NORMALLY, I just engine brake/slow until they go around me as to avoid stressing myself. If its a single lane of traffic, I still do the same.... If they are that impatient or can't take the hint, they can dive out into oncoming, I don't really care.

So you dont care if you cause someone to go into oncoming traffic and possibly hit someone head on because you got salty at them getting a little close? If that were the case and my family was hit because of that, Id come after you as well.

I don't tailgate at a stoplight that's pointless. We are stopped no one is going anywhere just chill.

However if you are a left lane asshat doing 55mph with no one in front of you on the hwy driving the same speed as someone in the slower right lanes so I cannot pass it's freaking game on. I'll blind you with my brights and get right up on you. I hate inconsiderate lane hoggers

This seems to happen all the time on my way home from work. Rush hour traffic and fucking soccer mom on her cell phone talking to the guy she's cheating on her husband with blocking my lane.

Game on? I didnt know sharing the road with other people was a game.

^^^ I agree with that to a point. If I'm already doing 10MPH+ over the limit, be patient and wait for me to pass the guy in the middle lane going slow as hell. I'll come to a complete stop on the highway if someone decided to ride my ass, flash their brights, honk, etc.

Tailgating regardless of what the person is doing is stupid. You're asking for trouble. This is a good reason for me to buy a rear dash cam so I can record said stupidity.

You will come to a complete stop on the highway because someone is too close? Yet the guy that is too close is stupid.

Listen to yourself. You would put dozens of people behind you in a possibly harmful situation because your feelings are hurt for a couple minutes.

i've noticed that most people do it unintentionally, i dont let it bug me.

the next thing you know, your on the news for getting your car shot up on the 290.

Seriously, nowadays I try to keep my temper down and try to be friendly to all.....

This man speaks the truth. Seriously, if you go through life not getting all pissed off all the time, its easier. Also healthier. The couple of minutes someone russled your jimmies by not staying back 2 car lengths (who does that? No one. Thats what is taught in drivers ed. Hope you all get mad at yourself) will be a foot note by the end of your day and will mean nothing by the next day. So why take it personally and possibly hurt people?

Most of you guys are just little bitches :rofl:

OMG TOO CLOSE TO ME AT A STOPLIGHT!!! GOTTA PUT IT IN REVERSE TO GET THEM TO NOT BE TOO CLOSE...WHILE STOPPED CAUSE THAT WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!!

Y'all need to lighten up. Who gives a shit. If they hit you, you're getting paid...Unless you are driving uninsured...

Sometimes we dont see eye to eye. Then there is times like this. :wavey:

What's worse is the asswipe who drives staring in the rear view mirror. They are so worried about the car behind them they start swerving and slowing down. Now that's more annoying than a tailgater.

This used to be me. Ive been rear ended so many times. I would watch people behind me more. Luckily that didnt come to bite me in the ass, but I started to realize I cannot control other people. You do you and if someone else fucks up, it happens. Everyone fucks up. If you say you dont, I dont believe you.

Since I was rear ended on 90 and subsequently put into the wall, by someone who had a fly by night insurance company that you see on telemundo at 3am, that wanted to settle with me for $500, despite there being about $3,700 worth of damage that State Farm (my insurance) had to fork out (after I had to pay my deductible to get MY car fixed) and then go after them, all because he was tailgating and NOT paying attention, I see things a little differently.

And I realize that it probably the longest run-on sentence here... :D

Unless I'm doing 10 under in the left lane, there is no fucking reason you need to be in my rectal cavity. And I'm pretty vigilant in guarding said cavity.

Thats shitty. Wanna know shittier? I had a car totaled in Michigan. Know what Michigan is? A no fault state. Dude that hit me had a legit insurance. Guess what? I, and my insurance, still had to pay for everything and my car was totaled. At least your company had a foot to stand on when it came to who owed who. I just got plain fucked.

Possibly why I never will go to Michigan again, but thats besides the point.

Wanna know what I do when someone is tail gating? I keep driving and eventually they wont be behind me anymore. Mind. Blown.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
So you dont care if you cause someone to go into oncoming traffic and possibly hit someone head on because you got salty at them getting a little close? If that were the case and my family was hit because of that, Id come after you as well

I'm not sure what you mean here. If someone is following so closely that they cannot simply stop behind me during a panick maneuver that they either hit me or have to avoid, I have no remorse for that driver, or the occupants they placed at risk.

Following to closely/tailgating is illegal for a reason, period.

If they swing out and kill someone head on dodging my car because I stopped hard for a squirrel, I'd still sleep just fine at night. If they survive, I doubt they'd be sleeping that night, and I'm sure they'd be done tailgating for the rest of their life.

And again, NORMALLY I just avoid the situation entirely, this was someone who was on top of me repeatedly by their own choice. Granted I now have a Child on the way; so I wouldn't ever deliberately put myself or others at risk again at this point.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
I'm not sure what you mean here. If someone is following so closely that they cannot simply stop behind me during a panick maneuver that they either hit me or have to avoid, I have no remorse for that driver, or the occupants they placed at risk.

Following to closely/tailgating is illegal for a reason, period.

If they swing out and kill someone head on dodging my car because I stopped hard for a squirrel, I'd still sleep just fine at night. If they survive, I doubt they'd be sleeping that night, and I'm sure they'd be done tailgating for the rest of their life.

And again, NORMALLY I just avoid the situation entirely, this was someone who was on top of me repeatedly by their own choice. Granted I now have a Child on the way; so I wouldn't ever deliberately put myself or others at risk again at this point.

Still a shitty thing to say. You would sleep fine if some douche bag swerved to get around you because you provoked them to go around you and they kill someone and you sleep sound. Once again, if it were my family and you caused it, better hope I die.

Then again, once your child comes into this world, I hope you realize being stupid and even engine braking for a tail gater is just instigating and will not help the situation. Now if you said you did your thing and some asshole hurt/killed someone and you were fine, then that is a horse of a different color.

[MENTION=95]Fish[/MENTION] - Way to read between the lines and assume. Didn't say slam on my brakes and did not just say if they were too close. If they were honking, flashing, tailgating me, that's a different story.

I'm sorry. So you would put dozens of lives in danger because someone is acting like an asshole. News flash. People act like assholes everyday. You acting like an asshole isn't going to make another asshole realize that being an asshole isn't cool and stop acting like it.

By the way, I didn't change your post. I didn't assume anything. I responded to your text that you typed out. You are willing to act the fool because your jimmys are russled.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
Still a shitty thing to say. You would sleep fine if some douche bag swerved to get around you because you provoked them to go around you and they kill someone and you sleep sound. Once again, if it were my family and you caused it, better hope I die.

Then again, once your child comes into this world, I hope you realize being stupid and even engine braking for a tail gater is just instigating and will not help the situation. Now if you said you did your thing and some asshole hurt/killed someone and you were fine, then that is a horse of a different color.

I'm sorry. So you would put dozens of lives in danger because someone is acting like an asshole. News flash. People act like assholes everyday. You acting like an asshole isn't going to make another asshole realize that being an asshole isn't cool and stop acting like it.

By the way, I didn't change your post. I didn't assume anything. I responded to your text that you typed out. You are willing to act the fool because your jimmys are russled.

Two wrongs don't make a right. I'm a reactive person and don't go after people just to be an asshole. I go about my business, but, when people go out of their way to fuck with me, I react.

Again, as of today, I don't act this way. Been on a good streak for about 2-3 weeks and keeping my cool. I just want to be able to go about my business, but, assholes bring the hate I have stored in out by putting my life at risk.

We're very different people and react very differently at situations. I was diagnosed with IED (Intermittent Explosive Disorder) because I react the only way I know how when I feel cornered/threatened.

All good though. I appreciate your opinion.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Two wrongs don't make a right. I'm a reactive person and don't go after people just to be an asshole. I go about my business, but, when people go out of their way to fuck with me, I react.

Again, as of today, I don't act this way. Been on a good streak for about 2-3 weeks and keeping my cool. I just want to be able to go about my business, but, assholes bring the hate I have stored in out by putting my life at risk.

We're very different people and react very differently at situations. I was diagnosed with IED (Intermittent Explosive Disorder) because I react the only way I know how when I feel cornered/threatened.

All good though. I appreciate your opinion.

I dont mean to threaten. I am just trying to understand the situation. Plus it is hard to read tone through text. Its all good as well over here.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info