Welp, I have an actual house now; Questions.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
#8) Who has Doggie Doors? Pros/Cons? We have a pair of 50lb dogs that love roaming outside and our back yard is fenced in. We live in Wheaton, and since the doors have glass in them anyways, I'd imagine if someone wants to break in bad enough a doggie door isn't going to be any more attractive of a target than just punching out one of the small panes in the back door. That being said, I feel like this could have other issues like not sealing well, allowing in water? I don't know, but I'm curious who has real-life experience with having one.

my in laws have one, but it is in a lower level patio door that is only used to by the dogs. it was a custom made glass pane that fit in the opening of the patio door, so can remove it at any time with no proof that one was ever there. it was made for small dogs. ~20-30 lb it does not let in any more water than the dogs themselves bring in.
if this is for a very much used patio sliding door i would recomend getting one that fits on the non door side as to not take away any door space.

you could probably have this done at the same time as #7 while the pros are doing the work.

both my front AND back doors are just "Doors", we have no patio door.

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
How big is your yard, and how much do you pay to have someone aerate it? It looks like its $180ish to buy a tow-behind plug one for my little tractor, and its like $100 a day to rent a self-powered one, or $60 to rent a tow behind for a day. At $180 if this is more than a once a year thing, I'm just going to buy it and store it in my shed.

I believe my lot is 60x125, I have paid different lawn care and landscapers anywhere from $50-80 to have the lawn aerated and over seeded along with fertilizer. I don't have an exact price for just aeration alone.

I could have probably bought one used for what I have paid these other companies but storing it is a big concern.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
see post #78

I get that you can lock it, but the only point for me to even think about having one would be so they could go while I'm not home.

Right now I have them trained so they ring a bell on the back door so I know they need to go, I'm a lazy ass, but not so lazy I don't want to get up to let them out when they ring the bell. :rofl:

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
I get that you can lock it, but the only point for me to even think about having one would be so they could go while I'm not home.

Right now I have them trained so they ring a bell on the back door so I know they need to go, I'm a lazy ass, but not so lazy I don't want to get up to let them out when they ring the bell. :rofl:

well, then you are looking for somethign like this.

Amazon.com : Power Pet Large Electronic Pet Door PX-2 : Pet Doors And Supplies : Pet Supplies

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
This thread is encouraging. The last year, I've been working on remodeling the interior of my house while the outside hasn't been touched.

It's beautiful, professional landscaping back 15 years ago, but my neighbor tells me that the previous owners never maintained and now everything is overgrown and my backyard is somewhat useless.

I found the picked clean carcass of something (large racoon?) last night in the "grass". ugh.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
This thread is encouraging. The last year, I've been working on remodeling the interior of my house while the outside hasn't been touched.

It's beautiful, professional landscaping back 15 years ago, but my neighbor tells me that the previous owners never maintained and now everything is overgrown and my backyard is somewhat useless.

I found the picked clean carcass of something (large racoon?) last night in the "grass". ugh.

If you have a tractor and want to rent my aerator you are welcome to it. I feel bad spending the money I did on it for it just to sit for 6+ months.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info