Welp, I have an actual house now; Questions.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Side-note, My yard is a little 'lumpy' as well, thoughts on that?

Mine is too. I'm spending $4500'ish in the first or second week of May depending on the weather to have all my grass ripped out, dirt brought in to have it all regraded, then new sod and planting beds put in....

Tired of the shit show in the back yard and having to rinse the dogs off anytime they go and run around like lunatics because the yard is mostly mud and weeds.

I suppose you could slowly fill and rake it out over a few years, if you're doing it thin enough the new soil should work its way in and you can fill in the low spots a little thicker to get them caught up.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
We went with the scotts shady mix when we did it. We tilled up the lawn. watered every morning. and it still looks like shit

Pull the move I did and get the trees yanked out or trimmed up higher so you get more sun on it.

Then again you're not going to be there much longer so why invest time or effort into it if it won't be your yard?

Might help to take some new pictures of the yard too so we can see what's going on besides one from a mile away during a garage sale. LOL

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
It made a huge difference in my parents back yard... The trees had a bunch of limbs that were pointing down trying to get light from under the canopy, all those got yanked out.

The limbs they left were all either horizontal, but mostly pointing upward towards the light...

Night and Day difference in the amount of light reaching the grass.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
Yuppers :)

I didn't even think about the dogs to be honest, I'll have to figure something out on that front. Good to know about the seed though.

Side-note, My yard is a little 'lumpy' as well, thoughts on that?

aerating and rolling the lawn will help smooth it out.

As for grass seed, I've had really good results with Jonathan Green seed. Its a tad expensive, but worth it to me. I have an area in my yard that sees maybe 1-2 hours of daylight, its very shady and the Dense seed mix was the only grass seed that has survived. I tried sod and like 3 different grass seeds and everything eventually would die.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002JGWYUM/?tag=tcg21-20

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
Soooooo, what do I get to do that? A little spiked drum to tow with my mower?

yeah they make a tow behind one for a ride-on mower. I've just seen the actual machine used before. You can rent them.

aerator-ryan-v.jpg

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
For a yard the size it looks like yours is, I would rent an aerator for a day every few years...

Check the lawn to see if the thatch is bad first, you may need to de-thatch everything.

Googling says I shouldn't "De-Thatch" until Summer if it is even a problem.

I don't have significant areas that lack grass so adding grass can wait until I check the Thatch.

So do I aerate before or after I do my Step1?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info