Twin turbo 2004 gto build

32vMonte

Car is broke
Dec 3, 2008
So it ran and drove for a month and a week on the new twin setup. I daily drove it for the 1st 3 weeks it was running and raced the shit out of it every weekend. Until 4 weeks ago on my way home, a cylinder sleeve gave out on me on the ole stock ls1.

Guess it didn't like 18-19 psi anymore lmao.

It's been boosted for 3 full summers now and has never been below 600whp. Since going turbo I've put around 20k miles on it with a grand total of 110k miles on the car and motor.

5 am on the side of i65

The next day inspecting the damage

Sleeve has to long crack in it

Piston was hitting the head pretty good, bent the valves as well.

Rod bolts were loose on just the one rod. Not even really sure how that happens. They arent stretched from what I can tell, I measured them compared to some others and they are the same length still.

2004 ls1 has the nice gen 4 rods with floating wrist pins. Who knew lol. I figured they were the older gen 3 stuff.

Well now that that's covered. On to the prepping of the 5.3. Had this gem sitting around for maybe 6 months now. Buddy of mine picked it up for me when he was bored one day at the yard. It was only $150 so I couldn't pass it up.

It came out of a 2005 chevy express van. It had been in a fire of some sort. Intake was melted and they naturally soaked the motor to make sure the fire was put out.

Decent amount of water got into the motor.

Cleaned up easy with a ball hone.

Drill and tap a couple holes for the alt brackets.

Quick coat of vht engine enamel

Ready to go in

32vMonte

Car is broke
Dec 3, 2008
Dropping it in

Few days of work and it was done.

Over all I've payed $150 for the motor, $35 for oem gm 3 layer mls head gaskets, $95 for new 7.375= $280 total for engine swap.

Too bad the pushrods from the ls1 didn't wanna play nice with the 5.3 or else I'd be 95 bux less in the hole for the motor swap.

Drove it to work last night to make sure everything is working properly and I'm not gonna have any issues.

Thread Info