Today-First Day Tax Season Officially Starts

P40E

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2012
Ive got a $7000 toolbox to write off for work and first full year or house ownership

But I am still waiting on a W2 from a previous employer

I wrote $5,200 off on my taxes and it did noticeably raised my return . If you are a mechanic you can write off more things that are related to work also .

For the house , if you have pmi insurance , you can add that monthly bill too .

is anyones taxes drastically lower then last year?

I made a little more this year then last year but last year i got like 1300, and just checked mine on TT and its saying 875. 425$ difference?

Coworker of mine just did hers and she made more then i did by a few Gs and she said she got about 1300 this year, just like last year.

Should i not trust turbotax? Not really looking to pay my accountant 125 again to do something as simple as what turbotax did for me, that only costs $20. ( import my whole w2 and last years info) So it was done in like 15mins.

Still havent submitted it yet. Dont have anything to write off. But is turbo hiding shit from me and not giving me the max tho, they claim its the max?

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
I have my aunt do them all the time. Same for this year. But I also went on turbotax and wanted to see what I'd get if I did them myself. My aunt got me a little over $500 more. Makes a difference. I always do itemized. Especially since I work construction and drive location to location, all my gas and miles are deductible plus tools and what not.

If you want bigger returns then claim 0 on your w-4 but then that means the government holds your money interest free. I see it as extra spending money at the end of the year (forced savings account).

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
is anyones taxes drastically lower then last year?

I made a little more this year then last year but last year i got like 1300, and just checked mine on TT and its saying 875. 425$ difference?

Coworker of mine just did hers and she made more then i did by a few Gs and she said she got about 1300 this year, just like last year.

Should i not trust turbotax? Not really looking to pay my accountant 125 again to do something as simple as what turbotax did for me, that only costs $20. ( import my whole w2 and last years info) So it was done in like 15mins.

Still havent submitted it yet. Dont have anything to write off. But is turbo hiding shit from me and not giving me the max tho, they claim its the max?

guilty.

I made almost 3x as much as the prior year... I went from a $1700 tax return... I owe $475 this year.

:fu:

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
guilty.

I made almost 3x as much as the prior year... I went from a $1700 tax return... I owe $475 this year.

:fu:

The 'middle class' bracket is a 10% jump right? Goes from 15% to 25% if you cleared $36,250.

Gross Pay Calculator

I know you are heavy commission (which can fluctuate all over), so your work may not have expected you to clear as much as you did. Or they don't care and just pull your base pay tax rate.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
not sure... my 3 other co-workers (before they owned their houses) said they used to OWE all the time.

Gotta pay to play right? :/

What about you Dan, we are close in salaries, are you getting anything back?

Filed married this year, and Wifey took classes, so we were eligible to write off quite a bit, and were eligible for a tax break due to schooling as well. Sizable refund, vastly more than my $900 from last year.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
I admit this year is quite a bit less than previous years. Last year I got around $9k or so. The year before that $12k. This year around $4k. But a couple years ago I also paid over $25k in FEDERAL taxes. Last year I made a little less than the previous year, and this year I made SIGNIFICANTLY less than the previous years.

But all in all, I got back just about what I expected. So I'm content.

The 'middle class' bracket is a 10% jump right? Goes from 15% to 25% if you cleared $36,250.

Gross Pay Calculator

I know you are heavy commission (which can fluctuate all over), so your work may not have expected you to clear as much as you did. Or they don't care and just pull your base pay tax rate.

ah that would be my answer then. im above that, so maybe i moved brackets. but still odd that my coworker with same w9 filing from start of employment. She made a little more and still got her usual like last year.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
ah that would be my answer then. im above that, so maybe i moved brackets. but still odd that my coworker with same w9 filing from start of employment. She made a little more and still got her usual like last year.

Maybe she didn't claim herself to get a bigger return intentionally?

Or maybe your work is just crappy at taxing its employees correctly.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info