Time to laugh at Turk's expense and learn from his mistakes v. PlastiDip

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
Audi clear coat is very thick, about 100+ microns thick actually. Compounding and polish only removes 2-3 microns on average, and audi paint is also VERY hard, so it's possible that all the word I did removed a total of 3 microns off the clear on the hood.

It's virtually impossible to go through the paint with an orbital, I'd expect you'd need to do what I did this weekend about 100 times to actually cause a problem.

The picture was taken after I sealed the hood, I don't use wax anymore.

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
I cant wait to peel [MENTION=653]BrianG[/MENTION] 's car now :rofl:

31925695.jpg

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
sealants? you youngins and all your god damn technology!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LI5009MJx0&feature=youtu.be

You'll have to come by one day and I can show you some basic things. It's all a lot easier than you probably think it is, and it helps knowing how to do this stuff when you own a black car! :)

I use Wolfgang sealant, it takes about half as long to do the car in that sealant compared to waxing. It's super easy to apply and even easier to remove.

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
You'll have to come by one day and I can show you some basic things. It's all a lot easier than you probably think it is, and it helps knowing how to do this stuff when you own a black car! :)

I use Wolfgang sealant, it takes about half as long to do the car in that sealant compared to waxing. It's super easy to apply and even easier to remove.

probably take you up on that, black car is Xpel'd top to bottom though

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
My biggest problem with Xpel is that it seems to swirl before the paint does. I've seen hoods half done, the expel is all cloudy and swirled while the paint that isn't covered looks fine. You lose that luster and depth of the paint when you cover it with the clear bra. Just my opinion though.

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
no swirls ever, let alone scratches, I don't towel dry though so there's really never a chance of swirls, the last part I do semi agree with though, I bought some gear to try to bring some luster and depth, but after 3 years of nothing but washes, its holding up super good. I should have been using an Xpel sealant I just bought throughout, which my installer did not inform me of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6oEgfdwUU0

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info