Thinking of adopting a kitten/cat. Teach me!

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Then I guess I'm a giant fat piece of shit. All three of mine have the fronts declawed and their balls chopped off. Guess what? My furniture is pristine now and they fucking LOVE life. I've never seen any other cats acts like such dogs, as my three do. Hell, I play fetch with my smallest, just like a puppy.

If its an indoor cat, declawing is fine IMO. Its when they are indoor/outdoor cats is when you basically fuck them for protecting themselves outdoors.

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012
3444a60ad43e2ce72cd042c44f442366.jpg

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
If its an indoor cat, declawing is fine IMO. Its when they are indoor/outdoor cats is when you basically fuck them for protecting themselves outdoors.

No it's actually not. The declawing isn't just removing the claws. It's removing the last digit of their toes and since cats walk on their toes you change the geometry of how they walk, not to mention the possibility of terrible nerve pain.

Source: thepawproject.com

People wonder why the cat shits outside the litter box, think about cutting the tips of your fingers off and crawling through gravel

wombat

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 29, 2007
WI
Good info in here so far. I will never declaw a cat again after owning one with claws that uses his less than the one that IS front declawed. My front declawed cat has clawed up our furniture more than the one with all 4 claws. The reason why? She loves to put her toy under the couch and get it out, that's all great and dandy. Until she pushes it too far in and can't use her CLAWS to grab it, she's learned to reach further in using her back claws to give her that extra push to reach behind it and bring it toward her. If she had her front claws, she wouldn't have to reach the extra distance.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
We had a kitten for about 2 years before finding another and decided to keep it. It calmed our other cat waaaay down and they'll play/chase/fight each other and tire themselves out. 2 cats aren't really any harder than 1. Just 1 more litter box, food bowl and water bowl.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
That's not always a viable option either. ..it can take awhile before they start to act out especially if food aggressive or territorial.

I never said i agreed with declawing, I simply stated that if it was a choice between death or no claws, I'd choose declawing. Also stated their are plenty of cats out there that already have it done. Chances are they are going to be alot older and if OP is looking for a young one to raise, then I guess that is his choice.

Half of our cats are declawed, prior to our ownership of course, and never ever do they go outside the box unless we are gone for 3 days or more and someone doesn't stop by to clean the boxes...

Also for cat boxes, look into the omega. Find it on amazon. Roll it, hit it, and empty the bin..

PJx5x

TCG Elite Member
Sep 29, 2005
Villa Park
I went through this earlier this year. I ended up adoption two kittens (4 months old maybe), and am very happy they talked me into that. They play with each other and are pretty calm, dont destroy shit, etc. Only bad thing they do is eat any food on the counter.

I would recommend these:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005E2S77C/?tag=tcg21-20

So easy to clean, and doesnt smell.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000L3XYZ4/?tag=tcg21-20

Keeps water fresh and I only have to add water every week or two. They love aerated and moving water. I put it on a cheap outlet timer I had from xmas lights so it doesnt run all the time.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0018N38P2/?tag=tcg21-20

Mine really like these compressed cardboard scratching boards. They destroyed that triangle base for it so I threw it away. But the stacked corrogated things is perfect, dump a little catnip on it once in a while and my furniture is doing great.

zenriddles

Guns don't kill people, 'vaccines' do
Aug 18, 2005
Holiday Inn
They definitely are. I was against it at first, but our first cat Wrigley is a lot happier(and healthier physically) after he has had a playmate.

Did you name it Comiskey?

Might have as well, as adding any other cat in my 'wife's' house has worked out. Our (HER) cat will not tolerate another in the building. Period.
But it WILL play with pet dogs, rats, birds, ferrets, and just about any other thing we have dragged home over the last 1/5th century.

Any cat/kitten added to the clan has been treated poorly by her cat from day one and has to go.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
That's not always a viable option either. ..it can take awhile before they start to act out especially if food aggressive or territorial.

I never said i agreed with declawing, I simply stated that if it was a choice between death or no claws, I'd choose declawing. Also stated their are plenty of cats out there that already have it done. Chances are they are going to be alot older and if OP is looking for a young one to raise, then I guess that is his choice.

Half of our cats are declawed, prior to our ownership of course, and never ever do they go outside the box unless we are gone for 3 days or more and someone doesn't stop by to clean the boxes...

Also for cat boxes, look into the omega. Find it on amazon. Roll it, hit it, and empty the bin..
You for sure did initially

Declaw the fronts, not the rears. Household cats don't need front claws for anything. Rear claws are needed for scratching themselves

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info