The ULTIMATE Coyote vs. LS3 thread.

C.Evans

TCG Elite Member
May 21, 2011
Sycamore, IL
So you're comparing a stock 412hp 5.0 to a 480hp "Hot Cam" LS3? The stock LS3 puts out 430hp.

Yeah, that was my point when saying that the 5.0 doesn't make much less power considering what GM offers from the factory with its LS3. 376 c.i. and a decent sized cam and good flowing heads. Only 68 hp more? Not impressive. I guess we could compare the 430hp version too. :s00ls:

CrunkMaro

DurkaDurkaTerrorist
Jun 17, 2010
cheaper to mod an ls1 IMO.
its a great garage mechanic motor
valve covers come off in <15 minutes
intake comes off in <30 minutes
heads come off in <1 hour
Cam swap done in <6 hours

on an ls3 you can do a heads/cam package and put down 500ish at the wheels, still drive it daily and still get 25+mpg on the highway.

you can build a 450rwhp 'ls3' for less than 3k including the block.

sure the coyote motor is good news, its a great technical advancement and should make car guys (regardless of team) happy that we are progressing vs going backwards.

but the cost of those things are still skyhigh IMO.

i'd rather piece together a full exhaust for 300 bucks.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
There is no other engine out there that will be able to beat an LS series motor for the size, weight, power, price, and packaging. It really is a great motor. If you give the Coyote time to age well, parts will become more plentiful and cheaper much the same way the LS has.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Some specs on Ford power plants:

FordPowerplants.jpg

vs the LS3:

LS3specs.jpg

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
I think that both platforms are VERY capable. The LS has been around longer and proven itself more and has a FAR more significant aftermarket following simply by virtue of being around longer.

The coyote platform will have had the same benefits of time as the LS in 10 years. THEN we'll know which really is better.

Right now, for stock, I think the coyote is superior. For mods though, its still LS all the way.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
There is no other engine out there that will be able to beat an LS series motor for the size, weight, power, price, and packaging. It really is a great motor. If you give the Coyote time to age well, parts will become more plentiful and cheaper much the same way the LS has.

t-1.jpg

Both new 5.0 and ls3 are good platforms. Be glad it's not like the modular 4.6 all over again, The only one that was worth a damn were in the termi's IMO. I don't think there is much to argue about the new stuff we have. Both are solid in their own right.

For the record, I have a brand new "hot cammed" LS3 crate engine sitting in my garage.

ill take it off your hands if youd like.

I think that both platforms are VERY capable. The LS has been around longer and proven itself more and has a FAR more significant aftermarket following simply by virtue of being around longer.

The coyote platform will have had the same benefits of time as the LS in 10 years. THEN we'll know which really is better.

Right now, for stock, I think the coyote is superior. For mods though, its still LS all the way.

:werd: :h5:

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
The LS has been around longer and proven itself more and has a FAR more significant aftermarket following simply by virtue of being around longer.

The LSX motors were a clean sheet design for 97, the Coyote is based on the Modular motor family that has been around since 92.

Either way, I'm amazed to not see this thread going to hell :bowrofl:

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
additionally though... the ls blocks can be built up. the coyotes can't... which is almost a moot point because its not really necessary... but if you have something go caput on the coyote block with that new sprayed in design... dont you have to get a new one? can't you not "fix" em?

whereas an LS block can be re-sleeved or bored or whatever...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info