The ULTIMATE Coyote vs. LS3 thread.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
When it comes down to it, both motors have their strengths. The LS motors are great at making power with a compact overall size with low internal rotating mass. It is tried and true reliability with a great aftermarket support. The Coyote is the new kid on the block, it makes great power, and from what has been done thus far it looks like there is a ton of power left to be taken out. The size of the motor itself is a little disproportionate to what it actually displaces, but that is one of the drawbacks of a DOHC design. However, it is fairly cheap to get into, and the aftermarket is really building.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
This is like comparing old versus new. One thing you cannot compare yet is reliability. We know the LS can take a licking and keep on ticking. I am sure the Coyote will be able to as well.

Really this is a matter of preference. In the end you get a great motor either way.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
This is like comparing old versus new. One thing you cannot compare yet is reliability. We know the LS can take a licking and keep on ticking. I am sure the Coyote will be able to as well.

Really this is a matter of preference. In the end you get a great motor either way.

As Prim had already brought up, it's still a modular motor, which have proven to be nearly unstoppable in police/taxi applications since the early 90's, while the LS series really emerged in the late 90's (but of course you can say it started from the LT design etc etc).

C.Evans

TCG Elite Member
May 21, 2011
Sycamore, IL
I'm a ford swinger, but I bet they've gotten more than that out of boosted 4.8 LS motors with the right fuel/tuning. I know they have out of 5.3's.

There was an article on here about a 4.8 getting 1200+ with boost and another OEM LS cam and springs.

I bet they are pretty reliable too. :hsughlol:

Only 12-13 lbs of boost on the 5.0 isn't going to push head gaskets, or have rods hanging out of the block unlike that 1200hp 4.8 would.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I bet they are pretty reliable too. :hsughlol:

Only 12-13 lbs of boost on the 5.0 isn't going to push head gaskets, or have rods hanging out of the block unlike that 1200hp 4.8 would.

They got 600+hp out of 7PSI with twin turbos, 900+hp @15PSI they got 1200+ with 26PSI. They used stock rods, and tore it down afterwards. They thought it probably could have survived a whole season if not more.

http://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...in-76mm-turbo-4-8l-1200hp-still-going-485734/

I'd still have bought my mustang if it had an LS motor under the hood. GM's only sporty coupe that I considered when shopping was the GTO, and it has too many reliability concerns with everything except for the engine...

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
And 600+ on a 5.0..... with a supercharger.... which takes power to run it.

That 4.8 is tough, I'll give you that.

The whole article is nuts, granted the guys that did this were using race gas and were very VERY familiar with the power plant.

the Modular 4.6's of the past 2 decades just aren't as strong internally and like to give up the ghost at 450hp or so. The Forged ones (ala Terminator) have shown to be able to put out 1000+ on stock blocks as well though. 6 of one, half dozen of another I guess.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info