The Tesla S P100D makes at least 920lb ft of torque

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
You can get a higher (70kish) mileage 85kwh for low $40,000's. That's a pretty swell deal when you look at what else 40k gets you, you factor in the 8 year unlimited mileage drivetrain warranty and you account for your monthly gas spend.

Some of you guys are spending more than your car payment each month in gas.

i could see this in a few rare occasions, averaged out, for people who drive a shit ton... i.e. [MENTION=1983]Outlaw[/MENTION]

thinking about it. i might actually be in months where i drive a lot and my truck is thirsty.

truck payment is ~$425... between the beemer and the pickup, i think i could cross $425 in fuel in a month occasionally.

say $300 of that is for the truck, at 2.50 a gallon at avg of 10 mpgs if it's cold and im letting it stay running places, that's 1200 miles... since i've had my truck in august, i've put 7k on it... which is around 1,000 miles per month.

then $125 for the beemer at 2.79 a gallon because premium bro at 27 mpg is 1200 miles per month. and since i've had the beemer since october, i've put 6k on it... which is 1,000 miles per month... so close.

random thoughts are random. /ramble

Exactly. Say your payment is 300 a month. But you fill up 5 full tanks each month. Each tank is about 35-40 dollars. Assuming between 15-20 gallon tank. That's 175 more dollars.

So you spend 475 each month. Not including oil changes etc etc etc.

Drive a truck? Add even more to that due to tank size and terrible fuel eco.

:werd:

right gas plus vehicle payment could justify the tesla price tag in some cases

i agree with this.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
i could see this in a few rare occasions, averaged out, for people who drive a shit ton... i.e. [MENTION=1983]Outlaw[/MENTION]

thinking about it. i might actually be in months where i drive a lot and my truck is thirsty.

truck payment is ~$425... between the beemer and the pickup, i think i could cross $425 in fuel in a month occasionally.

say $300 of that is for the truck, at 2.50 a gallon at avg of 10 mpgs if it's cold and im letting it stay running places, that's 1200 miles... since i've had my truck in august, i've put 7k on it... which is around 1,000 miles per month.

then $125 for the beemer at 2.79 a gallon because premium bro at 27 mpg is 1200 miles per month. and since i've had the beemer since october, i've put 6k on it... which is 1,000 miles per month... so close.

random thoughts are random. /ramble

:werd:

i agree with this.

I'm still considering a Model 3 once they're out. I figure the Supercharger network will be much further developed in 2-3 years and I'll be back to a 38ish mile commute round trip. It didn't make sense to own anything economical with a 6 mile roundtrip commute or 1000 mile drives taking up most of my usage. One was too short to warrant the savings, one is too far to use the tesla reasonably.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Are we all reading the same thread?!?!

Yeah....I'd think that's a pretty rare case where people are spending more on gas then their car.

Your statement of payment+gas could be cheaper than payment +electricity is probably true in many cases.

If you understand the sentiment behind what I'm saying, why must you nitpick each tiny point? Yes, some people here are paying more for gas each month than they're paying for their vehicle. That's not to say everyone or even most but some.

And the underlying point, which I suspect you know, is that if you factor in what you pay for fuel you can basically add that to your monthly payment and end up in a much nicer car than you would otherwise have.

I pay marginally less for my Tesla lease than I did for my 535D and I had to buy diesel for the Bimmer. I'm not a special flower. That applies to basically anyone. The point is there are a lot of scenarios where you can make a compelling case for the Tesla.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
that cavalier style interior should be pretty damn comfortable to take a nap while your car charges at khols.

once again mike k proves cali is the land of fruits and nuts.

sorry mike, im just salty about WBS, send me some leftover decals for posterity kthnx

On a semi-related note, I have a hard time describing the interior. While it's not nearly as nice as say an A8 or a 7 series, it's not cheap either and it doesn't creak or rattle. The dash is covered in suede and leather, the door panels are covered in leather, the seats are really comfortable and really everything wears nicely.

My chief complaint, and I think most people's complaint, is missing features and design. It's weird to not have door pockets. It's weird to not have lights on the fold down visor mirrors. The missing center console isn't a feature like some of the :nutz: seemed to think it was and the comically cheap console they're now putting in the cars isn't a suitable alternative.

They excel in certain areas and in other areas seem to unnecessarily cut corners. But I think they know this. They know that as soon as the Model 3 comes out they're going to need to differentiate between models. They know that there's very real criticism coming from those spending $140,000 who say their car looks identical to those spending $66,000.

That said, once you live with the car you realize how little you care. A friend of mine just bought a P100D. He agonized over it for a couple years. First he was waiting on the facelift. Once that came out he was waiting on the 100kw battery. When that finally came out he decided to wait for Autopilot 2. Once that came out he bought.

One of his chief complaints was that there wasn't enough differentiation in the interior and that the interior overall was pretty meh. I asked him yesterday how he likes the car now that he's had it for a few months:

"love it. love it so much i can’t believe it."

So like I said... You overlook the small stuff because the car does so many things so well. Once they do get an industry leading interior in there though... Oh me oh my. That will be fun.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
[MENTION=19]Yaj Yak[/MENTION]

Then again, I could buy a $10,000 TDI and get 50mpg on diesel and it would take years to make up the fuel usage difference even factoring zero charge cost on the Tesla.

100,000 miles at 45MPG (low avg I saw in my TDI) would use 2,222 gal of fuel at a current avg cost of $2.29 for diesel would roughly cost $5,100. Even factoring in $5,000 in maintenance over that 100,000 miles I could drive over 200,000 before breaking even. We all know I won't own a car that long :rofl:

Assuming an additional $25,000 for a Model 3 over the used V-dub and I would be able to drive the car anywhere without range limitations or plotting a trip from supercharger to supercharger.

I know it's apples to oranges, but, that's how I think. [MENTION=396]Mike K[/MENTION]'s scenario makes perfect sense of "better car for your higher payment once factoring fuel into the mix" but, from my situation of it being a 2nd vehicle I'd like to inexpensively purchase, it doesn't quite fit the bill.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
If you understand the sentiment behind what I'm saying, why must you nitpick each tiny point? Yes, some people here are paying more for gas each month than they're paying for their vehicle. That's not to say everyone or even most but some.

And the underlying point, which I suspect you know, is that if you factor in what you pay for fuel you can basically add that to your monthly payment and end up in a much nicer car than you would otherwise have.

I pay marginally less for my Tesla lease than I did for my 535D and I had to buy diesel for the Bimmer. I'm not a special flower. That applies to basically anyone. The point is there are a lot of scenarios where you can make a compelling case for the Tesla.

I don't think its nitpicking to state that gas > payment is much different than payment+gas > payment+electric for people buying $50k+ cars. Maybe just me, but I think they're very different, and one applies to many whereas the other applies to a very small amount of people. I'm curious if there is even anyone on TCG that financed a $50k+ car, that has or does consistently spend more on their gas than the payment itself....besides you of course. Personally, I haven't made a car payment since I was 22 year old...so even $1 of gas is more for me.

I think the compelling case for the Model S exists for people looking at either 5 series, E class, A6's...or even S550's, 750's, or A8's. The value is there and makes sense if you're willing to accept certain trade offs (ie; interior). The thing is...its not a huge market and it doesn't apply to most. Outside of those comparisons though, the the car is just too expensive for what you are getting and/or impractical to try and justify any type of benefit.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info