Tesla Unveils Roadster 2.0 and Semi

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
I've been saying it for a long time on here. Tesla is in a league of its own, and if the other big manufacturers don't get in line, they will be put out of business! Everyone got all up in arms when the Model S was faster than that dinosaur Challenger Demon, now Tesla releases an actual sports car...and it will absolutely humiliate a Demon in the quarter mile.

These truly are engineering Marvels and Elon Musk is likely the greatest innovator to walk the planet in the last 50 years.

bnr32

Regular
TCG Premium
Nov 6, 2013
I've been saying it for a long time on here. Tesla is in a league of its own, and if the other big manufacturers don't get in line, they will be put out of business! Everyone got all up in arms when the Model S was faster than that dinosaur Challenger Demon, now Tesla releases an actual sports car...and it will absolutely humiliate a Demon in the quarter mile.

These truly are engineering Marvels and Elon Musk is likely the greatest innovator to walk the planet in the last 50 years.

lol not even close.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
I’m simply saying if your struggling to sell a 80-100k sedan that really is a great car, and struggling to get off the ground on your affordable car you don’t announce a 250k sports car. It makes zero sense, it feels like a smoke and mirror show to take away from the fact things are not going well for them

gives them good margin and marketing keeping the brand sexy. did this compromise the 3/targets or the truck? probably little i would think, vs. what they get on return with the roadster.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Upended? No. I would watch what Cummins does with their electric truck than I would Tesla.

As someone who entered the corporate truck industry as of late, I can assure you none of the big 3 truck companies are scared.

Unlike cars trucks are people’s lively hood. When a truck goes down it’s huge pressure to turn it around ASAP. For which case you need a huge parts network, massive service network and people.

All of which Tesla does not have. It will be a very long time before they enter the semi market in a serious way. They have a very long way to go

I agree. Tesla seems to be over-extending themselves. It's critical for the long term health of the company for production to be hit on the 3 and that's been by all accounts a disaster. The roadster is cool, but they need the 3 to sell in volumes.

I see Elon Musk as a modern day PT Barnum making sensational claims, bold statements, etc. Musk delivers on the bare minimum to keep Wall Street and his loyal followers happy.

BTW, do you work for Navistar? I have a friend that works at the corporate office.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
https://techcrunch.com/2017/11/17/walmart-plans-to-pilot-test-the-new-tesla-semi/

Walmart says that it intends to be among the first companies to pilot Tesla’s new all-electric Semi heavy-duty truck. The retailer told CNBC that it’s “excited to be among the first” to test the new vehicle, and to see how it might help them achieve “long-term sustainability goals” including decreasing their overall emissions footprint.

The retailer will pilot the Tesla Semi across both U.S. and Canada, the company says. Walmart operates around 6,000 of its own trucks currently to transfer stock from distribution centers to its stores.

This is a sign of how the Tesla Semi could make a bigger impact than many might suspect on the trucking industry. Cost of vehicle is definitely a consideration, and Tesla hasn’t said much about what the trucks will retail for once available, but cost of operation is something they addressed, saying it’s below that of diesel Class 8 heavy duty vehicles.

But Walmart’s statement reveals yet another key selling point: Tesla’s Semi can help with corporate sustainability efforts, and companies all over the world have committed to reducing emissions and lowering their ecological impact, whether due to internal targets and image considerations, or requirements from regulators and governing bodies.

The Tesla Semi checks a lot of boxes in terms of addressing bottom line considerations, offering 500 miles of range to avoid too much compromise vs. diesel truck travel capability, and providing a way for a company to decrease its net CO2 emissions without having to undertake expensive endeavors like sponsoring the construction of renewable power plants.

This is also the first sign that Tesla’s Semi announcement isn’t just a flashy stage show: A pilot partner eager to talk about actually using the trucks immediately shows there’s some some fire behind the smoke.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
Guys...this runs an 8.9. What is the next fastest car?

I saw a white Nissan GTR over the summer at GLD, and the thing had its own trailer and literally a team of mechanics with it. This thing literally had a team of 8-10 people with it.

It had slicks on all 4 wheels, they were checking track temperature and crap when it got up to run....and it was running 8 second quarter miles.

This thing runs 8's STOCK!

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013

Boy they better get it right in the first try. If they blow it completely with Walmart their semi is done. Normally you would ramp up slowly with beta testing with smaller customers, not a large fleet.

More power to them but bold strategy cotton let’s see how it pays out for you

Note customers this large normally have big fees for missed production deadlines. Normally in the hundreds of dollars a day if a unit is not built in time..........that could single handedly ruin Tesla

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Guys...this runs an 8.9. What is the next fastest car?

I saw a white Nissan GTR over the summer at GLD, and the thing had its own trailer and literally a team of mechanics with it. This thing literally had a team of 8-10 people with it.

It had slicks on all 4 wheels, they were checking track temperature and crap when it got up to run....and it was running 8 second quarter miles.

This thing runs 8's STOCK!

As an enthusiast, it's cool and I appreciate the speed, but this seems to be a distraction. Tesla can certainly engineer products, but they might not have the cash to bring them to market as they haven't been able to meet product deadlines for the three, which was supposed to be their volume model.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Will get about 100miles per charge, maybe, depending on the load size......

:jg:

A carbon fiber cab. A centrally-mounted driving position, like in a McLaren F1. A 500-mile range. Zero to 60 mph in five seconds. Semi-autonomous convoy capability. This is the Tesla Semi.

If Tesla can actually get it built, of course.

Musk immediately launched into some specs—and there’s a lot to take in. In particular, he claimed at highway speed, carrying a maximum load, the truck can handle a 500 mile range on a single charge.

In a side-by-side comparison of how fast it takes a diesel truck to move 0-60, he showed how quickly the Tesla semi can hit it: 5 seconds.

The interior offers one of the most striking features, up front. There’s center-mounted seating, like a McLaren F1.

“You’re positioned like a race car,” Musk said.

Musk also put to rest any questions about whether the truck will have automated capabilities on the highway. Every semi comes equipped with the latest Autopilot suite, he said, keeping the truck within a lane and allowing for automatic braking.

Onboard sensors will sniff out any signs of jackknifing and adjust power to the individual wheels to keep the ride steady.

He’s also boasting confidently about the semi’s safety and reliability—an interesting twist for a company that’s copped to having quality issues in previous products. Musk said the semi’s powertrain will be guaranteed for 1 million miles. With an electric powertrain, the brake pads will have “quasi-infinite” lifespans thanks to regenerative braking, he said.

Musk seemed particularly overjoyed about an over-the-top feature, surely to be an attraction to truckers across the world: explosion-proof glass. Seriously.

“It survives a nuclear explosion,” he said, “or you get a full refund.”

Even though Tesla’s factory in Fremont is packed to capacity, Musk felt confident enough to offer up this: if you order the truck now, it’ll arrive in 2019. It’s unclear where Tesla plans to build the truck, or how much it’ll cost to launch production. For context: those at the end of the Model 3 reservation line are expected to receive their all-electric sedan around that time, too.

“If you order the truck now,” Musk said, “you’ll get it in two years.”

We’ll update the post shortly, but in the meantime, here’s a full look at the vehicle.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info