Tesla Model 3 Reveal Event - 7/29/2017

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
Just released yesterday.

https://jalopnik.com/surprise-the-t...ource=jalopnik_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Bigger battery option is $9,000.

Part of the article states once you change the color, add bigger wheels/tires and autopilot, it is a $43,000 car, plus tax on that $43,000, just shy of $50,000, less $7500 (IF YOU QUALIFY FOR THAT MUCH OF A REFUND) puts you around $42,000-$43,000.

It sucks for folks in IL as the additional $3,500 rebate was done away with, otherwise you'd be potentially looking at over $10,000 back. Lucky we got over $11,000 on our volt between state/federal rebates for the electric car.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Bigger battery and the heated seats etc is about all I would get. Auto pilot is still pretty early in Beta, if your not on a perfect road it still freaks out, that and I'm not at that point where I would require it.

Wish you could customize it on their site right now but unfortunately u cannot yet

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
They promised a 215 mile range car for $35,000 well equipped and people are getting that but yes, you can outfit it with the bigger battery, wheels, etc and kick up the price by a lot. Right now a fully loaded car with autopilot but without full self driving will set you back $54,000.

That's $35,000 for the car, $5000 for the premium upgrade package and $5000 for Autopilot. All cars come with Autopilot/ full self driving hardware so you don't have to add that right away. If you find that suddenly you're doing a lot of highway driving and Autopilot might suit you then you can add that after the fact.

So right now, $54,000 gets you a 5.1 second 0-60, 310 mile range EV with all options but self driving (assuming you're cool with black and standard wheels which I am). The closest spec'd Model S to this would be a 100D that gets 25 miles more range and accelerates to 60 in 4.2 seconds. Other features would be identical. The cost of the Model S would be $107,000. Tesla REALLY needs to bring the interior of the Model S upmarket and add some premium features that luxury buyers want like heads up display, a truly premium interior, a name brand stereo, etc. Because they're going to cannibalize their S sales with the 3. As it sits, it's not worth me spending the $75,000 I was going to for a standard S when I can get a long range 3 for $20,000 less that accelerates to 60mph .9 seconds slower but has 60 miles more range.

Will keep the forum advised. Since I'm in California and I'm an existing owner I should have my car in the next 6 months theoretically. I'm not sure what it's going to replace. I'll probably just put it up on Turo because people are going to pay a premium just to be able to play with it.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
After watching the latest video showing the interior screen during an actual delivery and how to navigate things... I thoroughly dislike this car so far.

Wipers are now activated via the screen (there is no intermit setting only on/off right now)

There is no FM/AM radio, Bluetooth does not work yet, steering wheel adjustments, mirror adjustments, literally everything has to be done on this screen.

Why is that bad? Well because now to turn on the wipers you have to take your eyes off the road and hunt for the wiper button, and then again press another button to turn them on. All while possible inclement weather.

Want to change your vents direction? Yep you have to hunt through screens all while your driving to find them and adjust them.

Honestly I think this is a major fail for Tesla....... yet it will sell like crazy to those not used to the technology and who want to say they have a Tesla for 35k. But for me this car is a flop.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I'm not going to convince anyone otherwise but as an owner, and someone that's been critical of Tesla's execution on some products, this is not something you will care about. You think you will but you won't.

Right now basically everything in the S is done through the center screen. Turn on the headlights? Center screen. Change the radio station? Center screen. Climate control settings? Center screen. It becomes second nature to use the center screen and what might on it's face seem like a huge inconvenience just isn't.

All of the 3's will have automatic wipers so even that setting really isn't going to be accessed that much and if it is you'll just have it up on the screen and it won't be a big deal. You think it will be. You're sure it will be but it won't be. Take it from someone that deals with it every day. There's plenty to worry about in terms of execution. This and all the complaining about the missing instrument cluster... neither are real problems.

Other stuff like bluetooth not working and the wipers just going on an off is of course going to be updated in software before initial deliveries to real customers. Of course the car is going to have bluetooth. Of course the car is going to have intermittent wipers. Come on guys. :rofl:

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
I'm not going to convince anyone otherwise but as an owner, and someone that's been critical of Tesla's execution on some products, this is not something you will care about. You think you will but you won't.

Right now basically everything in the S is done through the center screen. Turn on the headlights? Center screen. Change the radio station? Center screen. Climate control settings? Center screen. It becomes second nature to use the center screen and what might on it's face seem like a huge inconvenience just isn't.

All of the 3's will have automatic wipers so even that setting really isn't going to be accessed that much and if it is you'll just have it up on the screen and it won't be a big deal. You think it will be. You're sure it will be but it won't be. Take it from someone that deals with it every day. There's plenty to worry about in terms of execution. This and all the complaining about the missing instrument cluster... neither are real problems.

Other stuff like bluetooth not working and the wipers just going on an off is of course going to be updated in software before initial deliveries to real customers. Of course the car is going to have bluetooth. Of course the car is going to have intermittent wipers. Come on guys. :rofl:

They can work great all they want, and im sure they do. I'm simply saying I dont like how it looks to my eye, it looks like an afterthought to me. Something that's not pleasing to my eye isn't something I'll just all of a sudden start liking because it works well.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
They can work great all they want, and im sure they do. I'm simply saying I dont like how it looks to my eye, it looks like an afterthought to me. Something that's not pleasing to my eye isn't something I'll just all of a sudden start liking because it works well.

I'm not talking about aesthetics. That's purely subjective. I didn't like the whole "iPad glued to the dash" look either when everyone started going that way. Now it doesn't bother me so much and I think I actually prefer it to the way the S is laid out. But yeah, that's all personal opinion.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
I'm not talking about aesthetics. That's purely subjective. I didn't like the whole "iPad glued to the dash" look either when everyone started going that way. Now it doesn't bother me so much and I think I actually prefer it to the way the S is laid out. But yeah, that's all personal opinion.

Yeah, it would just bug me so I'd pass... Glad theyre coming down in price though.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info