Tesla Model 3 Reveal Event - 7/29/2017

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Yeah that sucked. No information at all. No real shots of the interior. No mention of the custom AC/ heat vents that are the entire length of the dash or how they work, no showing the trunk, no showing the frunk, no mention of extra features. That was horrible.

This scares me a bit in terms of optics. It looks bad.

Stink Star

Donā€™t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Yeah that sucked. No information at all. No real shots of the interior. No mention of the custom AC/ heat vents that are the entire length of the dash or how they work, no showing the trunk, no showing the frunk, no mention of extra features. That was horrible.

This scares me a bit in terms of optics. It looks bad.

Do we even know if the thing is RWD or AWD? Iā€™d assume RWD due to price. Also how much to turn on supercharging or autopilot?

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
Looks like they're on the right track, except for the interior.
Way too minimalist and it really needs a speedo in front of the driver, unless it has a HUD.

We need to keep in mind that this is supposed to be a "cheap" Tesla for the masses. It might just fit the bill eventually as it evolves.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
You wouldn't be tilting your head or changing focus. That's what I think is giving people this sense of rage. They think they're going to have to move their head or look somewhere drastically different. On my S I can keep my head perfectly still and either look down at my instrument cluster or (without moving my head) I can look at the top left of my touchscreen and it's no worse; just different. My touchscreen is also further right and down from where it will be on the 3.

Looking at the picture of the 3, the actual speed will likely be just a few inches to the right of where it would have otherwise been. Put differently, if we got into a car with a traditional gauge cluster and the speedometer was on the left side of the cluster and then we got into another car and it was on the right side, we wouldn't notice the difference at all and indeed many cars are different in this respect. As far as your eyes go, this will be no bigger difference than that kind of change... I suspect. Maybe I'm wrong. None of us have sat in one but in my little experiment not only did I not care but I actually found the touchscreen to be ever so slightly less of a distraction to look at.

looking at it i have a hard time imagining it's a difference i'd want. it looks like if you don't move your eyes you're still straining them off to the side in an unnatural way. i suppose until i plopped my ass in a seat it's really hard to tell. it's not a particularly attractive looking to me. it makes sense when thinking of the car as more of a automotive appliance utility that drives me places vs. thing i control and have fun with.

Yeah, a heads up display would have been a great compromise. When I see people praising instrument clusters like Audi's new one...

Audi-A4-B9-2015-de-327-600x375.jpg

... I can't help but to question what the real benefit is other than it looking cool. Essentially they just moved the center display over to the instrument cluster when in reality, it's no more convenient for me to look at a map in the instrument cluster than it is in the center display. The best display has always been the heads up. You could eliminate the need for an instrument cluster altogether.

The heads up display in my 535D was huge and projected actual images. So as I'd approach an intersection a map would pop up in the windshield showing me what lane I should be in. Other info like my speed and the current speed limit would also be displayed there. I really feel like it's a missed opportunity on Tesla's part not to at least have a heads up display.

i thought 'i wouldn't pay for this dam gimmick' but a HUD came with the e60 545i i bought. and it was not as advanced as yours to be sure but i grew to love it, it was very cool. speed and gps all right there. missed it when i bought the brz. surprised they are not more commonplace now really.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Door handles haven't been an issue for years. They were an issue for the first year or so and the only reason you still hear about them is because Tesla just replaces them as they fail. So the old cars out there with old handles still have them fixed.

If you're a nice person with an old car you can just ask your service advisor to swap them out and they'll look at you and be like "so all your door handles are having issues?". And then you'll look back at them confused because you don't realize they're trying to get you to describe a problem they can write down on the service order and you say "no, they're all fine". And then your service writer will again say "so they're all having issues then?". And finally your ancient lizard mind will kick into gear and you'll realize what he's saying and you'll say "oh yeah! They're all broken". Then you'll buy him a handle of jack for taking care of you. True story!

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
That would likely be an outlier. The older cars have a bunch of common problems. Nothing horrible. Elon said one of the problems they had early on was that the tier one suppliers didn't really take them seriously and so they had to go to secondary suppliers for some components.

Door handles, LCD screens, tire pressure monitor systems, water in the tail-lights, failing (bit not completely breaking) drive units and rare battery failures are about as bad as it gets for the old cars. Even still, I wouldn't avoid an older car. The parts are all easy to replace and now they're readily available and the battery/ motor are covered until at least 2021.

Moving from my 2013 to my 2015 has been night and day though. I had my heated seat go out for a bit on the 2015 and that's been it. No error codes, no issues at all. People are going to be shocked when they realize how little breaks and how little their new cars need any kind of maintenance.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info