Task: Put a heater in Eagle's garage

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
I wasn't going to chance it, this 20kva generator, big furnace, and gas dryer were too much. Not even sure what happens if certain appliances are starved of NG either..

7e3403dc44.png

Generator. BALLIN

I was about to ask what the fuck were you running but then thought hey maybe he doesn't want us to know! lol

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
I will be the oddball here and say even though my gas line runs through the ceiling of my garage I choose to go electric. Why cause I'm a cheap ass.

I did research a few years ago when I was doing powdercoating out of my garage and having open flames with pc fumes wasn't a good thing. So I tried an electric heater, amazingly enough for my 2 1/2 garage with open ceiling I could keep the garage at 70 degrees (only when I was out in the garage not 24/7) for only a few bucks a month. Honestly my air compressor used far more electricity.

I'm running an older model of this unit (can't find mine for sale anymore)

NewAir G73 240V 5,000 Watt Electric Garage Heater

It only takes an hour or two for this unit to heat my garage up from 30-40 to 70 degrees. The thermostat will keep it there and I can work on the car in a t-shirt if I wanted. The only caveat is you need to have a 220 outlet to supply power.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Not so odd. My brother has electric. it is good for occasional heat vs constant.

Also you can not have to worry about fumes if you go concentric vent, like I did. It only burns outside air so I have an intake and an exhaust.

PVC version:

45191d1307042272-would-you-say-vent-placement-nordyne-concentric-vent.jpg

Mine is metal and shaped a bit different (goes through roof) but this gives you an idea.

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
kVA or kW? Batteries backups are usually rated kVA and generators kW

you are correct, spec sheet above, this sits behind my main and secondary panels so all outlets are live within 45 seconds of utility failure. Then I got two 3kva's UPS's powering a computer rack, then another 3 1500va for other computer shit throughout the house.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
you are correct, spec sheet above, this sits behind my main and secondary panels so all outlets are live within 45 seconds of utility failure. Then I got two 3kva's UPS's powering a computer rack, then another 3 1500va for other computer shit throughout the house.

I'm actually spec'ing a 30 kVA for an entire floor at one of my facilities, just to keep up the load of 2 network/data rooms (dozen or so servers per room with a ~150 port switch in each), and 220 workstations/offices until the generator kicks in after about 10-15 seconds. We pulled the amp readings and it was ridiculously low...like 77 amps for 30K SF :roflpicard:

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
operation ganja grow? DEA aint lookin at NG anomalies, although the computer shit drawing power probably does mimic a grow house :bowrofl:

I used to always leave my curtains open when I had a 180 gallon reef tank at my house so hopefully if anyone saw the "weird glow" behind the curtains they would see the reef tank and not a grow operation.

Definitely dont miss those electric bills.

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
yep I was worried even 20 wouldn't be enough for 8400 inc basement, but when we installed it, turned everything on and blasted the AC and it was fine, forgot what the amperage got to. Then I try to load test it once a year for awhile if there aren't any outages, the self test once a week is with no load just to get the motor and fluids moving.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
yep I was worried even 20 wouldn't be enough for 8400 inc basement, but when we installed it, turned everything on and blasted the AC and it was fine, forgot what the amperage got to. Then I try to load test it once a year for awhile if there aren't any outages, the self test once a week is with no load just to get the motor and fluids moving.

Good idea to do the load tests...we run our generators once a week, but without load, because they are older systems with critical circuits. The one for our server room, we could probably do, but I don't think IT would let us, just for generator maintenance.

shockerracing.com

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jun 9, 2006
Dundee, IL
I know this isn't what you are looking for, since I had to vent it out the roof but thought I'd share. I just added this radiant tube heater in my garage, luckily I had a gas line fairly easy to access from my basement. I had an electric forced air heater in my previous 3 car garage and it did a nice job but the electric bill was ridiculous if I used it much. I'm hoping this will be much more efficient:
416aa3d55e59e4d45f6c26fc5fec05b6.jpg

shockerracing.com

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jun 9, 2006
Dundee, IL
That's the baller way. Eagle should do that.

I couldn't spend that money.

I am going all out for this garage, in fact I pretty much just bought this house for the garage and plan to be here a very long time so if it is as efficient as I hope then it will be worth the cost. All said and done it cost under $2k installed which is a lot but considering that this will be part man cave and part home gym(wifey does some training) it will be worth it in the long run.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info