Stay out of Florida if your name is Trevon

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
One shot was fired, he was pronounced dead on scene....

Sounds like shes had some practice!

Apparently more practice than most police. One shot, one kill, I'm sure they'll try to go after her for excessive force. But thats not excessive.

The audacity of the family. "He had a future, he loved education!"

Really? You break into someone's house and try to steal something and expect no consequences? Sounds like Trevon failed the education system.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
I'm just wondering how they're going to end up putting blame on the woman. I get that he was leaving, so what does that mean, the minute a criminal gets ahold of some of your possessions they're now his and you can't try to protect them? What is this, finders keepers?

The criminal broke into my house and was still on my property....

Nothing excessive about one shot fired, so not sure excessive force can be applied here.....

I'll stick with my line of don't break into my house, don't get new body holes line for this one.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
I'm just wondering how they're going to end up putting blame on the woman. I get that he was leaving, so what does that mean, the minute a criminal gets ahold of some of your possessions they're now his and you can't try to protect them? What is this, finders keepers?

The criminal broke into my house and was still on my property....

Nothing excessive about one shot fired, so not sure excessive force can be applied here.....

I'll stick with my line of don't break into my house, don't get new body holes line for this one.

Unfortunately it doesn't work this way. Once the BG is leaving the scene, or even 'trying' to find a way out, you cannot act...

This might have been one of those 'shoot em on the porch and drag him back in' type deals.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Unfortunately it doesn't work this way. Once the BG is leaving the scene, or even 'trying' to find a way out, you cannot act...

This might have been one of those 'shoot em on the porch and drag him back in' type deals.

Too much is afforded to criminals..... Drives me nuts....

Hoping this lady doesn't see any charges pressed against her for protecting her home and possessions.

Ear Rak

Underemployed
Nov 11, 2005
Fort Worth, TX

In Texas you can. Castle doctrine. Can shoot to protect persons and property and in the case of property retrieval.

What if a Trespasser Starts Committing Other Property Crimes?

What about defense of property? The use of deadly force to protect property is contained in Texas Penal Code §9.42. This section of the law lays out a couple of scenarios where you are justified in reasonably using deadly force to protect your property. The first is if someone is committing trespass or interference with your property and you must reasonably use deadly force to prevent arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime or criminal mischief during the nighttime. If someone is unlawfully on your property and attempting to commit any of these crimes, you will gain the legal justification for using deadly force.

The second scenario is the law of recovering your property by using deadly force. Texas has a 3-prong test that, if met, gives a justification in using deadly force to recover stolen property. This test is as follows: (1) force is necessary to prevent or terminate another’s trespass on land or unlawful interference with the property, (2) deadly force is reasonably necessary to prevent another who is immediately fleeing after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property, and (3) the person reasonably believes that the property cannot be recovered by any other method or that the use of non-deadly force to recover the property would expose them to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury. We as lawyers cannot stress enough that under this scenario, while the law may allow you to use deadly force – It Is Most Likely A Very Bad Idea!

https://www.texaslawshield.com/castle-doctrine/

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I hope she doesn't get charged either, the world needs less scumbags.

But as someone else said, we don't know all the facts yet. If the guy was simply running away, then the shooting seems suspect. But if they got into a confrontation and the homeowner felt her life was in danger, that's fine.

Euro

GM or Nothing
Oct 22, 2007
Roselle
Real Name
Matt
"you don't understand, this is how it works when you are raised in the hood- he was robbing them to be able to afford clothes for school"

:picard:

I can't believe I actually heard her say that. Un fucking real.

"He enjoyed going to school"....yeah, I'm sure. Mr. cross eyed Soulja Boy Jr. over here in his hood ass photographs :bowrofl:

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
ufLfjie.gif

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida

You guys are indoctrinated to Illinois laws and practices. Florida (and Texas as mentioned) have more home owner bias concerning home defense and less of a "criminals are people too" way of thinking.

I doubt the woman will be charged with anything.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
[MENTION=341]sickmint79[/MENTION] if the homeowner was trying to assess the security of her house and was confronted by a criminal in or around her burglarized house and feared for her life it is her right to defend herself. If the perpetrator was retreating and running down the street it would not be her right to pursue and stop the suspect with deadly force.

Stand your ground seems to be applicable in public and the justified use of force, up and including deadly force, to defend yourself when your safety and life is being threatened.

I would be curious on your response to a similar situation outside of completely running for the hills (flight).

wasn't she not home
saw someone was in the home
and went directly there to put herself into the situation - whether the cops were going to be there or not?

i don't think that looks very good. if i was in the same situation i would probably want to confront them too but i wouldn't unless i really had to so as to keep them from getting away. i'd go home and stay in my car if the cops weren't there and just watch from inside my car and follow them as discretely as i could whether in the car or on foot after that.

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
wasn't she not home
saw someone was in the home
and went directly there to put herself into the situation - whether the cops were going to be there or not?

i don't think that looks very good. if i was in the same situation i would probably want to confront them too but i wouldn't unless i really had to so as to keep them from getting away. i'd go home and stay in my car if the cops weren't there and just watch from inside my car and follow them as discretely as i could whether in the car or on foot after that.

its not that she wants to confront anyone, cheap alarm systems may produce a lot of false positives, so whether she was returning to check on an alarm or simply going back to her residence for any reason and is confronted by a burglar or home invader and fears her safety she has that right to defend herself. Every state is absolutely different, some require you to flee which blows my mind, but I don't think she'll have any problems in FL.

She better have damn well said she feared for her life whether she truly did or not though.

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
you don't need to be assaulted :rofl: you simply have to fear great bodily harm or death and have the right to defend yourself. Its very subjective (he came at me, he reached for a weapon) etc.

Most of the cases where its unjustified and charges were filed against the home owner is when the suspect is fleeing the residence or home owner chases them down the street and guns them down.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info