• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Squirrels Keep Eating My Shit: F150 Edition

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
The problem with leaving coolant around though, is if someones pet is out running around (I know, I know, that can be a different story), they drink it, they get poisoned too.

I won't lie, this is how I culled our raccoon problem years back when they'd climb up our Hacienda, get on that roof, then jump over to the roof of the house and be trying to get in to the roof by tearing up the flashing around the roof vents.

So I put a feeder full of coolant up on the hacienda roof where I was sure random cats/dogs weren't going but they were. Between that and my neighbor picking them off with his pellet rifle... :D

must have been some small raccoons if a pellet rifle could take them down.

the ones i see are bigger than small dogs. a good 30-40 lbs

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Honestly makes sense. Quickest way to immobilize a vehicle? Kill fuel delivery.

WHO WANTS THEIR NEWLY CONSTRUCTED HOME (in your engine bay) TO HAVE TO DRIVE OFF TO WORK EVERY DAY? WHAT IS A SQUIRREL TO DO WHILE YOU'RE AT WORK? IMAGINE GETTING UP TO TAKE YOUR MORNING SHIT JUST TO RETURN HOME AND FIND OUT... WELL YOUR HOME (your truck) IS GONE!? WHAT DO YOU DO WITH YOURSELF UNTIL 6PM WHEN YOUR HOME GETS BACK FROM SOMEONE ELSE'S OFFICE?

Real inconvenient - JIM! :rofl:

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
I bought this 2001 Monte Carlo from a friend with a blow engine which was sitting for over a year. I pulled the engine cover and it had a nest under it. I should have known better not to buy the car after that. This thing was a mice hotel! After that I had mice all in my garage. I finally setup a gauntlet of mice traps in my garage. Lesson learned!

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
Honestly makes sense. Quickest way to immobilize a vehicle? Kill fuel delivery.

WHO WANTS THEIR NEWLY CONSTRUCTED HOME (in your engine bay) TO HAVE TO DRIVE OFF TO WORK EVERY DAY? WHAT IS A SQUIRREL TO DO WHILE YOU'RE AT WORK? IMAGINE GETTING UP TO TAKE YOUR MORNING SHIT JUST TO RETURN HOME AND FIND OUT... WELL YOUR HOME (your truck) IS GONE!? WHAT DO YOU DO WITH YOURSELF UNTIL 6PM WHEN YOUR HOME GETS BACK FROM SOMEONE ELSE'S OFFICE?

Real inconvenient - JIM! :rofl:

Hahahahahaha

My engine bay is not a squirrel Del Boca Vista!

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
I'm currently experiencing a similar situation.

Had Fiber installed at the house. Every week I've had an interruption due to either squirrels or rabbits chewing the fiber cable (Metronet is waiting for the ground to thaw before they bury the cable).

Appears the cable manufacturers use peanut oil in the sheathing.

GLADIATOR

aka STROKE-KING
TCG Premium
Mar 29, 2004
New Lenox IL
After I bought my hybrid i joined a hybrid forum to learn hybrid shit. Turns out this is a huge issue on hybrids because they have bigger cables made of the soy based material also. Obviously a garage was the best solution but since your truck is too big, I would recommend you put some sort of feeder for them so they wont eat your cables. Not a perfect solution but good luck.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
I'm currently experiencing a similar situation.

Had Fiber installed at the house. Every week I've had an interruption due to either squirrels or rabbits chewing the fiber cable (Metronet is waiting for the ground to thaw before they bury the cable).

Appears the cable manufacturers use peanut oil in the sheathing.

I’m all for creative uses for different types of by products to keep costs low, which I can only assume this is the reasoning for using this, but I think these manufacturers should use some common sense here.

How has that fiber been performing outside of being eaten?

After I bought my hybrid i joined a hybrid forum to learn hybrid shit. Turns out this is a huge issue on hybrids because they have bigger cables made of the soy based material also. Obviously a garage was the best solution but since your truck is too big, I would recommend you put some sort of feeder for them so they wont eat your cables. Not a perfect solution but good luck.

The feeder will only attract them more, the wiring isn’t necessarily the problem. My engine bay being a warm squirrel 4 seasons is what attracts them.

I got in my rodent tape and high frequency emitters. When I get my truck back this week I will see if this stuff helps along with frequent spraying of my homemade pepper spray.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
I’m all for creative uses for different types of by products to keep costs low, which I can only assume this is the reasoning for using this, but I think these manufacturers should use some common sense here.

How has that fiber been performing outside of being eaten?

Real good. Metronet is coming back tomorrow to fix a newly chewed section.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
are you going to wrap it with the pepper tape as well. cuz i would see if they will do it before they even put it in.

When I get the truck back I will wrap the areas that have been chewed through before. I am also putting in the high frequency electronic device and spraying everything with pepper spray a few times a week.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info