So... What's the deal? 8/22/16 official TCG twistie day?

SinisterSHO

Tame Racing Driver
Jul 20, 2007
Yes I sure as hell do! I'm scared to hell of this thing at the rate I'm driving it right there! :rofl:

I do not even come close to using even close to what the car has in braking potential.
I was just talking about this with my buddy over the weekend. We have similar setups on our SHOs, mine is a little lighter and he's a little more experienced. He is far more confident in his tires than I am (we both run r compounds) but I am far more confident in my brakes. He ends up having more speed thru the turns, but I go deeper (that's what she said) in the turns.
You have a PR vid I could watch on ABCC full? Any feedback on my lines?
I'll watch it again when I haven't been drinking and I do have a video I'll see if I can upload. I would say the biggest thing I had to learn in to use the whole track. When you come out of a turn, you should go as far out as possible. You basically want to make the track as much of a straight line as you can.

From what i watched, I would just stay in the throttle longer. I don't have enough experience to not push the car or myself as hard as I want. Very few turns at a few tracks will I coast. Full throttle in the straights, squeeze brakes, part throttle thru turns. You could still brake at the 4 or 5 marker, but accelerating to the turn will help you get more confident in your brakes.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
lol it's silly how i'm watching you take like turns casually at the same speeds i'm like fighting through, or how easily and quickly you get to 100 and more on the straight when i'm fighting to just break into triple digits

The Z is insanely capable at ABCC and it'd be even better with a serious set of tires mounted. The Pilot Sports can only handle so much, but they do pretty decent once they're warm.

As for coasting in the turns, you can hear the tires are basically silent in many of the turns I make in my PR video... so you know I'm not pushing the car at all. Its got so much more in it as it sits that I just can't tap because I'm fearful of fucking up and sending it off track.

SinisterSHO

Tame Racing Driver
Jul 20, 2007
The Z is insanely capable at ABCC and it'd be even better with a serious set of tires mounted. The Pilot Sports can only handle so much, but they do pretty decent once they're warm.

As for coasting in the turns, you can hear the tires are basically silent in many of the turns I make in my PR video... so you know I'm not pushing the car at all. Its got so much more in it as it sits that I just can't tap because I'm fearful of fucking up and sending it off track.
Can't say I would drive that car as well as my SHO, due to the value alone.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine

As for coasting in the turns, you can hear the tires are basically silent in many of the turns... so you know I'm not pushing the car at all. Its got so much more in it as it sits that I just can't tap because I'm fearful of fucking up and sending it off track.

I was going to say I am taking at least 2-3 of those turns 5-10 mph faster in my 3 but I sort of have to as I have 20 percent of your hp. I also have like 1/10th the money into it if I do something dumb.

There are other people with way more experience but I would just try picking 1-2 turns to improve on each session. Just realize once you start doing better at them they will alter your other turns as you will end up carrying more speed into them.

I am on Bridgestone Sport 760's 380tw so they are basically screaming through most every corner no matter what I do. I am going to keep on running them as so far they point out very quickly when I am driving like an ass and grease up and lose traction. Once I cleaned up my lines they gripped a lot longer and didn't get as greasy. RS-2's will replace them sometime soon.

Have a set of mazdaspeed3 brake calipers/rotors sitting on the bench I snagged at the junkyard just trying to decide if I should change them or not before this. The EBC yellows on stock calipers ran fine just don't like the feel of them. Lot more pad choices for the Mazdaspeed3.

I really need to update the "build" thread for it for the 3 people who will read it ;)

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
Do you have to have any experience to do this? I'd love to take the 335 out but have never been to a track before that wasn't straight.

do what I did.. when that "extreme experience" comes back to the Autobahn, sign up for it.

I learned on a 458 Italia, instructor let me go full dick after he saw me do one lap and was competent. Passed a GTR on one of the straights when we "werent technically supposed to"

I chuckled.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
So in watching other's lines, I can see that my last instructor didn't give me the best advice in all turns.

I had used different lines, similar to what are in folks videos here, and he changed them up on me.

Either way, I think I have a decent nose for what good lines are. I just hope that I have enough awareness to deal with any extra speed that I might have without a passenger and hopefully less traffic on the track with me in intermediate.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info