So... What's the deal? 8/22/16 official TCG twistie day?

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
It was but a simple observation not a chest thumping

oh-right1.gif

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Honestly, here's my feedback on Intermediate:

1. There's all sorts of skill level in Intermediate. There's the guys that just got on the track for the first time without an instructor, but completely forgot what their instructor ever told them, there's the guys running flat out race cars which really know what they're doing, and of course, everything in between. It's sort of a cluster fuck.

2. Your nerves are cranked up, at least mine were. No instructor means everything is on YOU. For me, this made me channel my inner [MENTION=239]Turk[/MENTION] and brought up the stress levels around damaging or wrecking the car. I'm confident, but even the most confident folks like a scapegoat for those OOOPS moments.

3. I actually enjoyed the freedom of being able to drive the car as I wanted without a voice on my shoulder correcting me or even properly guiding me. The car did I fantastic job reminding me when I was getting too aggressive and felt great being another 200lb lighter without the copilot in the car. I think you really do notice that additional weight out of the car.

4. I found myself verbally discussing other driver's techniques as I was going around the track. Thankfully, none of that discussion was there in my PR video :rofl:

5. If I'm being 100% honest, I really love racing the Vette on the Autobahn course - but - I don't know how badly I *need* to race. I love the Z too, but this is my inner conscience questioning the expense of the Z to really only be able to stretch its legs to their capabilities at events like this which cost hundreds of additional dollars and while they do certainly provide a crazy rush, the stress is for real. So is the cost of racing. No doubt I was shaken by the sight of that poor dude's M3 that got wrecked in turn 3. That's the last thing I EVER want to experience at a track... and yet I keep obtaining cars that threaten to give me that outcome. TA, GT500, Z06...

6. Bonus feedback - I think I'd be way more into it if LAPS were to start providing GPS trackers and made a board showing the results from the track days by car/driver.

J-LO

TCG Elite Member
Jul 9, 2013
In Da Hood
Good feed back, I can tell you from years of experience doing track days the nerves go away, and as long as you "ride your own ride" the track is still 1000% safer than say our corn run. But I understand where you are coming from. Perfect world find a c5 zo6 or similar and convert it to a track only car. Otherwise 1 or 2 of these a year not so bad

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Honestly, here's my feedback on Intermediate:

1. There's all sorts of skill level in Intermediate. There's the guys that just got on the track for the first time without an instructor, but completely forgot what their instructor ever told them, there's the guys running flat out race cars which really know what they're doing, and of course, everything in between. It's sort of a cluster fuck.

really some of those guys should have been in novice but most groups are self-select and usually not much shuffling occurs.

i saw the grey vw not at all after 2nd session so maybe they did pop down a class. def not ready for intermediate imho.

light blue mustang was blowing all the apexes pretty hard too.

the blue camaro passed me without a point, maybe just under momentum of passing guy before me. i don't like sketchy surprises but his friend told me he did recognize he made that mistake.

2. Your nerves are cranked up, at least mine were. No instructor means everything is on YOU. For me, this made me channel my inner [MENTION=239]Turk[/MENTION] and brought up the stress levels around damaging or wrecking the car. I'm confident, but even the most confident folks like a scapegoat for those OOOPS moments.

3. I actually enjoyed the freedom of being able to drive the car as I wanted without a voice on my shoulder correcting me or even properly guiding me. The car did I fantastic job reminding me when I was getting too aggressive and felt great being another 200lb lighter without the copilot in the car. I think you really do notice that additional weight out of the car.

4. I found myself verbally discussing other driver's techniques as I was going around the track. Thankfully, none of that discussion was there in my PR video :rofl:

5. If I'm being 100% honest, I really love racing the Vette on the Autobahn course - but - I don't know how badly I *need* to race. I love the Z too, but this is my inner conscience questioning the expense of the Z to really only be able to stretch its legs to their capabilities at events like this which cost hundreds of additional dollars and while they do certainly provide a crazy rush, the stress is for real. So is the cost of racing. No doubt I was shaken by the sight of that poor dude's M3 that got wrecked in turn 3. That's the last thing I EVER want to experience at a track... and yet I keep obtaining cars that threaten to give me that outcome. TA, GT500, Z06...

maybe you should look at track insurance. it is per event so a 2 day school like bmw at autobahn south would only cost for 1 event. it's essentially catastrophic insurance with a high deductible. it costs some per event, then a chunk if something really goes wrong, but hey, it is covered. it is more per day to go and play but it will also give you that piece of mind.

6. Bonus feedback - I think I'd be way more into it if LAPS were to start providing GPS trackers and made a board showing the results from the track days by car/driver.

i think hpde groups want to focus on safe and fun so they don't do this.

if you do gridlife and a time attack class it is a competition, guys run transponders and all the times are posted. gps track time has a bunch of some kind of units (not sure which) although i'm not sure how quickly you get the data on them? they don't post anything running throughout the day though. harry's might if other people are using harry's there. personally i only look at my lap timer after a session is over and even then i miss my fast one half the time and end up finding out which one it is after i get home.

those vettes sure sound great in your vid.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info