Shopping for a Duramax

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
I've had 2 dodge diesels in my past. LOVED the cummins.. BUT hated everything else.. the rust factor is the absolute worst (way worse than GM products in my experiences anyway)

I also hated how everything else fell apart on the Dodge... sure the engine was bullet proof but the automatic transmission was horrible (unless you got a manual trans of course) and I had all sorts of issues with the 4x4 system and differential on Dodge trucks.. go figure

Anyway, the rust factor alone where I live means I will never own a dodge again thanks

They are bad around here too. I see quite a few that are less than 10 years old, and are rusting above the rear fenders.

Lot's of Chevy's around here lose the cab corners to rust, but I found an 05 LLY that is rust free.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Well, the LLY I looked at wasn't as clean as the pic's looked. The motor has 170k on it, but the injectors seemed loud to me at idle. No smoke though, and it pulled hard.

But, I hooked up to it, and checked injector balance rates...6 of the 8 were close to bad. So, back to looking again.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
CTC hit the nail on the head. The Cummins is a great engine, but it's surrounded by an inferior truck. I think the Ford chassis and transmission is the best of the three. There are motor issues, but, you at least know what you're getting into.

Side note, has anybody else noticed how badly the 2007-2013 GM's are rotting out?

I've seen tons of these trucks with the wheelwells GONE and i've been seeing doors missing a few inches of metal in the centers as well. I'll stick to my GMT800's instead of the post-bailout stuff :rofl:

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Not trying to thread jack but how are the 6.4 powerstrokes? Do those rot out pretty bad?

Nope, pretty much all the Fords rust about the same. They haven't changed much from 1999-2016 :rofl:

Motor wise they're supposedly more peppy than the 6.7's, but are terrible stock. 8-9 MPG because of the emissions with no urea, simply relying on fuel for regeneration.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info