Shopping for a Duramax

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Did some shopping/test driving today.

I drove a 2004 F250 6.0 w 6 speed manual. Completely stock with 140k miles on it. Drove great, motor runs awesome. Front end was decently tight, but looks like it needs an alignment. Couldn't find any problems with it, besides some rust underneath it. The visible body is in great shape though. I got them down to $13,200 on it.

Next I drove a 2005 F250 6.0 Auto. It has 120k miles on it, and had about $6k in motor work done about 3 years ago. Bunch of replacement parts mostly. But it does have studs, egr delete, 4" exhaust, Banks 6 gun, and K&N Intake. Runs great, although it did struggle to start. Temp was about 18*. Front end was a little loose. The body isn't very nice...rust is visible once looking at it closer, and it was hailed on with some pretty big stones. Interior is somewhat rough too. They are asking $14,900 for it.

Next I drove a 2010 Silverado 2500 with the 6.0l gas. It has 172k miles on it, and is in the best shape of all these. Southern pickup, so no rust on/under it. Front end was a little loose. Power felt ok...more than my 2000 2500, but nothing to write home about. If was somewhat loud/tinny/cheap on the interior. Not much of a fan of these, but mechanically it's in great shape and they are asking $11,900 for it. It did seem like the drivers seat just doesn't adjust low enough and it's more difficult for me to see out of. But, I guess I can live with that.

Lastly, just out of curiosity, I drove a 2010 F250 V10 Auto. Seemed like it had a tad more low end power than the 6.0 Chevy, but not much. I really wasn't much of a fan of this thing.

My first pick is the 04 F250 with the 6 speed PSD. It did seem like the motor was louder on the interior than the 05. (Not the exhaust...actual motor noise) Maybe they changed some sound deadening between those years??

Next is the 2010 Chevy. Probably the cheapest by far to own and maintain, but I know it's going to suck pulling with it. It looks like a LSA supercharger could be added for less than $2k, which would help a lot in the towing department. I think.

Any thoughts on these?

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Looks like around 3-4" to me. My truck is stock height on stock sized tires.

1382128_10153873378019589_7473115892476304537_n.jpg

00m0m_7aseXDv3kpt_600x450.jpg

I wouldn't worry about it a ton, at that age/mileage I'd probably want to start fixing some suspension parts. Put it back to stock height and sell the lift, buy new ball joints and stuff. I'm with you, I hate lifted trucks, how that one sits is pretty much the maximum for me.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Ugh. Dammit. Maybe it'll be easy to remove. I'm sure the lift would sell pretty easy. I'm going to text him to find out more.

BTW, how do you like your 6.7?

I love it. Plenty of power in stock form, comfortable, quiet. It's seen 10 states pulling a trailer and 29,000 miles in the past 7 months. I've got zero complaints with the truck aside from paying for it :rofl: I'll hate it a lot less when it's refinanced this summer/fall.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
i wish you were open to a short bed cuz my little brothers truck checks all your boxes, and is minty as fuck.

I wish I was too. The long bed/extended cab or crew cab makes for such a long vehicle. But, lots of materials in the construction industry are 8ft long, so the long bed works really well. Plus, I can haul 16-20ft lumber as well, by just sliding it under the tool box.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
I love it. Plenty of power in stock form, comfortable, quiet. It's seen 10 states pulling a trailer and 29,000 miles in the past 7 months. I've got zero complaints with the truck aside from paying for it :rofl: I'll hate it a lot less when it's refinanced this summer/fall.

I've got a buddy with one, and he likes his too. Actually, he's had a couple of them. Lots of power, but he said mpg could be better.

He recently bought a 2008 dually with a blown motor, stuck in a low mile 6.4 with DPF and EGR deletes and a tune, and it gets 19-20mpg. He is thinking about selling his 6.7 and keeping the 6.4.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I've got a buddy with one, and he likes his too. Actually, he's had a couple of them. Lots of power, but he said mpg could be better.

He recently bought a 2008 dually with a blown motor, stuck in a low mile 6.4 with DPF and EGR deletes and a tune, and it gets 19-20mpg. He is thinking about selling his 6.7 and keeping the 6.4.

6.4's make good power while they're together.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info