Reef life

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Oregon Blue Tort's are one of my all time favorite corals....
When I had my 180g this was in May:
1570803523395.png

Then in November:
1570803556575.png

It was growing great for me, then I downsized to the 90g starfire and it ended up dying...

Reactions: SleeperLS

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
1570803853624.png

Another Monti Cap that I liked a little more than the usual Orange ones were Leng Sy Montipora....

And below it to the right is a great encrusting Monti, Morningstar if memory serves....

1570803975848.png

Try to steer clear of Pocollopora unless you really like one. They are great and grow fast, but can also spawn fairly easily....
1570804164883.png

My main coral was the size of a softball, but if you look in the Leng Sy picture theres one below it to the left. That was on the opposite side of the tank after it spawned. I had Pocci sprouting up everywhere. :bowrofl:

Also in that picture is a green slimer frag, also a really bright easy to grow coral...

Last edited:
Reactions: SleeperLS

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
Oregon Blue Tort's are one of my all time favorite corals....
When I had my 180g this was in May:
View attachment 43997

Then in November:
View attachment 43998

It was growing great for me, then I downsized to the 90g starfire and it ended up dying...

This has been one of those corals that was on my wish list when I started the original reef tank. I'm hoping it does well in my tank as I have always loved it's coloration.

Reactions: FESTER665

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
View attachment 44000

Another Monti Cap that I liked a little more than the usual Orange ones were Leng Sy Montipora....

And below it to the right is a great encrusting Monti, Morningstar if memory serves....

View attachment 44001

Try to steer clear of Pocollopora unless you really like one. They are great and grow fast, but can also spawn fairly easily....
View attachment 44002

My main coral was the size of a softball, but if you look in the Leng Sy picture theres one below it to the left. That was on the opposite side of the tank after it spawned. I had Pocci sprouting up everywhere. :bowrofl:

Also in that picture is a green slimer frag, also a really bright easy to grow coral...

I liked the orange one I have because it has bright blue polyps, while they are small it still add's a nice contrast. I will be adding a green monti cap on the rear section of left rocks. I am going to keep some low light and nps corals on the left side of the tank.

I'm still looking for a pink mili and want to find some corals with some distinctive yellows to round out the color spectrum. Then I'll be looking at some more encrusting or plating coral to cover up some of the rockwork that is towards the back of the tank.

The overall plan is to have the zoa and shrooms on the bottom of the tank, might add another scoly or even a plate or meat coral. Then get some frogspawn, and torch euphyllia in the middle for some nice movement and color. then it will be sps dominantly up top. Pretty classic style setup for a mixed reef.

As for livestock the next fish will be a anthias, still deciding which genus to get as it will be singular. I'll get a blue/green mandarin dragonet once my pod population is established. I'd love to get a flame angel or coral beauty but afraid they will eat the corals. I've got room for several more fish but running into the obvious limitations of what fish aren't aggressive towards the current livestock or corals.

Reactions: FESTER665

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Are some of the scolys still stupid expensive? They were nuts when I was in the hobby awhile back....

I had some really pretty yumas and florida ricordia mushrooms.... Miss them.

i never had issues with flame angelfish and corals, I know they can be hit of miss, but I’ve never had issues with them with anyone I’ve known personally.

Green Dragonets are one of my favorite fish. Definitely wait for the tank to be mature had have a ton of pods. Once you do they’re great fish to add.

I had a harem of Lyretail Anthias, they were a really good fish for the tank... I always wanted a Borbonius Anthias, but the price tag is rough...

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
Are some of the scolys still stupid expensive? They were nuts when I was in the hobby awhile back....

I had some really pretty yumas and florida ricordia mushrooms.... Miss them.

i never had issues with flame angelfish and corals, I know they can be hit of miss, but I’ve never had issues with them with anyone I’ve known personally.

Green Dragonets are one of my favorite fish. Definitely wait for the tank to be mature had have a ton of pods. Once you do they’re great fish to add.

I had a harem of Lyretail Anthias, they were a really good fish for the tank... I always wanted a Borbonius Anthias, but the price tag is rough...

Ya most scoly's are still stupid expensive but not as bad as it was years ago. The price isn't because it's the craze in the industry but more of the propagation constrictions.

I have one scoly in the tank (well I was told it's a scoly) you can see it in the previous page's pictures with the full zoa rock it's just behind on the sandbed. It's blue but completely stoney where most scoly's are fleshy. I was told it's an aussie scoly but I have never seen another one like it. That cost me a hundo last year.

Definitely going to get a some florida ricordia's, that's where I know I'll be adding some yellow coral to the tank.

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
There's a lot of online coral stores that have some crazy cool shit. WWC (world wide coral) is one of those go to's, they have some interesting strains and cross breading. The downside is those are those designer corals that cost insane cash. Like this one for example.

ogbounce.jpg

$999 for a god damn mushroom. Bounce mushrooms don't do anything for me so even if it was $20 I wouldn't buy it.

At aquashella there was a guy selling a cross bred black widow/rainbow nem for $2800 and I thought to myself who would buy that. Low and behold the guy next to me purchased it. I was like :wtf: :eek3:

My reef tank is not going to have any show stopper corals in it, it will just be a nice selection of mixed reef corals and fish. Items like the Oregon tort use to command serious cash back in the day but now it's a decent priced frag. If there is something that becomes a must have my inner cheap ass will just make me wait till propagation drops the price.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info