Reef life

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
I have a 75 gallon per day system from BRS, it's slow to make water but it's better than driving to the LFS to get water that didn't always have 0 TDS. Found that out when I got a TDS meter and was seeing anywhere from 10-50 TDS from the store RODI.

I don't have a mixing station, I use my basement bathroom to hook the RODI to the sink and put the output line into a bucket. I then just measure out salt as I need it and mix it into a saltwater bucket.

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
Getting a booster pump and a second RO membrane will kick up your output and help with the amount of waste water as well.

Also, if you want you can pump the waste water into the washing machine and use that for a load of clothes. I used to hate just dumping it all down the drain.

75 is fine for my size tank right now, I only make at most 10 gallons of water a week. 5 for my weekly WC and the rest is just top off.

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
So I did a thing

c67193f025237cb7ea8591a35fe923fd.jpg

Pick it up this weekend. I need to do some rearranging in my basement. I will also need to move my current tank while it’s still running as it’s partially in the way of where the new one is going.

The new one will be a brand new setup with only livestock and some of the corals transferring over. So I will have to cycle the new tank as none of my live rock will be transferred.

New tank will have a sump, with a refugium and I will be adding T5 lighting along with my current AI prime LED’s.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
So I did a thing

c67193f025237cb7ea8591a35fe923fd.jpg

Pick it up this weekend. I need to do some rearranging in my basement. I will also need to move my current tank while it’s still running as it’s partially in the way of where the new one is going.

The new one will be a brand new setup with only livestock and some of the corals transferring over. So I will have to cycle the new tank as none of my live rock will be transferred.

New tank will have a sump, with a refugium and I will be adding T5 lighting along with my current AI prime LED’s.

What size is the new setup? Looks like 120g maybe? :dunno:

If you want that GHL controller I have it's yours, just come and get it so I know its going to a good home.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
yes it's a 120g

Thanks about the GHL, I just may grab that off you. I need to upgrade almost all my equipment. As you know it's a large hit to the pocketbook so saving money anywhere is a huge bonus.

Anytime you want it, it's yours. Just shoot me a PM if you want it.

What are you doing for a sump? 40B's work great for them under a 120g....

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
originally I was going to turn my current breeder into the sump, since I need both tanks running concurrently for a month or two that isn't going to happen.

I don't think I am going to tackle doing a DIY sump as I am still a novice so I will spend the bucks on a nice acrylic sump that will have a refugium, skimmer and perhaps a ATO built in. I've been working with Blue Line Coral and they have some pretty good prices on a sump so that may be the route I go.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
originally I was going to turn my current breeder into the sump, since I need both tanks running concurrently for a month or two that isn't going to happen.

I don't think I am going to tackle doing a DIY sump as I am still a novice so I will spend the bucks on a nice acrylic sump that will have a refugium, skimmer and perhaps a ATO built in. I've been working with Blue Line Coral and they have some pretty good prices on a sump so that may be the route I go.

There's nothing to it, just get a local glass shop to cut you some panes and RTV108 or RTV103 the panes in there (108 is clear, 103 is black).... I would get the panes rounded on one edge that faces up in case you're digging around in there you wont cut yourself.

I always used a piece of 3/4" rigid foam to put the middle pane in (spaced up from the bottom), then once that cured I would use 3/4" pieces with the outer two panes clamped in place and glue in the other ones.

The single pane I would just clamp foam to the sides to support the single pane, and RTV one side, and once it cured remove the foam and hit the other side.

If you're going to put more flow through the sump, use 1" foam for spacing....

I used 1.25" space on my 75g sump I had on my 180g tank because I was moving quite a bit of water through it.... Realistically I should have gone with a 1" space and slowed it down some but I didnt want to restrict the pump and any it worked out great....

finishedsump.jpg

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
It's bit a bit since I updated this, not sure anyone other than FESTER665 BADAZZTEALCOBRA actually is interested in this stuff. Tank has been up and running for a few months now, lots of learning with the new equipment. However things are going much better in this tank than the first one. I still need to get an ATO as it evaporates about 2 gallons a day, that will be the last big equipment purchase left.

This is just after aquascaping the tank and adding the sand so it is a bit cloudy, I painted the back of the tank and the sides where the overflows are so you don't see the plumbing. You can kind of see the sump setup underneath, it's a bit big (approximately 55 gallons). Wish I had gone one size smaller as I still need to fit an ATO container in there somehow. I also redid the plumbing about a dozen times. This was a dual durso setup and it was ridiculously loud in the basement. I converted it to a redneck engineered bean animal setup by converting one of the 1 inch drains to a full siphon and switching one of the 3/4 inch return to an emergency drain. Now it's dead quite and I've tested a fake blockage to see if the 3/4 emergency can handle it. It does but just barely, luckily the return pump is a dc unit so I turned it down to 90% which gives me a bit more breathing room.

IMG_0204.JPG

IMG_0225.JPG

This is shortly after I moved over the livestock and a few of the corals from the old tank. For a few months I just was running the 2 AI Prime lights which were no where near enough. This pic shows you the difference between the blue (left side of the pic) to the right which is full white's. When viewing this with the naked eye the blues give the actinic lighting corals colors just pop under. However when taking pics it looks like shit. I have a orange filter for my wife's dslr showing up in a few days. She has a macro lens for her full frame dslr so I am hoping to take some real quality photos later on.

This is as of this morning, I upgraded to a ATI T5 Hybrid light system so I could use my previous lights and get the T5's for coral growth. This seems to be the new meta lately. The T5's are using ATI Blue + and without that orange filter it's not even worth taking pictures. So this shot is just the 2 AI Prime's on at 100% all channels, you can see the disco ball effect.

IMG_0254.jpg

I've been spending money like crazy on this thing lately and there is no end in sight. I'm increasing the livestock slowly and adding corals when I can find what I want. Tank still looks naked though. I will be going to the Aquashella convention this week and the Reefapoolza convention in October and hoping to pick up some eye candy.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
It's bit a bit since I updated this, not sure anyone other than FESTER665 BADAZZTEALCOBRA actually is interested in this stuff. Tank has been up and running for a few months now, lots of learning with the new equipment. However things are going much better in this tank than the first one. I still need to get an ATO as it evaporates about 2 gallons a day, that will be the last big equipment purchase left.

This is just after aquascaping the tank and adding the sand so it is a bit cloudy, I painted the back of the tank and the sides where the overflows are so you don't see the plumbing. You can kind of see the sump setup underneath, it's a bit big (approximately 55 gallons). Wish I had gone one size smaller as I still need to fit an ATO container in there somehow. I also redid the plumbing about a dozen times. This was a dual durso setup and it was ridiculously loud in the basement. I converted it to a redneck engineered bean animal setup by converting one of the 1 inch drains to a full siphon and switching one of the 3/4 inch return to an emergency drain. Now it's dead quite and I've tested a fake blockage to see if the 3/4 emergency can handle it. It does but just barely, luckily the return pump is a dc unit so I turned it down to 90% which gives me a bit more breathing room.

View attachment 42880

View attachment 42881

This is shortly after I moved over the livestock and a few of the corals from the old tank. For a few months I just was running the 2 AI Prime lights which were no where near enough. This pic shows you the difference between the blue (left side of the pic) to the right which is full white's. When viewing this with the naked eye the blues give the actinic lighting corals colors just pop under. However when taking pics it looks like shit. I have a orange filter for my wife's dslr showing up in a few days. She has a macro lens for her full frame dslr so I am hoping to take some real quality photos later on.

This is as of this morning, I upgraded to a ATI T5 Hybrid light system so I could use my previous lights and get the T5's for coral growth. This seems to be the new meta lately. The T5's are using ATI Blue + and without that orange filter it's not even worth taking pictures. So this shot is just the 2 AI Prime's on at 100% all channels, you can see the disco ball effect.

View attachment 42882

I've been spending money like crazy on this thing lately and there is no end in sight. I'm increasing the livestock slowly and adding corals when I can find what I want. Tank still looks naked though. I will be going to the Aquashella convention this week and the Reefapoolza convention in October and hoping to pick up some eye candy.

Looking good!

I think CMAS is still around and does frag shows and things like that. I don't know if people are still doing frag swaps, but those were always good to trade some of your frags for different types.

When Texas Hold 'Em was really hot a few years back, we used to have tourneys where the buy in was high end corals, I stocked up quite a few times on those ones.

The bean animal setup works great. Dead quiet setup. If youre going to keep the tank open topped like that, refrain from any wrasses if possible. they like to jump out if they get panicked. That or you can make a mesh top to sit over the tank and use clear bird netting to keep them in while not affecting the light output for the corals.

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
Looking good!

I think CMAS is still around and does frag shows and things like that. I don't know if people are still doing frag swaps, but those were always good to trade some of your frags for different types.

When Texas Hold 'Em was really hot a few years back, we used to have tourneys where the buy in was high end corals, I stocked up quite a few times on those ones.

The bean animal setup works great. Dead quiet setup. If youre going to keep the tank open topped like that, refrain from any wrasses if possible. they like to jump out if they get panicked. That or you can make a mesh top to sit over the tank and use clear bird netting to keep them in while not affecting the light output for the corals.

I lurk on some of the local forums and visit a few local stores. Blue Line Coral in Naperville are a good bunch of guys to work with, however they lack in the SPS department. Reefwise use to be my go to but they have declined over the last 6 months. I want to be specific on what goes in the tank (however I know just about anything will catch my eye).

I actually have 2 wrasses in the tank, the yellow corris wrasse that was previously in my 30 and I added a 6 line a few weeks ago. I also added a Lawnmower blenny which are known to be jumpers. So far so good, I'm done with gobies even though I love the species. I had a dragon goby who was fine in my 30 for months but during the move I found him on the floor one morning. I have dealt with the mesh tops before but I'm hoping I don't need it going forward. It's such as PITA getting them to fit and then taking them off anytime you feed or do anything in the tank. Even with everything in the sump there are still things that sit above the top of the tank such as the cables and the return hose and even the emergency drain's top sits above the bracing so I would have to adjust for all that. I know it may be a bit irresponsible but I'm hoping to leave the top off. If I get any more jumpers I just won't keep those species in the tank or have to change my mind down the road.

Live stock from the old tank
2 Oscellaris clowns
Banggai Cardinal
Royal Gramma
Yellow Corris Wrasse

Additions
Yellow eye Kole Tang
Six Line Wrasse
Lawnmower Blenny

I only took a few corals from the previous tank as I had a vermited snail problem and the Xenia infestation that over the whole rock work. I brought over the my toadstool leather transferring to a new rock. A purple hammer, 2 rock flower anenome's and the fuzzy mushrooms after fragging them off the old rocks. I also took over the blue sypodium polyp's but put those on it's own rock where it can't grow out of control. I also had a blue scoly that was transferred over after close inspection but it didn't handle the change very well. Vote is still out on if it will recover.

I've added red gonipora, a blue/green chalice and a purple/green acanstrea and a oregon tort. This will be a full mixed reef tank so going for a bit of every type of texture, color and growth pattern.

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
Did you end up getting a controller for everything? If not, youre still more than welcome to the Profilux I have sitting in the drawer at home.

Still figuring out how the multiquote works, messed it up on this post.

I still don't have a controller, and I am interested in taking it off your hands. But when I grab it I may still do everything manually for a bit. I hate testing and monitoring perimeters but it keeps me engaged with the maintenance of the tank. For instance I was doing DKH testing every day and saw no changes so I changed the schedule to weekly, thinking there isn't enough demand with the limited corals I have. So I let it slide for about a week and a half and the DKH dropped 1.5 in the 8-9 days I didn't test.

I can say I do enjoy this tank alot more than the old one, I sit in front of it for hours on end. My wife looks at me like I'm weird because I would rather watch the tank than TV.

Reactions: FESTER665

IceCreamAssassin

When in doubt, throttle out
TCG Premium
Jan 28, 2011
Cary
My brother grows and sells coral. I’ll see if he will post some up if you’re interested.
I had my rev osmosis system go to my ato tank that was like 35 gallons as then that topped my tank off. Had to fill the ato tank about once a week. It was a nice setup but I don’t know how your house I laid out and such.

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
My brother grows and sells coral. I’ll see if he will post some up if you’re interested.
I had my rev osmosis system go to my ato tank that was like 35 gallons as then that topped my tank off. Had to fill the ato tank about once a week. It was a nice setup but I don’t know how your house I laid out and such.

Still doing my rodi into a bucket and dumping that into the top of the tank (not what I want to do obviously), you can kind of see the setup from the first pic. I have no room to put an ATO anywhere except in the stand, and that is limited due to the footprint of the sump. I still need to do some measuring but a 5 gallon space saver ATO reservoir looks to be my only option. Luckily the rodi lines can reach the stand so that's one plus.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
My favorite layout is using a continuous duty pump to slowly add evap water over time and run it through a kalkwasser reactor. My corals never looked better than doing it that way. I tried to do a three part dosing system through the GHL pump setup and it never gave me the results I had when I was running my top off water through a kalk reactor.

I was using a 7GPD ChemTech Pump, set to 50% use (my tank was evaping about 3.5 gallons a day) and I couldnt have been happier. I used a 30 gallon freshwater top-off tank to hold the water then pumped it over to the sump where I had the kalk reactor.

kalk.jpg

This was when I was getting the thing setup.... The Chemtech pumps can push the top off water a stupid far distance so you could easily put it in another part of the house and pump the top-off water to it. Then the Kalk reactor kept the calcium levels up....

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
I do need more, I was at Aquashella a few weeks back and blew a ton of coin. I'll upload some pics when I get them off my phone. I will be going to Reefapoolza, you should come along as well to get you back into the game ;)

Thats the last thing I need to start spending money on again......

Bad enough my friends getting me back into shooting more often has had me spending so much.

Reactions: crooks

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
So using the mobile browser hopefully these upload properly.
Full tank shot taken from my ipotato
97D3014F-DAC0-4297-87AD-526777F392BB.jpeg
Still can’t get the orange filter working right on my wife’s expensive dslr.

Some close ups.

Maxima Clam

3765B045-91CE-4085-901F-02D19372CD43.jpeg

This is a Jason Fox Torch,. Picture does not do this justice. It’s deep blue and purple with orange/yellow tips. In atinic lighting you understand it’s torch name.
B787D8E4-29E8-489F-8BE8-587A2D1B487F.jpeg

don’t know the name of this it’s a fluorescent orange that stands out especially in atinic lighting.
0B4D5F58-7CA4-4153-BC37-4DAD9187481B.jpeg

another SPS I don’t remember the name of, has some vivid greens and and reds.

C5DA72E6-5D21-4329-97D4-CAD105A8F35C.jpeg

Kryptonite Candy Cane, been looking for one of these for a year. Super fluorescent in atinic lighting.
8E48086A-775A-4460-A8C3-2DB05BD146C4.jpeg

Another SPS I don’t know the name of. It’s a encrusting monti I believe. Deep purple with blue polyps.
EFD683E7-E8C7-482D-9FCA-7BE5C8F17C38.jpeg

Meteor show cyphastrea
3AF69031-24E0-4BA3-9F65-F7EEB5607BFF.jpeg

Everything above was from Aquashella, below are some frags I picked up last weekend.

Picked up another rock and added some Zoa's to make a zoa garden.
F2C52D9E-B4A9-42D1-BAA3-E441218B7701.jpeg

bam bam's, orange with a blue center ring.
C20BEF8D-7460-4101-B490-14AAC4F1A728.jpeg
a mix of zoa's so they are all different colors, I'd like this whole rock to look something like this.
A0CD7AAA-EDA9-48CC-B774-CCABF15ACDC5.jpeg
another mix of zoas, the green ones are a named that I can't remember
BEBEC202-8264-46A8-9BF3-3D00D4743E44.jpeg

Orange Montipora cap, this is placed on the rock above the meteor shower to provide additional shade as cyphastrea does best in really low light.
F8634F64-CE89-404B-A255-9C12DDD2909D.jpeg

Here's just some pics of the other corals in the tank

I want to say this was called a meteor shower, regardless it's a chalice coral and really pops in atinic lighting.
59530FD9-CB93-4B77-990B-054B082C8238.jpeg

Oregon Blue Tort sps
CC7755B6-4B8F-43C0-9021-C88F3569A9C9.jpeg

Goniopora
C5EE5FD5-69CB-4EE1-9873-E989523714F9.jpeg

This is a toadstool leather from my original tank, it's polyps have consistantly been out and have reached lengths I didn't know it could do. Needless to say it's this tank.
1A2488D0-EC13-4CE1-9CBC-DF4ED205A5AC.jpeg

Purple and green with blue ribbons acanstrea
D6660963-2D19-4DCC-88BA-F664DF667F2C.jpeg

I'm going to work on better pictures using the wife's dslr, what I've posted here does no justice at all to how these corals look in person.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info