Pencil pushing Excel gurus, please enter

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
I must be losing it. At my last job, with my Excel, I was able to split Excel files. One on one screen, and then one on the other. Now I'm not able to do that. I won't let me slide over a second Excel file onto my other monitor. What gives?

i guess if you made a huge window you could put 2 within that same instances in it and control how much space they took up, maybe more likely is that you have 1 instance of excel open and you are looking at multiple files in it, while you actually want a 2nd instance of excel open? if that's the case, just navigate to start menu -> excel and it should load up a new instance with no files. do a file -> open from it, and now you have a totally independent instance from the other one, throw it on one screen and maximize it and do the same with the other. is that what you're looking for?

This. Although when you do this...you can't do formulas to reference the other instance in the older versions. At least I was never able to get it to work.

older versions of excel i thought you could only have one instance of excel open, and multiple books open in the one instance... newer you can have multiple instances of excel open. i guess is what im getting at.
You've always been able to open multiple instances of Excel. You just had to go to the start menu and open a new one, instead of clicking on a file in a folder.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Actually considering getting out of my comfort zone (in free time) and more into databases and specifically messing around with LAMP as a starting point.

databases are a lot more neat to play with, although kind of unexciting tinkering yourself vs. having real world problems or real world data.

i wrote a sql book, or at last 80% of an ebook, which i will try to finish and publish in september. it's less of a book and more of a document. can shoot you a copy if you want. the intent is basically to teach someone usable sql for reporting in an existing environment and it rushes over the basics as fast as i can.

it's a pretty big space though so if you're working on making your own application and using a database for it, my book goes over syntax to work in that environment but nothing around designing in it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info