Official TCG fishing thread

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Some nice looking fish, guys. :bigthumb:

I have been playing with the idea of picking up some crab traps and tossing them out in the harbor. I see guys doing it all the time and the thought of basically free crab meat is appealing. Some blue crabs and some Stone crab claws would be good with a melted butter sauce.

DJ

Forum Sponsor
Oct 20, 2005
What did you catch it on?

Was pretty much like something out of one of those fishing shows. Throwing a spinnerbait searching for bass and the musky blows up at my lure and misses it. I keep casting and a total of 4 times the fish visibly chases or bites my lure. Had him (I thought) hooked three times until I got him to shore. By time I finally got him I had a small group of people because they kept seeing the splashing.

Was a very fun fish to catch and now I have the itch so I will wake up early tomorrow and throw a line in the water for a few casts before work.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Went out last night, needed to clear my head, and it was at least semi warm out.

WAY too windy though, casting was difficult, water was high, and the retention area I was at had some pretty swift moving water. At least I got out and was able to get some casts in, throw some new lures I had gotten over winter. Nothing was biting though. There were a couple other guys there that I talked to for a bit, and they had nothing either. One guy had some minnows on a bobber, nothing.

I always start off throwing plastic worms, rigged weedless. Moved onto a top-water weedless frog, then to a clear Tiny Torpedo (my favorite lure), and finally finished off with a Rapala "Bleeding Minnow" crank.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
I haven't been fishing in about 20 years and wanted to start going again....

Anyone have any recommendations for a decent rod/reel combo to start with? I wanted to stay around $100 for the rod and reel (maybe something from Cabelas or Bass Pro?) and hope I can get something decent? Is a spinning reel the way to go to start off or should I be looking at something else?

Also are you guys using braided line or mono line? Heard there's alot of people for and against each type of line....

wombat

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 29, 2007
WI
I'm using such a variety. Whenever I go, I bring my dads old rod/reel combo, no name anymore on either of them they're so old, and I also bring a whoopin' stick which I bought last year for like $45 for the combo and the thing casts fucking FAR. I normally bring about 4-5 poles with me, but only fish with 2.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Tried to go again last night...was just too cold. snagged within the first dozen casts, couldn't get it loose, broke it off, and packed up for the day.

Just bought 1000 yds of low-vis green 6-pound test, some 1/8 oz bullet slide weights, and some 2/0 offset worm hooks. Once I get that stuff in, will be redoing my boxes and redoing some of my plastic worms and grubs. Might as well get that stuff done while it's too cold to get out.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
There were 4 or 5 people there too, and not one of them caught anything.

I've heard, with such a hard and cold winter, that many of the larger fish have died from lack of oxygen...Don't know how much stock I put into that, but anything's possible. We'll see in a few weeks when, hopefully, the water warms up enough for the fish to become a little more active.

wombat

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 29, 2007
WI
There were 4 or 5 people there too, and not one of them caught anything.

I've heard, with such a hard and cold winter, that many of the larger fish have died from lack of oxygen...Don't know how much stock I put into that, but anything's possible. We'll see in a few weeks when, hopefully, the water warms up enough for the fish to become a little more active.

Go to West branch walk about 1/4 a mile down the track around to the area where it's split by the dupage river(I think) and see how many dead fish were there. It was about 20 of them and they were large fish too.

DJ

Forum Sponsor
Oct 20, 2005
West Branch is almost totally cleared out of fish. Zebra mussels came in and wiped out all vegetation. Forest Preserve cop was telling me about it. I had to see for myself so I drilled a few holes on the ice and looked down with my camera. Every hole looked like the surface of the moon.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
West Branch is almost totally cleared out of fish. Zebra mussels came in and wiped out all vegetation. Forest Preserve cop was telling me about it. I had to see for myself so I drilled a few holes on the ice and looked down with my camera. Every hole looked like the surface of the moon.

No shit. I actually let my rubber worm hit the bottom and I actually caught a mussel with one of the hooks. Never seen that before!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info