#NoFlyZoneMIDWEST returns! 4/30-5/1

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
You guys were starting from similar times at WGF tho....no? I didnt run and I honestly dont remember.

wgf you started at the start of the 1/2 mile and then could roll from there or dead go from there... the noflyzone event as i understand it (since i wasnt there but just have seen videos and posts here) you can hit the start of the 1/2 mile at speed... soooo if i could start at 40-50 mph at the start of the 1/2 mile, i'd probably be able to hit ~145-148 at the end of it... since you're almost getting a 1/10th to 1/8th mile head start or so.

a touch more boost and i think 150 could be cool.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Cars pull onto the straight, and stage until given the go ahaead/hand drop from our staff member. You stage about 400ft from the start cones (start of the measured 1/2 mile), so this gives you about 400ft of roll up distance until you hit the cones. Start cones to finish cones is 1/2 mile. Some cars do varying rolls, some do standing starts, some have jumpy feet and go early, so start late. No prizes or trophies means you never feel like you "wasted" a good run. If you jumped early, kick yourself and line back up for a clean run!

Super laid back and casual. Most like that vibe, a few have not.

Ill try to answer questions as best I can.

-Tony

Maybe Tony can touch on this more. I thought he discussed it at the actual event but I very well could be making some things and mixing up WGF things as well.

he already did in the post above.

400 foot head start to the start of the 1/2 mile... so most speeds from this event should definitely be higher than wgf speeds.

FlyingGuy

Forum Sponsor
Apr 2, 2015
he already did in the post above.

400 foot head start to the start of the 1/2 mile... so most speeds from this event should definitely be higher than wgf speeds.

correct. Roughly 400 feet from the start cones, is where my grid person is. He is the one that drops hands and starts you on your way. Most people do a rolling start from that point, and punch it at the cones. Some people line up directly at the cones for a standing start, while yet a few others will opt for a standing start FROM my grid person. That is, admittedly, a halfmile plus roughly 400ft, so not an exact primer to measure from other events. But, some want to go all out for a personal best top speed regardless of exact distance.

Example... the red lambo did a standing 212mph 1/2 mile in Rantoul last year. However, he did a standing start from back near my grid person (just for fun, and personal best) and hit 221mph. Again, this was for no other metric other than personal best top speed for him. Majority of the posts made were of his 212mph pass, since that was the halfmile speed.

Hope that helps. We are pretty flexible and easy going. We get to be that way with participants since there's no trophies and awards or egos. It's all in fun

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
So it is my understanding at this event racers were allowed to "roll out" to the cones where the start of the 1/2 mile started? So if one has decided to "roll race" they would be at the starting line already moving at whatever mph? IMO if you started at the starting line already going XX mph you would have a better chance going faster at the 1/2 end then someone starting at zero at the same line. Seems cars went considerably faster at this event VS the wanna go fast. At wanna go fast we had a starting line with a light. When it turned green you could go. If you wanted to "roll race" it was up to the drivers at what speed or what point in the 1/2 to start. How did this work for guys who wanted to set a 1/2 mile MPH record? Is a standard around for this sort of thing? Two different events setup different ways. Or am I completely wrong?

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
So it is my understanding at this event racers were allowed to "roll out" to the cones where the start of the 1/2 mile started? So if one has decided to "roll race" they would be at the starting line already moving at whatever mph? IMO if you started at the starting line already going XX mph you would have a better chance going faster at the 1/2 end then someone starting at zero at the same line. Seems cars went considerably faster at this event VS the wanna go fast. At wanna go fast we had a starting line with a light. When it turned green you could go. If you wanted to "roll race" it was up to the drivers at what speed or what point in the 1/2 to start. How did this work for guys who wanted to set a 1/2 mile MPH record? Is a standard around for this sort of thing? Two different events setup different ways. Or am I completely wrong?

I think it would be nearly impossible to go slower at this even considering you are starting from a 40-50 roll AND still have a full 1/2 mile of travel.

At WGF you would lose probably a good 4-500 feet of roll out cutting into that time, I know a bunch of people went slower from a roll, my fastest time was from a dig.

I'd hope that these 1/2 mile records are pretty much only against the ones in the same day's/weekends running. So many factors play a roll at speeds like this... hell one day could be a 20mph tail wind, the next a 20mph headwind, let alone the dozens of other conditions that would affect DA and other things.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I think it would be nearly impossible to go slower at this even considering you are starting from a 40-50 roll AND still have a full 1/2 mile of travel.

At WGF you would lose probably a good 4-500 feet of roll out cutting into that time, I know a bunch of people went slower from a roll, my fastest time was from a dig.

I'd hope that these 1/2 mile records are pretty much only against the ones in the same day's/weekends running. So many factors play a roll at speeds like this... hell one day could be a 20mph tail wind, the next a 20mph headwind, let alone the dozens of other conditions that would affect DA and other things.

I know we had some crazy winds on Saturday at the omega event.

I think a lot of the mph has to do with the car and how it is setup. For me the Trans am is setup for the quarter mile. The car was very happy until about 125-130 and then shifted to 4th and kinda just fell on its face. My best was 144 mph or something screaming at 6100 rpms. I feel that if I would have done a dig and launched like I do at the drag strip I could get close to that mph vs me starting at 35-40 which is a huge dead spot for f bodies with a 4l60

I will experiment more this year. Plus the car will have a few extra goodies

Thread Info