My Turbo LS1 Trans-Am build

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
Looks like a great start to a build! Looks like you've got enough fuel to go big (with larger injectors :D )... so be careful not to push it too hard and kill the motor!

Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions and good luck! :D

I'm sure I'll be hitting you up for some ideas as I get more involved. Are you running a stock cam or get a grind like the speed inc turbo cams? I ended up going with one of those.

What converter did you go with?

I'm keeping my Yank SS3600 for now. I spoke to the guys at Circle D and they were telling me for the lower boost I'm running now that the Yank should be fine. He said that it compares to a 3400 Circle D in the stall department. Next year when i plan on upping the boost I'll get a bigger converter that is probably stalled lower around 3200. How about you?

I may have seen ur post...

I don't really want to dump a retarded amount into the car this year. Last year ruined my desire to spend 15k+ on the car.

errr, yeah, this has put me back about that much and I'm not even going to break more than 550whp. :(

Oh well, gives me something more to look forward to next year.

I like

Subscribed to this Thread

looks sick... wanna race ?

Hey!!! thems racin' words. It's on!!! (I only race for fun or maybe a case of beer to the winner)

I see straightline in the video.....they tuned it?

Yep, I really like them guys there, but I'll probably get it tuned at Speed inc or modern muscle. Not to say straightline can't do turbo, it's just that I got the cam and a bunch of odds and ends from speed inc.

Looks like the beginnings to a nice project. You seemed to have planned it out fairly well so far, not just slapping a turbo on a completely stock car with no supporting modifications.

That is the idea. It set me back some, but I'm hoping it will be worth it. I didn't want to run 500+ whp on a stock drivetrain and worry everytime I blip the throttle.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
Looks like a great start to a build! Looks like you've got enough fuel to go big (with larger injectors :D )... so be careful not to push it too hard and kill the motor!

Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions and good luck! :D

Did you do any ceramic coating, header wrap or turbo blanket for your setup to keep the heat in the pipes and not radiate?

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Yep, I really like them guys there, but I'll probably get it tuned at Speed inc or modern muscle. Not to say straightline can't do turbo, it's just that I got the cam and a bunch of odds and ends from speed inc.

I'd strongly suggest you check into tuning with Fast MotorSports. Brandon knows his stuff and his pricing is usually pretty aggressive as well. I was VERY pleased with his work.

http://www.fastune.net/

http://www.thechicagogarage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=101

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
What does Brandon tune with and can he give me a base tune flash so that I can drive the car in? I'm doing all the install stuff at home, but can't fire it up with the injectors until I get a tune for it. Plus I want to make sure everything is running right before getting it dyno tuned.

Who did your ceramic coating Eagle?

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
He tunes with HPTuners. I'd speak with him to see what he suggests on the base tune. I actually drove my car in for the first tune.

I bought my piping and turbo off a car, so the coating was already done for me.

Cool, I'll have to do that. Hopefully I can get my kit by mid January and get the ceramic coating done soon therafter. I want this thing rolling by spring so hopefully everything falls into place. It's nice having a brother-in-law with a lift and a shit load of tools. Can't wait to get this thing going.

What did you do with your exhaust? I'd imagine you just got the single downpipe dumped after the trans right? I'm going to try and get an electric cutout setup to go after the downpipe and hook up to the catback. I love my cheap ass magnaflow even though it's starting to rust. It's so quiet and if I want it load I just flip the switch.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
^Thats such a badass video(first one you posted). I love how these turbo cars give that look of being ho hum off the line then take off out of nowhere once you hit boost. Can't wait for that feeling. I've been spoiled with my 335xi because the boost kicks in at pretty low RPM. I can only imagine that a v8 wouldn't be laggy either

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
What does Brandon tune with and can he give me a base tune flash so that I can drive the car in? I'm doing all the install stuff at home, but can't fire it up with the injectors until I get a tune for it. Plus I want to make sure everything is running right before getting it dyno tuned.

Leave the current injectors in, and swap them at the shop. Problem solved. It only takes a few minutes to change them.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
Mine comes in full on @ ~4200, just above max stall speed. :D

So are you running a 4000 stall then? What gear you got in your moser? Just curious cause I have a 3600 stall and 3.73 gear. Seems people think it's best to go lower stall and smaller gear to get more engine load to build boost and also not run out of gear too quickly. Maybe more for the 6 speed guys. What converter you got anyway?

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Yep, its a PTC setup for ~4000, built to spec for the turbo. I'm running a 3.23 gear - mostly due to the TH400. I had a m6 in the car, but losing boost between shifts just wasn't cool. You'll want more stall than 3600, because you want to build boost off the line with 2 step or a full on trans brake... bringing up the RPM against the brake doesn't do the trick to build boost. I run my 2 step at ~3650 and wish I could go higher... its just too hard to hold the car still. At that RPM its making ~4psi.

Fast Motorsports

Northside Badboy
Oct 16, 2008

I use HPT to tune.

Depending on where you are located we can work something out as far as a base tune or transportation to get your car to the dyno. Send me an email at [email protected] and we can work out some of the finer details. It would be much easier to get a detailed message going than a quick post here on the net. As always just give me a call as well and we can talk about any questions you have. I have been in the FI game for a long time now and this sounds like a fun project to bring into the shop

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I love how these turbo cars give that look of being ho hum off the line then take off out of nowhere once you hit boost.

It is even more fun leaving the line with boost! As long as you can hook it. lol

So are you running a 4000 stall then? What gear you got in your moser? Just curious cause I have a 3600 stall and 3.73 gear. Seems people think it's best to go lower stall and smaller gear to get more engine load to build boost and also not run out of gear too quickly. Maybe more for the 6 speed guys. What converter you got anyway?

do you have a trans brake in your trans?

If you have a trans brake you can run a tight low stall converter that will load that turbo hard. Because once you build boost the torque increases. When the torque increases it will raise the stall speed. I run a 3000 rpm converter but I can launch at any rpm. I build boost and the rpm climbs quick! I limit the launch rpm with the three step.

If you don't have a trans brake you will have to balance the converter a lot more. Too low the car will not build boost at the line. Too high and you loose efficiency up top and may leave with too much rpm. A good converter company will get it close the first time. But it is not un common to have to restall the converter a time or two after the initial install.

With a turbo car you make good low end torque. You do not need a high (numerically) ring and pinion to make up for the lack or torque. And it will help load the turbo more.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
It is even more fun leaving the line with boost! As long as you can hook it. lol

do you have a trans brake in your trans?

If you have a trans brake you can run a tight low stall converter that will load that turbo hard. Because once you build boost the torque increases. When the torque increases it will raise the stall speed. I run a 3000 rpm converter but I can launch at any rpm. I build boost and the rpm climbs quick! I limit the launch rpm with the three step.

If you don't have a trans brake you will have to balance the converter a lot more. Too low the car will not build boost at the line. Too high and you loose efficiency up top and may leave with too much rpm. A good converter company will get it close the first time. But it is not un common to have to restall the converter a time or two after the initial install.

With a turbo car you make good low end torque. You do not need a high (numerically) ring and pinion to make up for the lack or torque. And it will help load the turbo more.

No trans brake or two step for now. My intention is to build a street car that will see the track here and there, but didn't want to get too crazy with it. At least, not until next year. Honestly, I've never used or seen first hand how a trans brake works for launching but get the idea. Now if i checked out yours then it may be on my christmas list for next year ;)

All this turbo talk makes me wanna get one :bowdown:

It's fun, definitely would recommend it to anyone that would like to try it.

Dood, that car is both ghey and weak. Totally!!! Just walk away from it. Park it in front of my house and drop the title and keys in my mail slot and walk away from it. TRUST ME, I am doing you a huge favor!

Seriously tho, sweet car and welcome.

But, but, but.....No, I get it, it's a stupid mullet mobile. I'll do as you ask to spare the humiliation of trading it in. Would you mind if I just pile all the parts in the hatch since I don't want to suffer ridicule for trying to sell them on ebay?

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Looks like a fun build :bigthumb:

I was poking around Kentucky Turbo a little while back and saw they have a kit that works with air conditioning. Very interesting. I've also read a lot of good things about them on LS1Tech.

Brandon has already made his presence in this thread, but I can vouch for the quality of his work as well. Modern Muscle tuned my car initially, and Brandon improved on the tune immensely.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
No trans brake or two step for now. My intention is to build a street car that will see the track here and there, but didn't want to get too crazy with it. At least, not until next year. Honestly, I've never used or seen first hand how a trans brake works for launching but get the idea. Now if i checked out yours then it may be on my christmas list for next year ;)

Oh believe me when I say you will love a trans brake. lmao

It engages first and reverse at the same time. This prevents the trans from moving the car at all. Because it is locked it loads the motor against the converter real hard. And when you add in boost for an adjustable stall speed it helps you get the tight launch rpm for a hard launch. But not to hard that it blows the tires away. When you let go of the trans brake button it is like dumping the clutch. So imagine being at 4000rpm, making 6# of boost and launching that way. Good times!!!! haha

Come spring I can show you in my car. And my car is a street car too. I put a lot of miles on my car. I drive it almost every day as long as it isn't raining. To work, to the grocery store, cruise nights, on dates, etc. The trans brake has no effect on the trans when it is not engaged. You will be fine with one in a street car.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Oh believe me when I say you will love a trans brake. lmao

It engages first and reverse at the same time. This prevents the trans from moving the car at all. Because it is locked it loads the motor against the converter real hard. And when you add in boost for an adjustable stall speed it helps you get the tight launch rpm for a hard launch. But not to hard that it blows the tires away. When you let go of the trans brake button it is like dumping the clutch. So imagine being at 4000rpm, making 6# of boost and launching that way. Good times!!!! haha

Come spring I can show you in my car. And my car is a street car too. I put a lot of miles on my car. I drive it almost every day as long as it isn't raining. To work, to the grocery store, cruise nights, on dates, etc. The trans brake has no effect on the trans when it is not engaged. You will be fine with one in a street car.

I very much hope to have one in my car for the spring! :nannerpunk:

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I very much hope to have one in my car for the spring! :nannerpunk:
You better! Do you know what VB you are going with? If not check out the Griner unit that lets you leave in 2nd gear on the trans brake. It is a killer set up that would be nice for a turbo car on a iffy track. If/when I go to a TH400 that is the one I am going with. Expensive but well worth it I think. Killing some gearing on a slick track will be a good thing. www.grinerengineering.com

But with a TB, C16 and some big boost you should have a fun spring. haha Hopefully the suspension and power management is up for it.

Thread Info