Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
:rofl: ok.

Or maybe people should buy a race car for the track not a street car.
There are plenty of cars that can more than handle an auto cross or track day that aren't marketed as a car that can, seems like blatant false advertising. Also I think the fact that they've remedied it the following year seems like an admission of guilt.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
admission of guilt? Ford can easily say it was improving the product to suit the customers demands.

Again still goes back to if the owner wants to track their vehicle that hard it should be up to them to purchase the vehicle setup accordingly. OR make the necessary improvements to do so.

I could see this being a case if they ALL over heated during normal daily street driving but they dont.

Ford should not be responsible for how the consumer uses their product. Thats one hell of a slippery slope.

Where do you draw the line what next ban all mustangs from the streets because some jackass cant drive leaving cars and coffee and plowed into a crowd? :rofl:

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
admission of guilt? Ford can easily say it was improving the product to suit the customers demands.

Again still goes back to if the owner wants to track their vehicle that hard it should be up to them to purchase the vehicle setup accordingly. OR make the necessary improvements to do so.

I could see this being a case if they ALL over heated during normal daily street driving but they dont.

Ford should not be responsible for how the consumer uses their product. Thats one hell of a slippery slope.

Where do you draw the line what next ban all mustangs from the streets because some jackass cant drive leaving cars and coffee and plowed into a crowd? :rofl:
If Ford started marketing the mustang as a vehicle that does sliding burnouts leaving car shows, then sure.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
my stock junk 14 year old s2000 handles track days like a champ. i didn't have to "track prep" my car, or buy the track pack. honda setup the cooling system to meet the needs of the car. meanwhile some shitbox $60k mustang can't go 15 mins without going into limpdick mode. but that's the customer's fault for not paying $7k more for a track pack, because oil coolers cost too much money to be standard.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
should dodge be sued if someone breaks a drive shaft or half shaft at a drag strip? The hellcat is supposed to be the baddest drag car out currently right off the show room floor.

So should the be sued every time some owner breaks a part or something goes wrong at a track?

Where do you draw the line? IMO the answer is pretty simple.

Once a vehicle has been taken OFF the street and taken to a track all bets and warranties and liabilities and responsibility from the manufacturer is off the table. From then on its the customers responsibility and risk to whatever they subject the vehicle to.

Ford shouldnt have to pay shit here.

If the common problems were under normal street driving conditions then thats a different story.

Seems to me like Flyn said people just out chasing a pot of gold. Boohoo its always about the money indeed.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
The money works both ways.

Owners want to be able to beat on their cars. Sometimes, to ridiculous extremes. Manufacturers should not be liable for abuse (unless they advertised similar abuses).

Manufacturers want to make money. Sometimes, they cut corners to make more. Sometimes, IMO (don't sue me), they know they are cheaping out. Sometimes they discover a problem after the car is in production and then cheap out.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
The money works both ways.

Owners want to be able to beat on their cars. Sometimes, to ridiculous extremes. Manufacturers should not be liable for abuse (unless they advertised similar abuses).

Manufacturers want to make money. Sometimes, they cut corners to make more. Sometimes, IMO (don't sue me), they know they are cheaping out. Sometimes they discover a problem after the car is in production and then cheap out.

Buying a high HP car and not thrashing it some is like fucking a supermodel and stopping half way through.

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2010
North Aurora
There are plenty of cars that can more than handle an auto cross or track day that aren't marketed as a car that can, seems like blatant false advertising. Also I think the fact that they've remedied it the following year seems like an admission of guilt.

^^^This^^^

I've tracked my 13 year old supercharged Marauder all day. Beat the living crap out of it and it never had an issue.

A Shelby GT350 should be able to handle a track day. I'd say it's pretty pathetic if it can't since its marketed as a performance track car.

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
should dodge be sued if someone breaks a drive shaft or half shaft at a drag strip? The hellcat is supposed to be the baddest drag car out currently right off the show room floor.

So should the be sued every time some owner breaks a part or something goes wrong at a track?

Where do you draw the line? IMO the answer is pretty simple.

Once a vehicle has been taken OFF the street and taken to a track all bets and warranties and liabilities and responsibility from the manufacturer is off the table. From then on its the customers responsibility and risk to whatever they subject the vehicle to.

Ford shouldnt have to pay shit here.

If the common problems were under normal street driving conditions then thats a different story.

Seems to me like Flyn said people just out chasing a pot of gold. Boohoo its always about the money indeed.
I've never once seen a hellcat commercial where it's drag racing. It certainly should be able to do burnouts forever just like in commercials.

cdh027

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 10, 2004
Sunny Florida
Some of you may remember that way back in 2003/2004, Chicago Mike #shoutouttoagoodFordguyChicagoMike and I publicized an alleged defect in the Terminator Cobras on Modular Fords and SVTPerformance that, IMO and other Cobra owners' opinions, caused the half shafts to pop/tink and eventually slip or break. Drag strip parking lot half shaft replacements got to be a common event after the half shafts would break at the track. Rear End Pop/Tink poll | SVTPerformance.com

Ford ended up replacing my half shafts along with Chicago Mike's and other guys who jumped in at the time. Ford's TSB called for re-torquing the half shaft nuts. IMO, this did not work and was a cheap "fix" for a known problem. IIRC, Ford, then, came out with another TSB that called for lubing up the half shaft teeth. IMO, that did not work, either. Notice, both TSBs called for inexpensive "repairs" rather than replacement of the parts. Looks like nothing has changed.

Man up, Ford. Build the cars right or fix them.

Don't forget the need for the famous head cooling mod........

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
You can take a 99 Civic Ex to the track (if it's manual) and run it ALL day long. I'm sure you can argue the car only has 120hp, but it was over-engineered so there aren't any issues. It's just silly that a car *could* overheat at all. That's terrible engineering, it's clearly not able to handle the power it has.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I have not read the law suit. But I believe the motor cooling is fine. The issues are the rest end and transmission temps. I believe I read the trans temp limit was from Tremec. Ford puts the car into limp mode when they trans hits that temp. It was mentioned that Ford would refresh the computer with higher temps before it gets put u to limp mode. Seems that would be the easiest and cheapest solution for now. Then see of any transmissions have any failures later. I doubt that many get tracked and even less have issues as it is. Rebuilding a few transmission here and there might be easier and cheaper in the long run. I can't imagine paying lowest to deal with this would be cheaper. Hahaha

P40E

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2012
This is such an easy recall or campaign for dealer to fix , 4,000 cars is nothing . Send out a bulletin . Who ever wants the Trans upgrade gets it . Drop your gt350 off at the dealer . Done . Stop being ford haters , they put the temp sensors there for a reason .

The car is great enough on the track to overheat some shit . :fy:

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Don't forget the need for the famous head cooling mod........

I was thinking about the similarity between poor coolant flow in both cases, the head in the Terminator Cobras and the trans in the Shelbys.

If LDC was still in business and Dana was still with us, he and Lyle would have already designed a fix and I'd be selling it to the Shelby guys.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Diff and trans coolers were standard if I recall.

Correct.

Actually, they added the track package to all the cars. So now all cars come with the coolers, magnaride, recaro seats, and so on. Now the options are just the electronics package stuff. And you can no longer get the seats that were offered in earlier years with the Tech Package. This is how the car should have been from the beginning. Making owners chose one or the other was lame.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
what was changed in 2017 to "fix" the issue?

The Track Package, which was previously an option, is now standard. Oil coolers, Magnetic suspension, Recaro seats. It solved a few problems with the car's packaging. Previously, you couldn't get the Track package with Sync 3. Nor the Tech package with the coolers and good Recaro seats. I believe the magnetic shocks were also optional and included on Tech and Track Pack cars but not the base one for 2016.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info