Mortgage Experiences & PMI

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Still figuring it out. It looks like no matter how we slice it it's going to be a complicated transaction. We sat out on offering on this house though because it was multiple offers right off the bat and they wanted me to get an offer in by 6:00 yesterday to compete with the others.

I wasn't about to make an emotional decision on something like this. So we'll figure it out so that we're ready to offer when the next house pops up.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I saw a home come on the market one Friday afternoon around 4 PM. Called my customers and we looked at it at 6. Wrote the offer that night and got an acceptance Saturday morning. Good thing because they received two more offers on Sunday.

In today's market, it helps to move fast and make the offer fast on bargain or attractive homes. You should be able to have an inspection period written into your contract that will give you the opportunity to inspect the home in more detail once you have an executed contract.

Disclaimer: I am licensed in Florida. Check with your local Realtors to get information about your State's real estate laws and trends.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Any update to this, [MENTION=396]Mike K[/MENTION] ?

I bought last year w/ a small down payment and a hefty PMI monthly payment. 10 months later and I'm now working to refinance to a lower rate and drop off the PMI...

So when I shopped rates and down payments and PMI's, the lower my initial down payment the lower the interest rate...it was weird...

How much is your PMI and what % did you put down if you don't mind my asking?

(I put down ~13% and have a $44 PMI payment)

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
I was told by a few lenders that you need to put 20% down to avoid PMI.

That is correct. But the PMI % you are charged goes down with the higher down payment. Here was the numbers for me. You can see how putting more down would decreases that monthly insurance payment as they call it.

[FONT=&quot] 5 % down is 1.20% (Of[FONT=&quot] Loan amount[/FONT]) PMI =[FONT=&quot]$294 a month on as example a 300k [FONT=&quot]loa[FONT=&quot]n.[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
10 % down is .76% [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]([/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Of[FONT=&quot] Loan amount[/FONT][/FONT]) PMI = $228 a month [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]on as example a 300k [FONT=&quot]loa[FONT=&quot]n.[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
15% down is .44% [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]([/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Of[FONT=&quot] Loan amount[/FONT][/FONT]) PMI[FONT=&quot] = $132 a month [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]on as example a 300k [FONT=&quot]loa[FONT=&quot]n.[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
That is correct. But the PMI % you are charged goes down with the higher down payment. Here was the numbers for me. You can see how putting more down would decreases that monthly insurance payment as they call it.

[FONT=&quot] 5 % down is 1.20% (Of[FONT=&quot] Loan amount[/FONT]) PMI =[FONT=&quot]$294 a month on as example a 300k [FONT=&quot]loa[FONT=&quot]n.[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
10 % down is .76% [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]([/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Of[FONT=&quot] Loan amount[/FONT][/FONT]) PMI = $228 a month [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]on as example a 300k [FONT=&quot]loa[FONT=&quot]n.[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
15% down is .44% [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]([/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Of[FONT=&quot] Loan amount[/FONT][/FONT]) PMI[FONT=&quot] = $132 a month [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]on as example a 300k [FONT=&quot]loa[FONT=&quot]n.[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

I will say that most of the "estimates" for what my PMI should be according to those calculators were way off....this one was spot on though, plus has an amortization schedule

PMI Calculator - How to Calculate Mortgage Insurance

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
Yeah, I thought that was implied knowledge...

I can start "applying" to remove my PMI when my debt ratio reaches 18%, but will automatically be removed at 20%. If you bought a recent FHA home, you have lifetime PMI (or until you refinance)

I just got my loan back in June. Mine drops off at 80% if I'm not mistaken. :dunno:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info