Member looking for Jeep/Rust Help

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
I just gotta confirm something, sorry if this post upsets you but maybe it’ll serve as a reality check? Idk

You have a wife, a newborn, and a 4 door AWD BMW/mini but you prefer to put your family in a quarter million mile structurally unsound heap when roads are at their most dangerous? And now you’re looking to bandaid fix some rust and put that thing back out on the road?

Donate it or sell for cheap, write off the loss as a lesson learned. In a serious accident that thing is probably about as safe as a go cart

The mini on the other hand is never going to be a show car and will depreciate just like any other German car once the warranty is up. Take advantage of the only things it has to offer: safety and great winter driving ability

Logic and reason that any intelligent individual would follow.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I called you last night dude.

Sorry I missed you! I have a long time friend swinging out tomorrow to get a lay of the land and take a crack at it. I'll give you a call back if this doesn't shake out well!

Side-Note, Thank you to all those that had positive input, the PO and myself are readily aware of this being sucky, shit happens and we've known each other well over a Decade.

The unibody 'frame' Rails are exceptionally clean everywhere else under the truck now that I have it up in the air on my lift with the wheels off, floor pans and even the rockers minus one small spot are also all rust free. It's like whoever was undercoating that side didn't spray it thoroughly enough, or didn't correctly prep the area so that the coating flaked away over the years. I'll post up some more pics later, its a bit of a trip.

The only stuff that's especially ugly is suspension components, which are all obviously replaceable, so I think if we can get this fixed and sealed up, we can circle back in Spring and install the re-enforcement panel for good measure to ensure its longevity.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Better/clearer shot of the 'Bad', which sat behind the rear pass side wheel, which is why it wasn't screamingly obvious at the time (The Bump stop mounts on both sides are gross/crusty, but the frame where they mount to is fine/clean).

KIhTeZE.jpg

YuvF7pd.jpg

Here's the Pass side from the rear looking forward:

K5bG56w.jpg

Pass Front:

SkZIdGN.jpg

Here's the driver side in the same area where the rotten area on the pass side is (The splatter is just PB Blaster), the only nasty stuff at the edges of the photos are surface rust on things like the hitch bracket or fuel tank shield which I don't care about:

en0v43k.jpg

ip9m8sj.jpg

Under the driver side from the rear looking forward (shows the only rocker rust starting up, but shows how clean the floor/rocker/rails are):

SMq6mCy.jpg

Here's the Driver side front (where it would be covered in salt from the tire kicking it up):

0simFzr.jpg

Looking at the photos, its like from the factory they didn't prep the passenger side so it didn't stick and/or didn't spray it as heavily because the whole side is visibly lighter with protection compared to the driver side.

Hopefully this also shows everyone why I don't want to just scrap the thing and walk away from it, it's actually very solid minus that VERY specific area which is why this was such a surprise to the PO as well as myself. There's simply no way this was a Mid-West truck all its life.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Sorry I missed you! I have a long time friend swinging out tomorrow to get a lay of the land and take a crack at it. I'll give you a call back if this doesn't shake out well!

Side-Note, Thank you to all those that had positive input, the PO and myself are readily aware of this being sucky, shit happens and we've known each other well over a Decade.

The unibody 'frame' Rails are exceptionally clean everywhere else under the truck now that I have it up in the air on my lift with the wheels off, floor pans and even the rockers minus one small spot are also all rust free. It's like whoever was undercoating that side didn't spray it thoroughly enough, or didn't correctly prep the area so that the coating flaked away over the years. I'll post up some more pics later, its a bit of a trip.

The only stuff that's especially ugly is suspension components, which are all obviously replaceable,
so I think if we can get this fixed and sealed up, we can circle back in Spring and install the re-enforcement panel for good measure to ensure its longevity.

you will break every single upper shock bolt you touch in the rear

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
i did the air chisel fishing line technique.

and now i remember why i never wanted another one.

Or how about the single hole injectors that are from 1953 and putting in new 4 hole injectors gains an mpg or two even though Chrysler used those 4 hole injectors in other vehicles (early 90s Neons) BUT NEVER THOUGHT TO DO THE SAME WITH THE XJ.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
There is a "Flag Bolt" kit that they sell to deal with this now; which has a little flange that you can hold without having to cut the floor up:

Rear Upper Bar Pin Flag Nut for 1984-2001 Jeep XJ Cherokee [1082] | Rough Country Suspension Systems®

Work Smart, Not Hard

:rofl: so you'll still just have to air chisel rust into your eyes and mouth.

sounds fun.

To install, simply knock out the factory nuts welded

right, definitely smart and not hard.

fuck these thigns.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Thank you to all those that offered to help, I had a close friend offer and he swung out and patched the rail.

Looks stout, and I’ve sealed it up with undercoat after cleaning with some heat in the garage so it should happily rock all winter.

We pulled the fuel tank for space and safety, so sorting the rear suspension is next on the “To-Do” list.

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
Thank you to all those that offered to help, I had a close friend offer and he swung out and patched the rail.

Looks stout, and I’ve sealed it up with undercoat after cleaning with some heat in the garage so it should happily rock all winter.

We pulled the fuel tank for space and safety, so sorting the rear suspension is next on the “To-Do” list.

No pics ??

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
The carnage:

dDnPO4X.jpg

Pulling the hitch and shielding off, found an Indiana state license plate was used as a ghetto heat shield for the exhaust...

X4F2nnF.jpg

cESYN43.jpg

Booger welds with no gas; cringe worthy for most, good enough for now:

MgebMLj.jpg

PkSd7u9.jpg

hejFxQW.jpg

Got it cleaned up and undercoated. Will fill the rail with Greatstuff once I pull the rear bumper to try and seal it up from getting worse from the inside out.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info