Member looking for Jeep/Rust Help

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
I personally woudn't spend the coin to fix it. It's simply not worth it. Usually rust is 10 times worst than what it looks like. Is it hurting anything being there, no. I'd either drive the wheels off of it or sell it. Thing looks rather rusty. I.E. brake line doesn't look too hot. Chrysler are known for their rust.

IZZy

Wheel and tire tycoon
Dec 15, 2007
Have you contacted the seller to see if he would in some way make it right?

Assuming he knew this was there and if he didnt know it then and knows it now I would expect him to at least try to work something out.

EDIT:

Reread your original post and it says that neither of you were aware.

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego
You can't weld to rust. And the crumbly, rusty metal probably extends about 4x the size of the hole.

If you can find a patch panel, you might be better off knocking off the loose rust and using panel adhesive to glue the part on.

I coated the underside of the truck with "fluid film" (google it). For the worst spots, I covered them in axle grease.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
I know you have offers of help but throwing this out there if you can't find a factory replacement panel. If you have the crusty piece cut out I should be able to fab you up a patch so Hilrod or someone else can weld it all in. I'd offer the whole service but you wouldn't get that heap in my garage and I'm not welding on a car unless everything around it is stripped out. :pedobear:

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I know you have offers of help but throwing this out there if you can't find a factory replacement panel. If you have the crusty piece cut out I should be able to fab you up a patch so Hilrod or someone else can weld it all in. I'd offer the whole service but you wouldn't get that heap in my garage and I'm not welding on a car unless everything around it is stripped out. :pedobear:

I think what I'm hoping to do is this:

My garage is insulated and heated.

I'm going to break down the rear suspension and rear axle and move it out of the way, drop the fuel tank and rear exhaust section. Generally get everything out of the way while leaving the body nice and high up on my Quick-Jack.

Beg for help to repair the rot in my garage, and to add re-enforcement panel. Obviously that means someone would have to bring their welding equipment physically here, but at least the rust would be as exposed as possible.

Also, I don't have 220, which I'm concerned adds problems for this plan as well :noes:

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
I think what I'm hoping to do is this:

My garage is insulated and heated.

I'm going to break down the rear suspension and rear axle and move it out of the way, drop the fuel tank and rear exhaust section. Generally get everything out of the way while leaving the body nice and high up on my Quick-Jack.

Beg for help to repair the rot in my garage, and to add re-enforcement panel. Obviously that means someone would have to bring their welding equipment physically here, but at least the rust would be as exposed as possible.

Also, I don't have 220, which I'm concerned adds problems for this plan as well :noes:

oy... have someone dragging a welder and bottle and you can't even provide the 220 :fu:

j/k

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
http://www.thechicagogarage.com/for...0-fs-1998-jeep-cherokee-sport-4x4-4-0-i6.html

So - buyer be ware, but agree with Izzy, with selling to another member in this small community have to ask if the sellers was aware of and pointed out the rust / rot?

The for sale post doesn't touch on body condition, though it is a 1998 200K + mile heap, so one could expect some rust. However is the current condition any more unsafe than off the assembly line?

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
I just gotta confirm something, sorry if this post upsets you but maybe it’ll serve as a reality check? Idk

You have a wife, a newborn, and a 4 door AWD BMW/mini but you prefer to put your family in a quarter million mile structurally unsound heap when roads are at their most dangerous? And now you’re looking to bandaid fix some rust and put that thing back out on the road?

Donate it or sell for cheap, write off the loss as a lesson learned. In a serious accident that thing is probably about as safe as a go cart

The mini on the other hand is never going to be a show car and will depreciate just like any other German car once the warranty is up. Take advantage of the only things it has to offer: safety and great winter driving ability

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
I just gotta confirm something, sorry if this post upsets you but maybe it’ll serve as a reality check? Idk

You have a wife, a newborn, and a 4 door AWD BMW/mini but you prefer to put your family in a quarter million mile structurally unsound heap when roads are at their most dangerous? And now you’re looking to bandaid fix some rust and put that thing back out on the road?

Donate it or sell for cheap, write off the loss as a lesson learned. In a serious accident that thing is probably about as safe as a go cart

The mini on the other hand is never going to be a show car and will depreciate just like any other German car once the warranty is up. Take advantage of the only things it has to offer: safety and great winter driving ability

THANK YOU

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL

Truck was not purchased with the intent to be kept; was intended for my brother in law (Thank Christ that fell through at this point).

After that fell through, my wife ended up enjoying driving the truck and was attracted to the idea of keeping it as HER project vehicle, and as an auxilary truck to keep some winter roaming off the Cooper since I take the Suburban to the train station (and/or I'll take the Jeep to the train and she can take the Suburban).

Lastly; My work situation currently is not stellar, so having back-up's to things with car notes on them isn't a bad idea right now.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info