Massive data breach at Equifax

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
21742999_705954996277205_1329980514082510604_n.jpg

God I hope this is fake....

If they really have someone as their Chief Security Officer whos degree is in music people will lose their shit. :rofl:

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I read yesterday that the hackers got in through a known issue with the popular programming they were using. The patch came out on like March 6th and the hack took place in May sometime. So they had two months to implement the easy patches to make sure they didn't have exposure. That didn't happen. Good job.

The fact higher ups sold off stock just before this should be investigated. But we go soft on blue collar crime in this country. So I am sure that will get to keep the money and spend some time at a nice resort, I mean prison.

*Edit* just grabbed a link when I googled it just now.
https://www.nbcnews.com/business/consumer/how-did-equifax-hack-even-happen-n801331

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
there is a ransom demand too.

The hackers have now made a ransom demand, stating on a Darkweb site that they will delete the data for a ransom payment of 600 BTC, worth approximately $2.6 million.

The demand said that if they do not receive the funds from Equifax by September 15th, they will publicize the data.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
I read yesterday that the hackers got in through a known issue with the popular programming they were using. The patch came out on like March 6th and the hack took place in May sometime. So they had two months to implement the easy patches to make sure they didn't have exposure. That didn't happen. Good job.

The fact higher ups sold off stock just before this should be investigated. But we go soft on blue collar crime in this country. So I am sure that will get to keep the money and spend some time at a nice resort, I mean prison.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/consumer/how-did-equifax-hack-even-happen-n801331

Heard they got in through Apache

Again - importance of an effective patch program and monitoring vulnerabilities.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)

Um that's white collar crime.

That said, lovely example of insider trading. It also said they were trying to get legislation worked through to reduce liability. Man, if there was ever a time to get the torches and pitch forks out.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I shorted the stock on the way down and now I've bought some to hopefully find the bottom, assuming it's not too far below where we are. I'm a bit concerned. On the one hand, their whole business is information and they just failed at their core business. I don't know how you come back from that. Plus they have something like $400m in cash and 3b in debt and they're about to be sued off the face of the earth.

On the other hand, they are a very reputable company otherwise, companies like Wells Fargo actually overtly ripped people off and are doing just fine and the stock board is nearly unanimous in saying that the stock is going to continue to shit the bed until eventual bankruptcy. Historically whenever the stock board is unanimous on a stock going one directly or the other you can pretty much bank on it going the other direction. I always feel good about buying a stock when comments like "sure thing" or "no brainer" are being made by people who are shorting it.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
I shorted the stock on the way down and now I've bought some to hopefully find the bottom, assuming it's not too far below where we are. I'm a bit concerned. On the one hand, their whole business is information and they just failed at their core business. I don't know how you come back from that. Plus they have something like $400m in cash and 3b in debt and they're about to be sued off the face of the earth.

On the other hand, they are a very reputable company otherwise, companies like Wells Fargo actually overtly ripped people off and are doing just fine and the stock board is nearly unanimous in saying that the stock is going to continue to shit the bed until eventual bankruptcy. Historically whenever the stock board is unanimous on a stock going one directly or the other you can pretty much bank on it going the other direction. I always feel good about buying a stock when comments like "sure thing" or "no brainer" are being made by people who are shorting it.

How have the others like Target recovered? I think that would be your answer overall. They offer a product only 3 companies in the world typically do. You'll probably be fine.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
The issue I see is that Target's business isn't information security and Equifax's is. So despite whatever breach Target had, their core business continues unscathed. Equifax has undermined their core product. So that's the risk. That said, it isn't a scandal and I think the public is starting to become used to these breaches. If this was 2007 I think the response would be a lot different than it is.

I hope I'm right. The stock really isn't moving today which means it's either finding a bottom or it's consolidating before it's next leg down. Hope that isn't the case. :rofl:

BlaqSnake

PC Pimp
May 13, 2006
Aurora, IL

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
https://www.engadget.com/2018/02/10/equifax-breach-may-have-exposed-more-data/

The 2017 Equifax data breach was already extremely serious by itself, but there are hints it was somehow worse. CNN has learned that Equifax told the US Senate Banking Committee that more data may have been exposed than initially determined. The hack may have compromised more driver's license info, such as the issuing data and host state, as well as tax IDs. In theory, it would be that much easier for intruders to commit fraud.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info