Major Router malware...make sure your model isn't one of them affected

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
So if I don't have the WAN admin enabled or default password I'm good to go?
Not necessarily, but that is an easy way to get attacked. If you have one of the models listed, reboot and factory reset. Most of the infected devices are in Ukraine, but if your model is listed, it has a publicly known vulnerability that could be used to get infected. Right now the FBI shutdown the domains to activate stage 2 and 3 so you shouldn't have to worry about network monitoring/password stealing, but we still don't know how or what ways they are using to infect stage 1 onto devices. It could be a handful of known security vulnerabilities they are using.

If I had one listed, id reset it and use it only if needed until I buy a new router that isnt affected.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
I didnt even look at that. Yeah password change for the router is the #1 thing you change. :rofl:
I also limit who can access the setup webpage by MAC/IP. Makes it a little more difficult to get into setup since they need to spoof the right MAC to get access to the login prompt.

But there is a good chance this malware used a backdoor vulnerability which may bypass that all together.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
So what you're saying is that it's likely Netgear and these other OEMs are doing a shit job of patching firmware.

Most consumer brands do

Reset, new password, new firmware downloading direct from Netgear as it wasnt part of the auto updates.

I think I should be good now, right?

Is the firmware update related to this incident? or just a newer version then what you have? Doing that will clear any malware if you were infected, but it doesnt guarantee it wont happen again.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
The firmware update was directly related to security.

for now, I'd say so. Until they know exactly how they compromised the devices, you cant be super sure.

Id turn off remote access, wps, and upnp on the router also. And if you want to take it one step further, limit which computers can access the router config page.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
I have the Netgear R8000, I turned it off and rebooted. There was also a firmware update available on mine.

I'm not the most computer say, sooo yea [emoji23]
Firmware update is easy. Download the file, login to your router, find the firmware upgrade page and just point it to the file you downloaded.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info