LSA/CTS-V/ZR1 Supercharger on 2010 Silverado 2500HD

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
I talked to a good friend of mine yesterday who just moved from Arizona to Nebraska. He has a 2010 2500HD w/ 6.0L. CCSB. He pulled his grand prix on that trip going 70mph and averaged 10.1.

I've pulled a lot of grand prix's over the years, and they pull very easy. So, I don't think my original MPG is off my much, if any. He said that empty going 65, he can get around 14.5 though.

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
How often to you actually tow? Like every weekend or a handful of times a year? Once a month? If you are not pulling a 5k plus load more than once a month I'd lean gasser. I decided to not do diesel because I don't tow enough and the cost and complexity of mods. I know the LS stuff better too so it was a no brainer. Easy to work on, and have done it all before so I dont need to pay shops as much.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Do you do a lot of towing over great distances? Like, say over 200 miles once a month? To me, it's not that the gas trucks can't do it, its that the diesels do it so much more effortlessly. I pulled an 8,000 pound boat with my 1500 and didn't really complain, but, the furthest I towed it was 40-50 miles at a time. If I was pulling that same weight 500 miles, I'd get pretty tired of the truck constantly hunting for the best gear, etc. My 6.7 has pulled my enclosed through 10 states and barely left 6th gear, even through the mountains on the way to Colorado Springs. I love mine, and I wouldn't give up a diesel at this point, but I ask a lot from my truck.

School Boy

Spray the cubic inch at it!
Mar 28, 2011
I have a 6.0 in my truck. It gets around 13 combined and towing it gets like 10 with my open trailer and my mustang on it. Ive pulled a 25 foot inclosed trailer a few times and it was fine around tow but when you get up to 60-70 mph its horrible. The truck has a hard time. And this is coming from a guy that go rid of a diesel for this truck. If you plan on only pulling a open trailer you will be fine, I cant even feel it back there when I pull it. Also, if you go the LSA or LS9 blower option Id imagine you would have horrible IAT issues and will probably hurt that motor pulling long distances. Just my two cents.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
God I need to do some maintenance on mine, can't crack 9mpg with my lq4. Looks like 55 degrees Friday, maybe Ill take a half day and do plugs, wires and fuel filter. Wires look like originals with 90k on them.

It's the gearing. My parents 2003 Yukon 2500 with LQ4/80E and 4.10's gets about 10. Sometimes 9, sometimes 11, but its always right around there. It's the nature of the beat with them. Unless you have a 3.23 and do a lot of highway, I can't see one getting into the mid teens regularly. Pure highway, I can get about 13 out of it if I stay around 60, anything more than that it's turning too high of an RPM to have any sort of decent economy.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
It varys a lot for me. But I would say that I tow 10k maybe twice a week on average. Usually less than 30 miles each. Keep in mind that I am pulling through hills on just about every one of these trips.

I may not be pulling 10k all the time, but it's typically an 18+ foot enclosed trailer, which IMO pulls harder than a 10k lb car trailer.

There are also times when I'm hooking up to 15k or more. Otherwise, I would really consider another half ton.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
I have a 6.0 in my truck. It gets around 13 combined and towing it gets like 10 with my open trailer and my mustang on it. Ive pulled a 25 foot inclosed trailer a few times and it was fine around tow but when you get up to 60-70 mph its horrible. The truck has a hard time. And this is coming from a guy that go rid of a diesel for this truck. If you plan on only pulling a open trailer you will be fine, I cant even feel it back there when I pull it. Also, if you go the LSA or LS9 blower option Id imagine you would have horrible IAT issues and will probably hurt that motor pulling long distances. Just my two cents.

That is my concern as well. The zr1 lid cools a lot better, but I'm really thinking I'm going to have to pull timing way back to keep it from knocking going up hills.

ktraver97ss

Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
It's the gearing. My parents 2003 Yukon 2500 with LQ4/80E and 4.10's gets about 10. Sometimes 9, sometimes 11, but its always right around there. It's the nature of the beat with them. Unless you have a 3.23 and do a lot of highway, I can't see one getting into the mid teens regularly. Pure highway, I can get about 13 out of it if I stay around 60, anything more than that it's turning too high of an RPM to have any sort of decent economy.

Mine has 3.73s and its no highway, just to and from work and it barely gets up to operating temps. lol

ktraver97ss

Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
It varys a lot for me. But I would say that I tow 10k maybe twice a week on average. Usually less than 30 miles each. Keep in mind that I am pulling through hills on just about every one of these trips.

I may not be pulling 10k all the time, but it's typically an 18+ foot enclosed trailer, which IMO pulls harder than a 10k lb car trailer.

There are also times when I'm hooking up to 15k or more. Otherwise, I would really consider another half ton.

Yeah just get a diesel in that case. If I towed like that I wouldnt think twice. Id go for a 2006.5 gmc 2500hd filthymax, but thats just me. Headstudded f-250 6.0L can be had for cheaper.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Mine has 3.73s and its no highway, just too and from work and it barely gets up to operating temps. lol

Oh yeah. When my mom drives the Yukon it gets like 8 because all it does is go 1-2 miles at a time to the library and grocery store :rofl:

Shit I'm down to 14 in the diesel because I've got a 4.2 mile work commute now, thing never has a chance to warm up. I hate it, it's terrible for the truck but I'm not going to buy another car just to drive 8 miles a day. Once the weather turns I'll ride my Harley weather permitting until I sell it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info