is there a car you could buy right now, drive for 2 years & not have it depreciate?

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
G8's seem to hold value good.

good point [MENTION=16]PANDA[/MENTION]

i bet you could do a new SS with all incentives & rebates and shit and not lose your ass

G8's took another dive last year, they were holding strong for a while. GXP's are a safe bet too I'd assume.

Boss 302, E36 M3 are two I've seen really holding strong lately. E36 M cars are actually starting to appreciate now for good examples.

And, as stupid as it sounds. Clean square body GM trucks, and even the later 96-99 trucks in good shape. You won't make money, but you're not going to loose. Nice 98 suburbans are selling above what GMT800 trucks with equivalent mileage and condition by this point.

I paid $4,200 for my 87 Suburban and sold it north of $7,000 two years later. I'm sure I could do it again with an OBS Ford or GM truck.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
There's no such thing unless you steal a car from someone on a private sale which is difficult to do when everyone is an expert on vehicle values. if you buy from a dealer you are paying for taxes which kills it. You will lose that right off the top.

There are plenty of higher end cars you can go out and buy and lose almost nothing. Most of them are going to be exotics or higher end cars.

Most older Vipers, for instance, have reached the bottom of their depreciation curve. You could theoretically buy one, drive it for a year and not lose any money other than insurance and maybe tax which on a private party sale could be as low as $1500.

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
There are plenty of higher end cars you can go out and buy and lose almost nothing. Most of them are going to be exotics or higher end cars.

Most older Vipers, for instance, have reached the bottom of their depreciation curve. You could theoretically buy one, drive it for a year and not lose any money other than insurance and maybe tax which on a private party sale could be as low as $1500.

Curious to know what those exotics are ?

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Two that come to mind are certain Vipers and R8s.

A lot of these cars have a depreciation floor that they hit before they start appreciating again. For instance, you're never going to see a $10,000 beater Diablo. So by buying these cars near the lower end of their depreciation curve you might not be able to drive them for free but you can certainly drive them for very little money.

It's just a matter of having enough cash that you can have it tied up in an expensive car. OR really good credit.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
The Tahoe I just picked up now I'm in $5,000. I guarantee I can sell it for $5,000 next year if I keep it under 150,000 miles. As has been said, once something hits its bottom, the numbers get really easy to work with. I know what they sell for with a given mileage and condition and can pretty easily expect a certain price. I've owned 58 cars that were purchased cash, private party, and I can count four I've lost money on. One I owned for four years, wrecked, never fixed, etc... one blew a trans, etc... those were drivers.

Of the vehicles I've purchased new I haven't even done that bad...

2011 Sierra- 38,000 sticker, paid 28,500 with incentives and rebates. Put 108,000 miles on in three years. Got 22,000 on trade.

2014 Mustang GT- Paid $30,400 after rebates. Sold for 28,xxx to [MENTION=22]syP[/MENTION]. Owned a year ish, decided it wasn't for me.

2015 Golf TDI- Paid $20,300, trade in $18,500 with 23,000 miles on F350.

2013 F350- still own it but paid under $50,000 for a truck that stickerd mid 70's. was a year old with 12,000 miles. Still in pretty good shape money wise with 65,000 miles on it.

Obviously I loose money to interest and tax (trade in's help a bit on that) but I really haven't done that badly all in all...

Vogz

Moist Ass Bitch
Jul 4, 2006
Batavia, IL
The 996 Turbo & 997.1 Turbo market is real strong. Has been for several years now. They went down for a couple of months, but they are going up again. I don't see the 997.1 going below $65K ever. lol That will probably help the 996 stay up in price due to filling the cheaper end of the market at $40-$50k. Plus there are plenty of examples of low mileage ones out there.

This. Bought my 996 Turbo 18 months ago. Put 6k miles on it and it's worth more now than I bought it for.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

:werd:

totally possible.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info