Ford Dealer refusing to give out pn#

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
Yes. its a subscrption. Also, fleets can order that subscription as well and look up parts themselves. something like 4 grand a year last time i looked? But its only for Vin they have purchased. Not any vin out there.
$4,000 a year to a dealer is nothing in the grand scheme of things. Sounds like your parent company is trying to offset the cost onto the dealers instead of taking responsibility themselves for the costs.Thats for a fleet price. I am sure my subscription is bundled into the entire package. But that is a cost that the dealer has to pay for. So mark up on parts and service is needed to pay for that.

You refused to get that part and wanted the number to go somewhere else? He's not making any money then. If you were a common customer and did do more business with them, then i am sure they would help you out.
I had other parts on order from that dealer that are being picked up today. I've also spent about $1,000 there in the past few months. Sorry, must've not met their financial obligation for being given a simple part #He's not obligated to give you parts numbers at all.
i dont know the specific person you delt with, maybe its dealership policy,
or maybe you were being rude about it. I dont know nor give a fuck.
Dont like it, go somewhere else...like you did.

Most OEM's set the price accross the country for parts pricing.
We at International has list, retail(walkin), major fleet, and national fleet.
If i give everyone national fleet like i do to UPS then UPS is going to be pissed that they're not getting a deal, then we lose more money pissing off customers. I give guys a break, especially when we are making a ton on a part. Idustry standard is 30 percent to pay the bills, pay the guys, and make some sort of profit.
If this DPFE sensor is costing you $100, then someone needs to be doing their job for renegotiating pricing considering people are making money selling these at $36 with prime shipping (which means amazon costs are already included)Again, There's a chain in the system. Chinese manufactorer makes part for 20 dollars, sells for 30 to ford,
ford sells to dealer for 50, dealer sells to you for 70. everyone of those guys needs to make profit.

And its not the dealerships problem to get manufacturing down. they HAVE to buy from ford. We got in trouble for having dorman headlights in stock from international cause they're half the price of internationals. they were going to mess with our discounts and some other shit. When you're a dealer, you have to listen to god (ie Ford, International)

By no means are they losing any businees for one do it yourselfer. Many MANY people still go to the dealer for simple things like oil changes. I think moreso the stigma these days is that cars are too complicated for Joe Shmoe shops to do anything other than brakes.
And i tend to agree. At least in my experience.
It's called the domino effect. Sure it's just one do-it-yourselfer today, until word spreads, people start influencing non-diy's decisions based on such an adversarial relationship with parts and service. That's where it hits you the most. Any business owner knows this.

And now you're losing money as a company
Huh? He said 15%-25% You just said typical markup is 30%, did I miss something?I shouldve stated that it needs to be a minimum of 30 percent. Anything lower and you're not making any money "for the most part"

I sometimes look our parts up online and they're posted for cheaper than my cost. Shit happens sometimes
So because someone in your company isn't doing their job negotiating pricing and someone else is undercutting you on the free market, it's the reasonable thing to offset this cost of laziness onto the consumer? A responsible company would see this problem and take steps towards figuring out how their competitors are doing it and adapt these changes as well, instead of hoarding proprietary data to a vehicle I own.
See other responses

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
as an OEM distributor, i only buy parts from the OEM supplier. (not a car industry)

i rarely go outside my supplier for items i sell. why, because people are comming to me for OEM parts, not aftermarket stuff they could have gotten had they done the footwork themselves.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
You had them look up the part, they gave you a price, and you decided not to buy from them. Why are you mad? Because they didn't make it easy for you to take their info and find a cheaper place to purchase it? Is that what I should get from this?

I remember when independent shops started to charge for diagnosing an issue with a car. People were pissed. Because they couldn't get a free diagnosis so they could run to buy the parts cheap online and swap the parts on their own. This seems to be the same on a smaller level.

I mean I get it, I like free info like everyone else. But I can't really blame companies for protecting intellectual property. That being said, there is a lot of free info on the internet. Maybe you will just have to find a better way to 'skin the cat'.

SMKE EM

Banned
Nov 9, 2016
NWI
You had them look up the part, they gave you a price, and you decided not to buy from them. Why are you mad? Because they didn't make it easy for you to take their info and find a cheaper place to purchase it? Is that what I should get from this?

I remember when independent shops started to charge for diagnosing an issue with a car. People were pissed. Because they couldn't get a free diagnosis so they could run to buy the parts cheap online and swap the parts on their own. This seems to be the same on a smaller level.

I mean I get it, I like free info like everyone else. But I can't really blame companies for protecting intellectual property. That being said, there is a lot of free info on the internet. Maybe you will just have to find a better way to 'skin the cat'.

I didn't realize a part # for something I already own and paid for is protecting intellectual property. That's strong arming a consumer to buy from you in my book.

SMKE EM

Banned
Nov 9, 2016
NWI
Amazon is trying to kill everyone as well. They are already hurting a lot of brink and mortar parts stores. They are just building steam over there.

Welcome to the free market. If others don't want to go out of business they better start to learn how to compete. Dealers here should take note.

if you want cheap car parts, go to rockauto!
I love rock auto for certain things, the only issues I ever have with them is shipping time is at times a deal breaker
In fact I found the DPFE sensor on Rock Auto with the full part #

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I didn't realize a part # for something I already own and paid for is protecting intellectual property. That's strong arming a consumer to buy from you in my book.

If you own it why do you need them to give you the part number to go buy it elsewhere? :s00ls:

Welcome to the free market. If others don't want to go out of business they better start to learn how to compete. Dealers here should take note.

Agreed. If I was a dealer I would be upset that places like RockAuto offer OE parts that cheap. Because Ford is letting it happen.

In fact I found the DPFE sensor on Rock Auto with the full part #

So you found another way to skin that cat. Good to hear. :bigthumb:

10thSVT_03

DRRRT PROSPECT
Feb 28, 2009
I’ve bought maintenance parts from Lisle Honda for my wife’s vehicle. I simply ask can you match the online prices or come close so I can buy locally but still save a few bucks? They 99.9% will say yes and they have a sale. Being honest and upfront goes a long way. Never hurts to just ask.

SMKE EM

Banned
Nov 9, 2016
NWI
I’ve bought maintenance parts from Lisle Honda for my wife’s vehicle. I simply ask can you match the online prices or come close so I can buy locally but still save a few bucks? They 99.9% will say yes and they have a sale. Being honest and upfront goes a long way. Never hurts to just ask.

Good luck getting Ford to do that. I've tried

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV

This. I do this every time. I don't think I've ever gotten a no. GM, Subaru, Suzuki and BMW.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info