Ford Dealer refusing to give out pn#

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
If dealers didn't RAPE people so much more people might do business with them for service and parts.

I agree. I am sure dealers get better pricing than most on OEM stuff so if they were not so greedy they could probably get the sale. And the customer has the parts the same day. Also based on my thread if Ford stepped up their customer service they would probably gain some sales

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I get dealers not wanting to give away part numbers so you can shop online and get the part elsewhere.

And in Panda's dad situation, part of it is due to the fact that the good deals, like the 33% off shop discount, were good deals. Until dealerships went online and sell parts for the same price to the general public. Sometimes even cheaper. I know of dealers that now sell cost plus a small margin versus retail with a discount. So now shops feel slighted because anyone can get the same part online for the same price or less.

I buy from a couple dealers at 5% over dealer cost. And I find prices cheaper online still. Shipping included. Because dealerships get back-end advantages on their parts sales and so on.

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
Dealerships need to pay access to lookup parts for your own manufacturer? Yes. its a subscrption. Also,
fleets can order that subscription as well and look up parts themselves.
something like 4 grand a year last time i looked? But its only for Vin they have purchased. Not any vin out there.

I'm sorry this is not directed at you, but as a consumer, that's not my problem. I purchased your brand vehicle, and need you to support it when it breaks down. That's just bad business structure IMHO. As a dealer you should get free access to these things through your parent company to help customers. Either that or offer up a parts manual at a reasonable cost for purchase.Again. He did offer you the solution. to buy it from the dealer. You refused to get that part and wanted the number to go somewhere else? He's not making any money then. If you were a common customer and did do more business with them, then i am sure they would help you out.

If the parts markup wasn't ridiculous I wouldn't mind buying from a dealer, but after I hung up I did some research and found the entire part # online. $36 for the motorcraft DPFE sensor, the dealer wanted over $120. Tasca parts another Ford dealer online isn't even that bad of markup, jeez.Most OEM's set the price accross the country for parts pricing.
We at International has list, retail(walkin), major fleet, and national fleet.
If i give everyone national fleet like i do to UPS then UPS is going to be pissed that they're not getting a deal, then we lose more money pissing off customers. I give guys a break, especially when we are making a ton on a part. Idustry standard is 30 percent to pay the bills, pay the guys, and make some sort of profit.

Food for though, you want to increase your bottom line, try using a fair markup on parts, instead of 300% markup and a shit part warranty (30 days - 1 year)

Honestly, if this is the route American car companies are going to go, I'll be buying Honda/Toyota next just to avoid the problems with parts. I can't see this adversarial strategy with people who fix their own stuff working in the long run.

I got it man, thanks though

When you buy a product from a company, they should assist you in any way with that product, including looking up part numbers for it, and letting them decide whether they should get that part through you or through another source.

That's called a free-market.

It just goes to show you their parts are so highly overpriced that they won't even bother giving you the number to look it up elsewhere, since they know that's what you're going to do. That is a terrible way of treating a customer, and a good way to lose business. Maybe instead of refusing to give out part numbers, they should think about lowering prices of their parts so they remain competitive with other sources. That would give the customer no reason to look elsewhere for it, and you would retain their business in the future.By no means are they losing any businees for one do it yourselfer. Many MANY people still go to the dealer for simple things like oil changes. I think moreso the stigma these days is that cars are too complicated for Joe Shmoe shops to do anything other than brakes.
And i tend to agree. At least in my experience.

Exactly, a fair markup would be like 15-25% or so, since you wouldn't have to waste time looking elsewhere.
And now you're losing money as a company

I would've been willing to pay $60-$70 for that part at the dealer just to support a local business, but I have a problem with price gouging
I sometimes look our parts up online and they're posted for cheaper than my cost. Shit happens sometimes

SMKE EM

Banned
Nov 9, 2016
NWI
That's fine then, your company wants to continue to play games, then the market will decide.

If Ford wants to force an outdated business model on the general public, I'll be sure to steer people away from them. Even if it's a small 20k car purchase a family member was considering.

That $70 you lost in parts now just cost your company thousands the way I see it. Not only through a vehicle purchase but for future parts and service.

SMKE EM

Banned
Nov 9, 2016
NWI
Yes. its a subscrption. Also, fleets can order that subscription as well and look up parts themselves. something like 4 grand a year last time i looked? But its only for Vin they have purchased. Not any vin out there.
$4,000 a year to a dealer is nothing in the grand scheme of things. Sounds like your parent company is trying to offset the cost onto the dealers instead of taking responsibility themselves for the costs.

You refused to get that part and wanted the number to go somewhere else? He's not making any money then. If you were a common customer and did do more business with them, then i am sure they would help you out.
I had other parts on order from that dealer that are being picked up today. I've also spent about $1,000 there in the past few months. Sorry, must've not met their financial obligation for being given a simple part #

Most OEM's set the price accross the country for parts pricing.
We at International has list, retail(walkin), major fleet, and national fleet.
If i give everyone national fleet like i do to UPS then UPS is going to be pissed that they're not getting a deal, then we lose more money pissing off customers. I give guys a break, especially when we are making a ton on a part. Idustry standard is 30 percent to pay the bills, pay the guys, and make some sort of profit.
If this DPFE sensor is costing you $100, then someone needs to be doing their job for renegotiating pricing considering people are making money selling these at $36 with prime shipping (which means amazon costs are already included)

By no means are they losing any businees for one do it yourselfer. Many MANY people still go to the dealer for simple things like oil changes. I think moreso the stigma these days is that cars are too complicated for Joe Shmoe shops to do anything other than brakes.
And i tend to agree. At least in my experience.
It's called the domino effect. Sure it's just one do-it-yourselfer today, until word spreads, people start influencing non-diy's decisions based on such an adversarial relationship with parts and service. That's where it hits you the most. Any business owner knows this.

And now you're losing money as a company
Huh? He said 15%-25% You just said typical markup is 30%, did I miss something?

I sometimes look our parts up online and they're posted for cheaper than my cost. Shit happens sometimes
So because someone in your company isn't doing their job negotiating pricing and someone else is undercutting you on the free market, it's the reasonable thing to offset this cost of laziness onto the consumer? A responsible company would see this problem and take steps towards figuring out how their competitors are doing it and adapt these changes as well, instead of hoarding proprietary data to a vehicle I own.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info