Dear Mook You rock. Love everyone at TCG

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
dont really care for new members.. they show up, make a freshman thread, state what rides they have, but they'll post up pictures later and thats all we hear of them.

core members or bust... no need for any new weirdos and arms crossed hard asses

blck10th

TCG Elite Member
Jan 11, 2007
And at the end of the day, I'm still fucked. If i let racism and "free" speech go, the site is racist. If I edit posts and shut down all the open conversation, I'm overly censoring.

He was being a total fuck in the thread that was serious. 90% of the time joking is more than acceptable. But he really griped my ass with ruining the thread with some retarded bullshit

stock-t-bird

THORNTON QUARRY
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2008
Thornton Quarry
I give credit where credit due to you Mook/Jack/Admins/Sponsors/Mods etc....for doing your best while holding full-time jobs/family etc..

Nice work,we appreciate it,sometimes we don't show it or express it....but is the most active/knowledgeable car forum in Chicagoland

thanks again guys/people
Lets not turn it into Y/B site

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
As much as I like this place i can't help but say that I get where he is coming from. There is this underlying disdain for black people in some of the replies that goes unchecked.

And at the end of the day, I'm still fucked. If i let racism and "free" speech go, the site is racist. If I edit posts and shut down all the open conversation, I'm overly censoring.
[MENTION=1774]willizm[/MENTION] - Will, in your estimation, is it fair statement that a potion of folks who believe that TCG is "so racist" when your own assessment is that there are "some" replies that have content you'd classify as racist?

I think Mook, has from day one, stated how he would handle these kinds of speech issues and that's always been that he'd err to the side of allowing people to speak their thoughts without censoring them. If nothing else, I give the guy credit where credit is due - he's been consistent in this decision.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
I think it was a critical component to TCG becoming what it was at its peak though. It let decent trolling happen and the resulting activity occur - with little mod activity. It let discussion at all levels happen with little fear of action being taken against the poster. I think it helped give the good people of TCG the ability to speak up here, even if some found it mildly offensive. It's called freedom of speech.

Doesn't mean TCG agrees with or condones it, but rather that we believe in people having their own free ability to think and speak. (and deal with the consequences if something radical happened)

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
It's easy to moderate blatant racist remarks. It's harder and I don't believe our place to moderate someone's general racial prejudice, which IMO gets thrown around too casually for a public forum. But that's at a member's discretion. Even through I won't moderate remarks about "animals" and such, I will be judging quietly.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Ill just leave it at this everyone should take posts with a grain of salt and not let it get to them. The lack of "most" censorship makes this easily the best automotive forum ive ever come across.

Please for the love of god dont change TCG.

The lack of censorship does make this a great forum but the lack of it inhibits it being greater, and as Mook pointed out also inhibits it's growth. Many many people are turned off by many of the things we love about this place.

I'm just rambling here because ultimately I'm torn. I don't want change because I'm afraid of ruining it but I do want lots of change because I like growth, betterment, and frankly I despise racism.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
The lack of censorship does make this a great forum but the lack of it inhibits it being greater, and as Mook pointed out also inhibits it's growth. Many many people are turned off by many of the things we love about this place.

I'm just rambling here because ultimately I'm torn. I don't want change because I'm afraid of ruining it but I do want lots of change because I like growth, betterment, and frankly I despise racism.

I think *most* here would say the same, I know I do. Then again, I grew up long ago enough to observe and understand racism that's obvious and blatant.

But some of the complaints of "racism" I've fielded in my days were weak examples at best. More people being offended by an off-color joke than an actual example of racism meant minimize or cut anyone down. Toughest time (for me) is when the people complaining in some cases weren't even the subject of the conversation, rather just merely observing it occur.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota

Blatant racism fine ban hammer but otherwise censoring people will just turn this place into a ghost town like grandprixforums.net which is run by a bunch of hurt feelings patrol moderators.

Let me be blunt some snowflakes cant handle it. Such is life, this place has an ignore button built in dont like what someone says click the ignore or close the thread.

Whining and bitching about other people needing to stop this or that makes people look like snowflakes that cant handle something being said they dont like or agree with. Since when does the next guy have to agree with me is anyone forcing them? Do i have to agree with others? NO.

I get it moderating is a fine line but I believe this place is run damn good and i hope it doesnt change.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info