anyone else get dropped from state farm yet?

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I know numerous people that its happened to, my state farm agent at the time told me this is their "new thing"

whole lot of hearsay here, and in this thread.

and my 2 cents is, numerous people with SF ins haven't been dropped after a ticket or accident who i know.

so must depend on some other factors as well.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
I haven't had an issue with State Farm. Had them since I was about 16. Several cars throughout the years obviously, but currently 1 vehicle (had a 2nd one but sold it), my house, life insurance for my wife and i, and a separate life insurance policy on my daughter.

Within the last few years, I've had a claim on my wife's previous vehicle (under 0 comp), my vehicle (accident/ no fault), and a windshield (0 comp). Nothing raised and no drop. The homeowners insurance is a little higher than other places I've checked, but the discount on my vehicles outweighed the cheaper rate elsewhere.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
I've got 3 cars, home, term life, and my wife's engagement ring all insured through State Farm.....haven't heard anything, but I've never made a claim on any of my policies.

I usually get one speeding ticket a year, with one being one of those nasty Class B Misdemeanor 25+ ones a couple years ago, and they've never even raised my premiums.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
allstate scares me for car coverage.

id much rather have geico than them actually.

Curious as to why?

My dad's friend was our AmFam agent forever. He recently retired, which is why I even thought of switching. I called him before switching to Allstate and he didn't have anything negative to say based on his experience. The one thing he always told me is to file claims through him vs. the corporate since he could help "coach" us in what to say and what not to.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Challenger, truck, bike, ATV, trailer, and home owner's with SF. USAA continually kept raising my rates despite being with them for 7-ish years and having one accident (2012, the Mustang). I can't remember the last ticket I got and my MVR is squeaky clean; it's probably been 4 or 5 years since my last.

Went to SF and got waaaay better coverage (25/50/25 and 1000/1000 at USAA to 100/300/100 and 0/500 at SF) on EVERYTHING and I am still paying less than I did with USAA with JUST the Raptor and home owner's.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Curious as to why?

My dad's friend was our AmFam agent forever. He recently retired, which is why I even thought of switching. I called him before switching to Allstate and he didn't have anything negative to say based on his experience. The one thing he always told me is to file claims through him vs. the corporate since he could help "coach" us in what to say and what not to.

ask guys in bodyshops, up front, or in the shop... [MENTION=98]smug[/MENTION] comes to mind.

when i was in the bodyshop i was at, they didn't use decent parts, fought us over proper repair techniques, wouldn't pay decent labor rates, and would fight us over EVERYTHING.

they left one of their customers in a rental car for ~2-3 months when i was there, instead of quickly totalling out the car because a part had become obsolete (saab when saab went under and parts weren't readily available) they wound up paying a higher rental tab than the dude's car was worth. and the customer had to eat some of it too because he hit his rental max.

the owner of the shop i was at wound up purchasing the totalled car from the customer to try to make the customer happy.

the issue here too though, is rental tab's "count against you" for collisions on your "final tab" so not only did this guy have a large repair bill submitted to insurance, it had what the car was worth in rental fees tacked on to it as well- which in turn raises your rates in the future as well, because the claim shows up as being a 12,000 claim instead of a $6,000 one.

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
Agreed. I have so much with them. 2 sleds, house, truck, 2 BMWs, the Subaru, my moms car.... I think a smallish life insurance policy... :rofl:

It's insane. I pay them a LOT of money. I shopped around once last year and almost moved... but then didn't because I like the service I get from Mark Mitchell in Woodstock. :dunno:

I've made two windshield claims and a hail damage claim on my house in the last two years. No issues.

Did you do the hail work? The claim I had on my old house they approved the roof and siding for a couple of dents you could only see with a 12" wide huge fucking flashlight. I never lost sleep over leaving those dents. God intended them to be there so I just took the pay out :io:

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
ask guys in bodyshops, up front, or in the shop... [MENTION=98]smug[/MENTION] comes to mind.

when i was in the bodyshop i was at, they didn't use decent parts, fought us over proper repair techniques, wouldn't pay decent labor rates, and would fight us over EVERYTHING.

they left one of their customers in a rental car for ~2-3 months when i was there, instead of totalling out the car because a part had become obsolete (saab when saab went under and parts weren't readily available) they wound up paying a higher rental tab than the dude's car was worth.

the owner of the shop i was at wound up purchasing the totalled car from the customer to try to make the customer happy.

the issue here too though, is rental tab's "count against you" for collisions on your "final tab" so not only did this guy have a large repair bill submitted to insurance, it had what the car was worth in rental fees tacked on to it as well- which in turn raises your rates in the future as well, because the claim shows up as being a 12,000 claim instead of a $6,000 one.

We’re all car guys here so we are much more knowledgeable, so is that more just the general public not knowing much about cars? For example, I would fight for decent parts and have in the past with previous claims with AmFam whereas my non car guy friends wouldn’t know the difference between OEM and reman’d parts. I guess this would apply to other policies too lol

Also having a good body shop helps too that is willing to be an advocate for you against the body shop. At the end of the day, they want their work to look good too.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
We’re all car guys here so we are much more knowledgeable, so is that more just the general public not knowing much about cars? For example, I would fight for decent parts and have in the past with previous claims with AmFam whereas my non car guy friends wouldn’t know the difference between OEM and reman’d parts. I guess this would apply to other policies too lol

Also having a good body shop helps too that is willing to be an advocate for you against the body shop. At the end of the day, they want their work to look good too.

you nailed it on the head with "good shop"

it's not just the difference between oem and reman'd... allstate would go for b or c quality used parts in some cases... parts that would show up and the shop would have to put time into to even get up to decent quality- "fix rust"/dents/etc.

and past that, it's not just knowing to fight for decent parts, most "car guys" wouldn't even know when a part should be replaced, vs when it should be fixed except in extreme cases on both sides. allstate would fix a totally fucked quarter panel before they would replace it. bondobondobondobondo

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire

they left one of their customers in a rental car for ~2-3 months when i was there, instead of quickly totalling out the car because a part had become obsolete (saab when saab went under and parts weren't readily available) they wound up paying a higher rental tab than the dude's car was worth. and the customer had to eat some of it too because he hit his rental max.

That story sounds like it would make a case against "bad faith." It's hard to prove an insurance company acted in bad faith but sounds like that would have made a decent case.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I've had State Farm for nearly 30 years. However, admittedly, I (we), have slowly migrated away from them because they are getting too costly. The only two I have left with them (SF) is the Cadillac and the GTO. I suppose you can throw in our house too...

However over those ~30 years, I've had many "traffic violations" (hey, we were all young and stupid, right?), been in several accidents that I have made claims with them through, have made a roof claim on our house a couple years back and I have yet to see anything. Not to say that I won't get anything. But the point being, I don't get what all the grief with them is. I will be calling them today/tomorrow to put full coverage back on the Caddy so I can drive it, so I will ask then.

I've been a bad boy, I've had them pay out cash, and they don't bother me. I will say, their customer service has been top notch. But that's probably what you're paying for with that additional premium. We haven't had to make any claims on GEICO yet (where the other vehicles are), so I can't give first hand experience there.

Similar to our employer sourced health insurance, we were covered by BCBS. Two years ago when their premium spiked, I just couldn't handle that, and we opted for Aetna instead. Since then, I realized why I was paying the higher premium... claims coverage and customer service. Aetna has been absolutely fucking horrible and the one reason I haven't had my left ACL surgery yet. It's torn... Yet their solution was for me to rehab it... Uhh... OK! If it's TORN, what will rehabbing it do, other than make the other ligaments around it stronger! When I had to do my right ACL when I was covered by BCBS, no issues whatsoever. And it's not just me, two other co-workers who also went to Aetna at the same time have had absolutely horrible experience with them getting things covered.

Not trying to get off-topic, but think of State Farm as BCBS and the others as the Aetna.

Euro

GM or Nothing
Oct 22, 2007
Roselle
Real Name
Matt
Damn. I've been with State Farm since I was 16, and went off on to my own policy when my wife and I moved in to our first place. They have been decent to me, I don't feel my rates for either vehicle or renters is out of line. Of course, I haven't had any claims since turning 16...nor has my wife since we got our own policy.

The only thing that sucks is that they demand automatic withdrawals...and when you sometimes have to juggle $$ month to month, it doesn't always go through :rofl: surprised they haven't dropped me because of that.

I've looked in to other companies, but no policy has been worth it enough to go through the hassle of switching.

I got my last 2 car loans through them as well, and they have been good.
[MENTION=945]daturbosix[/MENTION] who was your agent?

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Fuck SF. Had them when we first bought our house along with coverage on 3 vehicles. 34 months in to home ownership we had a hail storm. Had older aluminum siding, completely trashed but no roof damage. Filed a claim, they paid 12k for new siding on house, shed and garage. Dropped us 2 months for making a claim within the first 3 years. Before we were dropped I offered to do the siding for half the cost, and they said it had to be done by a contractor, lol.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info