85 Fiero Build

Oreif

Crazy Little Child
Oct 17, 2008
Schaumburg
Looks like a nice project.

If you are looking to get it on the road quickly, the 3.4L is the easiest swap to do. I have built two 3.4L engines for Fiero's. Both were around 230HP. One was carb'd and the other was fuel injected. I had the carb'd one in my car for a while then upgraded to a V-8. If you want to build up the 2.8L or a 3.4L I can help you with a list of the parts I used. I can also give you some tips on what areas need to be improved on the engines for better performance. (the parts used on the 3.4L also fit the 2.8L and will get you around 215hp on a 2.8L)

As for other help, I have a factory service manual and many years of working on Fiero's. Also currently the Activity Director for the local Fiero club (Northern Illinois Fiero Enthusiasts) so locating parts or help is easy. If you have questions or need a hand, I sent you a PM with my email address. You can see pics of my car here: http://www.fquick.com/garages/Pontiac/Fiero/1986/29429

Here is a pic of the 3.4L with a carb looked like:
47kr6.jpg

It was a 3.4L with a Holley 390cfm 4-bbl carb. The car would run about 14 flat in the 1/4 mile with the auto trans. Sold the engine to a guy in Indiana he ran around 13.7 with a manual and later hit 12.8 with a shot of NOS.

I was really considering the 3.4 but when the 2.8 came up with all of the other things I have to repair to get it road worthy it was the only option that was available. I didn't know that you were so involved in the local group, but I'll definitely be checking that out more in the Spring. Thank you for the interest in the project, you'll be hearing from me for sure.

Oreif

Crazy Little Child
Oct 17, 2008
Schaumburg
I was really considering the 3.4 but when the 2.8 came up with all of the other things I have to repair to get it road worthy it was the only option that was available. I didn't know that you were so involved in the local group, but I'll definitely be checking that out more in the Spring. Thank you for the interest in the project, you'll be hearing from me for sure.

Here is a link for the clubs website: NIFE Fiero Focus Online
In the winter we hold tech meetings once a month. Click on the Events tab to see the schedule.

Nothing really too much to update. Double checked the motor and didn't see anything that stood out as a problem. Just finished up putting all new gaskets throughout. I have to put on the wiring harness and then I can start reassembling it back with the transmission.

Also broke my oil pan so I had to get a new one:

Just picked up stuff to delete the cat. It's completely filled with dirt and leaves from sitting for so long. After that's all done I still have to paint the cradle, test the fuel pump, and fix the cradle mounting bolts that I had to screw up in order to get it out in the first place. Not too much work to make it at least running. I have to fix a brake hard-line that rusted and broke off, and check all of the calipers to see if they are working before I can actually drive it.

On a hilarious note, I don't know why I didn't look at the oil filter more closely before. When I bought the car I was told that he hadn't started it up in 6/7 years. I'm not sure if he didn't change the filter in those years or if it had been sitting for about 13 when I finally picked it up :rofl:

Update time:

Finally got a lot of stuff done today so I feel pretty accomplished.

Rattled can'd the gas tank. Needed to be cleaned up a little bit so I got the surface rust off of it. I still have to get it in the car and actually test the fuel pump but I'm glad I was able to get it done because I've been waiting for so long.

Put in the new fuel filter. Was told it was gonna be pretty difficult with how long it sat and it took maybe 10 minutes.

This caliper has been a thorn in my side ever since I got the car. Finally got it off today with some nice persuasion.

Last thing that I did today was delete the cat. I figured that I should replace it but I really didn't think it was too bad from the outside. The whole inside was covered in rusty mud. If I didn't delete that I probably would have had worse problems.

Well I'm reaching the end of this whole thing so I'm really praying that it'll fire up because I don't honestly know if the car even works. I just ordered the bushings and cradle nuts that I needed to finally put the whole thing in the car. All that's left is putting the transmission and engine back in the car, and seeing if it even runs. If it does, then I have some more work to get done like new axles and making sure all of the brakes work. I've put a lot of what little money I have into this thing, so I'm praying that it actually runs otherwise I might have to pass it onto someone else.

Thanks for the offer on the fuel pump. If it doesn't work I'll be hitting you up for sure!

Just a little update this weekend. Been working on another car project so whenever I get a chance I like to do a little bit of work.

Painted the engine cradle today. Makes me feel a little better not looking at all of the surface rust on it.

Figured I would use some extra paint and gloss up the frame rails a little bit. Did a little rust management by sanding down and painting over it. Looks better. Still need some problem areas fixed though.

Finally got a bunch of the parts that I've been needing to finish up putting it all back together. Solid aluminum bushings for the cradle. Gives a much stronger rear end and it was the only option I had to putting it back in the car too.

I give it maybe a week or two and hopefully it should at least be back in the car ready to hook back up.

Got a little more done this weekend. Got the solid cradle bushings in.

Burning the old rubber bushings out.

The front bushings pushed in. Got a smooth metal surface with the included sanding wheel before installing them.

Got the rear bushings in and now it's all ready to go.

Getting really close now. Next up is sometime later this week is putting the new floating cradle nuts into the frame where I cut the last ones out. After that is mating the engine and transmission together and putting them on the cradle. After that it seems like pretty smooth sailing.

Trying to get the cradle fully assembled and put back in the car by the end of the week. I'm finishing school this week, so it gives me a lot of time to get everything going and ready for the Fiero trip I'm going to go on in June. This weekend I'm trying to get majority of the work done because of the free time I've had available.

Today I put the wiring harness on, attached the flywheel, and got some more bolts installed on the cradle. Getting all of the vacuum lines hooked up correctly was probably the most difficult part today.

My garage after day 1:

The engine after day 1:

I lost 3 of the pressure plate bolts so I had to stop early tonight. After I pick them up tomorrow I have to return some rented tools and buy a NAPA camber kit for the rear struts.

Thanks for the comments! [MENTION=4687]Donnie[/MENTION] if you were going to buy one and convert it over to a 3800/ecotec I'd highly recommend the 3800 from what I've seen. It's a lot easier and has a lot of kinks worked out of the process. Either way, there's never a thing as too many Fieros!

DAY 2:
Got a lot accomplished today. Got the cradle all set up with the engine and trans. Unfortunately it's going to have to wait until Thursday so I can study for my finals.

Trans and engine mated together

Final product where it sits right now.

Still need to put the fuel tank back in, and finish routing the coolant lines. Either way it's hard to believe how far I've gotten.

Xfirez51

Fast BoyZ of IllinoiZ
Jan 1, 2013
Northwest Chicagoland
Well done. Always thought the later model Fiero was another car unfulfilled by GM. I really like the look of the later GTs although the 80's GM interior motif really sucked. For some reason they got into this utilitarian looking aircrafty module crap for an instrument panel with make believe Allen socket screw heads. Roger Smith ruined that company IMO.

Oh so damn close.

Started this morning at 7:30 and did as much as I could with the rain.

Got the gas tank installed, still don't know if the pump is fully operational.

Installed the new floating cradle nuts which make it so much easier to install the cradle.

Finally removed the rust that i could get to and painted over the stuff that wasn't too bad.

Pretty much how it's sitting right now.

Felt a little anxious this week before I could install the engine so I removed the seats. The sunroof has been leaking so I wanted to see the damage on the floor and pull up the carpet. Only got the seats removed so far.

Probably my favorite picture that I've taken so far.

Tomorrow hopefully is the big day. Charging the battery over night. Still need to prime the oil, install the plug wires, and reinstall the fuel lines. After that hopefully I still have enough in the battery to actually turn it over :dunno: It's been an exciting and tiring day but being so close is killing me right now

Been slow the past few days. All of the coils and module failed testing so I have a brand new system sitting here now haha. Instead of buying a reman distributor, I did all of the work myself which only took about an hour.

Cool right? Tried starting it and still not turning over. I sprayed some starter fluid and it turned over for about 1 second then cut off. I've always assumed that the fuel pump was bad, but after all of this I really hoped it wasn't.

Went to Harbor Freight and bought the fuel pressure gauge kit, and after turning the ignition and hard-wiring it. No pressure.

Took the gas tank again out tonight and ordered all new lines and fuel pump accessories. Hopefully this will fix my problem, but who knows with a 27 year old car.

That's it for now. If the fuel pump fixes the problem, then I still have the brakes to fix and figure out what's wrong with the hydraulic clutch slave.

Jfrost

TCG Elite Member
Dec 19, 2011
Brookfield
um did you check the relay and the oil pressure safety switch? Just asking figuratively.

Agreed. The oil pressure gauge and fuel pump share common circuitry in Fiero's. Check the relays, they are in the engine compartment, drivers side, on the bulkhead. There was an issue on my first Fiero just like that, PO had to hot wire the circuit to activate the fuel pump.

Checked the fuse and it was fine. Checked the relays and they are doing okay. I even ran it through the ALDL "g" with 12v which ignores the relays and just powers the fuel pump and it wouldn't even give me a click. The wire set that comes from the connector and oil sensor was giving off 12v so I checked that too. It only leaves the fuel pump in my best guess. But I appreciate the help

Thread Info