2018 Ford Mustang Refresh, Revealed

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaD747Gb_wE&feature=youtu.be

Ford’s legendary 5.0-liter V8 engine has been thoroughly reworked. It is more powerful and revs higher than any Mustang GT before. This power increase was achieved with the first application for Mustang of Ford’s new dual-fuel, high-pressure direct injection and low-pressure port fuel injection on a V8 engine – delivering robust low-end torque, high-rpm power, and improved fuel efficiency.

The manual transmission for both engine options has been upgraded for optimal torque. For the V8, the manual transmission has been totally redesigned to include a twin-disc clutch and dual-mass flywheel to increase torque capability and deliver more efficient clutch modulation.

A new 10-speed automatic transmission, available with both EcoBoost and V8 engines, is the best automatic Mustang has ever offered. With a wide-ratio span and optimized gear spacing, this all-new gearbox helps deliver higher average power for acceleration – improving responsiveness and performance.

attachment.php

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Assuming this has already been posted but repost anyway.

The most significant upgrade for the 2018 Mustang is MagneRide magnetorheological adaptive dampers, available on both the EcoBoost and GT Performance Packs. Previously, the only Mustang to offer magnetically-controlled active dampers was the top-of-the-line Shelby GT350. Given the wonders that magnetic dampers work in other high-performance settings (we're looking at you, Corvette and Camaro), they should bring big handling improvements to the 2018 Mustang. Starting in 2018, the Performance Package will be available on automatic and/or convertible Mustangs, a change from the previous manual-and-hardtop-only requirements.

As predicted, the six-cylinder Mustang is officially dead for 2018. Both the 2.3-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder and 5.0-liter V8 get increases in horsepower and torque, though Ford hasn't yet specified power output for the updated 'Stang.

For 2018, the Mustang GT's 5.0-liter V8 gets both both port and direct fuel injection, similar to the fuel system found in the 3.5-liter V6 in the new F-150 Raptor. This dual-injection system allows Ford to increase the V8's compression ratio from 11.0:1 to 12.0:1, which should aid power and fuel efficiency.

As you'd expect, you can pair either engine with a six-speed manual transmission (which gets a twin-disc clutch and a new dual-mass flywheel on V8 models), but a new option for 2018 is Ford's 10-speed automatic. Co-developed with GM, this transmission promises much quicker shifting, and can handle more torque than the outgoing six-speed auto. We were very impressed with this gearbox in the new F-150 Raptor and Chevrolet Camaro ZL1, so we expect it will do nicely in the Mustang.

The GT Performance Package will also get Michelin's new Pilot Sport 4S tires, while the EcoBoost Performance Package sticks with Pirelli P Zeroes.

Also new for 2018 Mustang GTs is an optional active exhaust that lets drivers increase or decrease engine volume to their heart's content. The Shelby GT350 already offers a similar switchable exhaust, as does the Camaro SS.

The most obvious changes to the Mustang are in the looks department. Ford lowered the hood by around 20mm, creating an edgier, more aggressive front fascia design. Around back, there's a new lower rear diffuser, along with a new decklid wing on Performance Package models.

The interior is mostly the same as before, save for a new, 12-inch digital gauge cluster replacing the traditional analog speedometer and tachometer. We got a brief preview of the system at Ford's Dearborn, Mich. headquarters. It's a lot like Audi's all-digital instrument panel, with numerous configurable modes and display patterns—and a drag racing mode that displays an NHRA-style starting light "christmas tree" for practicing your launches.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
In some of the other colors, the front end doesn't look as bad. But there are a few things that just don't sit well. Most didn't like the 2015-17 front and rear end either. Their redesigns have not knocked the looks out of the park. But they seem to grow on people and sales are ok on them.

I will say the instrument cluster looks pretty sweet.

They also listened to KJ and wrapped the console and added knee padding. That is a nice touch.

I third that

Then the new owner ruined that car. Ugh. I have considered buying a 2011-12 GT again. Anything is possible.

No, 10-12 look way better

11-12 with the Saleen S281 grill was the best style. But I may be biased.

You guys know what's up!

I think the 13-14 with the Roush front clip is still the best looking of all... Obviously biased though.

The Roush helps the 2013-14 front end a bunch. It makes it look a lot less like a v6 model or jack-o-lantern.

YoushallgoFo

TCG Elite Member
Dec 26, 2008
Looks like one of those weird saleen/roush mustang bumpers in the front. Just looks like it belongs on another car. The rear and the interior is cool, not liking the "baby's first touch screen" graphics though with the bright colors. Doesn't fit the car at all, is that an apple thing?

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Ford might have just included all the things I like better about the Camaro in the more livable Mustang. Magnetic dampers, multi-mode exhaust, more than 6 gears. AND, Performance Package cars have the Michelin PSS successor; Sport 4S or whatever. :bigthumb:

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
[MENTION=12]Bru[/MENTION] is the 10-speed the only auto, or is the 2.3EB motor getting the same 6-speed as before?

From my understanding, the 10-speed will be the sole auto transmission offering on the EB and GT motors. I could see them continuing the six-speed auto as a fleet-only option, but none of that has been discussed yet. Just speculation.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info