Addict
Feb 27, 2012
ORD
IMAG0254.jpg

GG Allin

Addict
Feb 27, 2012
ORD
Two issues, the "mounting tab" for the steering rack on the back side interferes with the oil pan. That will need to come down a bit. And the trans mount does not line up for shit. The bracket needs to be re-drilled. I need to look further in to that before I re-drill it though, it's supposed to work the way it is. Other than that, there seems to be good clearance everywhere.

IMAG0306.jpg

IMAG0305.jpg

IMAG0304.jpg

Chrisco

is a work in progress
Jan 26, 2008
Downers Grove, IL.
Two issues, the "mounting tab" for the steering rack on the back side interferes with the oil pan. That will need to come down a bit. And the trans mount does not line up for shit. The bracket needs to be re-drilled. I need to look further in to that before I re-drill it though, it's supposed to work the way it is. Other than that, there seems to be good clearance everywhere.

It could just be the angle of the picture throwing me off, but it appears as though there is more clearance on the driver's side than on the passenger's side; as if the engine is either rotated off center or positioned off center closer to the pass side.

Could this have anything to do with the transmission mount not lining up?

Also note that there are several variations of the T56. I'm not certain, but there's a possibility that different bellhousings and tailshafts may be of varying lengths, which would obviously require an assortment of mounts.

GG Allin

Addict
Feb 27, 2012
ORD
It could just be the angle of the picture throwing me off, but it appears as though there is more clearance on the driver's side than on the passenger's side; as if the engine is either rotated off center or positioned off center closer to the pass side.

Could this have anything to do with the transmission mount not lining up?

Also note that there are several variations of the T56. I'm not certain, but there's a possibility that different bellhousings and tailshafts may be of varying lengths, which would obviously require an assortment of mounts.

Well, this kit was bought by someone local (we'll call him Rao) who had used it in a 95 M3 with an LS2. He used an F-Body bell housing, I'm using one from a GTO. He used an F-Body oil pan, mine is from a CTSv. Those are the only differences. It's designed to have the motor sit centered. A lot of other kits offset the engine to the right. This kit does not. That's where the need to run Hydroboost comes in. If it were to sit centered with the stock booster, there would be a clearance issue with the valve cover. It does look like the motor is rotated slightly counter clockwise. It's supposed to be. When I look at old build pics that Rao had posted, it appears the same. From what I've read, the only difference between a GTO T-56 and one from an F-Body is the position of the shifter and the bell housing. The shifter position was corrected with F-Body parts. I'd like to see a good comparison between to two bell housings with measurements.

Chrisco

is a work in progress
Jan 26, 2008
Downers Grove, IL.
What is the alignment issue with the transmission mount? Too far forward? Back? Or is it just off to one side or the other?

If it is in the correct location front to back, but not aligned side to side, it might have something to do with how the engine is rotated. I have no idea why you'd want to have it like that anyway, as that's going to change your driveline angles in a negative way.

GG Allin

Addict
Feb 27, 2012
ORD
It seems like the tail of the trans needs to come back and to the right about an inch. There is wiggle room in the motor mounts but not enough. As far as the rotation goes, it's there for a reason. Not sure what that reason is, steering shaft possibly? I'm not the only guy that has used this kit. Around five years ago there were several builds on Bimmerforums using the same kit.

This where it came from originally.

Index

Chrisco

is a work in progress
Jan 26, 2008
Downers Grove, IL.
:/ I don't know about you, but I'd much rather have to modify the steering linkage with an extra joint or two than impose an extra several degrees of offset driveline angles. Remember that the further you get from the center point of the engine/engine mounts the greater the angle off center will be exagerated. It's pretty important to keep the tailshaft of the transmission in parallel with the rear differential.

I'd find out exactly why the mounts position the engine the way they do, and do a whole lot of driveline measurements before being satisfied with the way it currently sits. Just because the kit was made that way and other people have used it, doesn't make it right.

GG Allin

Addict
Feb 27, 2012
ORD
Motor is in and bolted down completely. All it took was a little modifying of the left engine bracket. The front suspension and steering are back in too. Car sits nice and I can't get over how low slung the engine looks. Could be partly due to the fact that there is no intake on it right now. I ordered new tie rods today from Pelican too. Little by little it's coming together.

Thread Info