1/2 mile guess vs actual

He's not kidding about the clutch protection. That is true of our computers. I actually think the front splitter had the most influence. Ford didn't put that on our cars to go faster. They put it on there to be safer at high speeds. It adds downforce to the front of the car. I decided not to put mine on so I wouldn't hit curbs. I considered putting it on for yesterday but thought it would slow me down!

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
I don't think that is true at all. I know it does in 1/4 mile racing. I would imagine it would so the same in a 1/2 mile. I see guys running street tires and being inconsistent with their launch. They spin and the ET comes up bu the MPH goes up. It has to do with wheel speed and more engine RPM through the 1/4. It is weird but happens. There is a difference in slight spinning, getting the wheel speed up and getting into the power band sooner versus frying the tires killing ET and MPH. Bogging can kill ET and MPH.

Last year my car was exactly like at the drag strip. First off rolling the car out and hitting it down track shortens the track. This reduces potential for a higher mph. Leaving hard with limiting the wheel spin let the car accelerate quicker making the most of the 1/2 mile.

Heat is a killer to making power. More so to a forced induction car than a n/a set up. The stock blower produces a lot of heat. That is why those Killer Chillers are big in the 03/04 Cobra crowd. It works great at reducing the inlet temps.

All cars have that shit now a days in one form or another. All part of the torque management systems. Easy to get around when you have a tuner that knows what he is doing. Took Lund a while to get it all figured out. I think he has a handle on it now.

I think Dan is making excuses with "Too much traction". He doesn't have the seat time to know how to launch the car with out traction control, while launching as hard as he car with out spinning like crazy. Which is not easy on a drag radial. Give him some time and he will be complaining about not enough traction and too much powa! haha

So the guys with even less seat time (less driving time entirely) pulling 151 on stock tire... Had nothing to do with the clutch protection? When I can't get my car to leave without bog with LC set to 4300???

I wasnt able to make it because my built gears looked like this:
10484163_10100450163956564_9085636467524397242_o.jpg

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
launch control = bogging. Bogging = ship ET & MPH

Turn off the launch control. Maybe even traction control and advance track. Then you have less nannies pulling power. Really put that claim of too much traction to a test.

With seat time you should be able to figure out launch rpm, throttle management, enough slipping clutch and so on to get the car to leave hard with out frying the tire. You have no passes at the drag strip yet and obviously this was your first 1/2 mile event with no track prep. You are not going to have a handle on getting the car to leave hard yet. It will come. A tune to help dial back or turn off the nannies will be a big help as well. Come next 1/2 mile event you will be better prepared. Expecting a flawless performance the first time out is not very realistic.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

Turn off the launch control. Maybe even traction control and advance track. Then you have less nannies pulling power. Really put that claim of too much traction to a test.

With seat time you should be able to figure out launch rpm, throttle management, enough slipping clutch and so on to get the car to leave hard with out frying the tire. You have no passes at the drag strip yet and obviously this was your first 1/2 mile event with no track prep. You are not going to have a handle on getting the car to leave hard yet. It will come. A tune to help dial back or turn off the nannies will be a big help as well. Come next 1/2 mile event you will be better prepared. Expecting a flawless performance the first time out is not very realistic.

I don't think you are getting anything he said quite frankly.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Dan, Different cars with different drivers. There are still variables there. Those guys also only ran 147 on other runs. Not far off of your runs. Weather could have a huge impact as well. As the DA goes away it is gonna hurt performance.

Heck, the first two times out with the CJ intake set up my GT went like 11.7-11.8. I learned what the car wanted by trying different things. Nothing changed as the DA and car was the same. I ended up getting a 11.2 out of the car. Just by changing launch technique and shift points. Heck different shift points were where half the gains came from. Keeping the car in gear longer in 1st and slightly more in 2nd were beneficial as most of the car's acceleration takes place in the lower gears.

Again, seat time is your friend. I have no doubt your car is fine. Just need more testing and seat time to get the car to perform as well as it can.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL

Clutch protection strategy is not managed by any component of the driver-controlled nannies. Not trac-control, not advance trac, nothing. Only way to impact CPS is with a tune.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Yes, I know that. It is gonna be there on every gear change.

Launch control almost always kills a lot of power. To where it bogs. It isn't as good of a system like the GTR or Porsche has. Guys have been able to launch better once they figure out who the car likes to be launched. Where the computer pulls less power and the car goes quicker to the 60'. Like smoother is better. Heck most passes I see where guys use the launch control means 2.0 60' times. Far from stellar.

Heck, you can shift a few hundred rpm before or after an ideal rpm and loose a lot of mph. There is no way he knows what that rpm is yet.

All I am saying is you can't judge the car by a couple of passes his first time out. Especially on a non prepped surface.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Clutch protection strategy is not managed by any component of the driver-controlled nannies. Not trac-control, not advance trac, nothing. Only way to impact CPS is with a tune.

I know this. But one nanny > 3 nannies. Especially launch control that bogs the car bad. Most people I have talked to who have tunes and disabled clutch protection do not use traction control. They are able to get a better ET out of it with out it. When on a prepped track and on a good tire at least.

Or fuck it, I will join 10sec and say your car must suck. End of story. lol

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
From the 2014 Ford Service Manual:

Powertrain Control Module - Vehicle Speed Output (PCM-VSO)
The PCM-VSO speed signal subsystem generates vehicle speed information for distribution to modules and subsystems that require vehicle speed data. This subsystem senses the transmission output shaft speed with a sensor. The data is processed by the PCM and distributed as a message on the vehicle communication network.

The key features of the PCM-VSO system are to:

infer vehicle movement from a speed sensor.
convert transmission output shaft rotational information to vehicle speed information.
compensate for tire size and axle ratio with a programmed calibration variable.
distribute vehicle speed information as a multiplexed message.

The signal from a non-contact shaft sensor, such as an output shaft speed (OSS) sensor or vehicle speed sensor (VSS), mounted on the transmission is sensed directly by the PCM. The PCM converts the OSS or VSS information to 8,000 pulses per mile, based on a tire and axle ratio conversion factor. This conversion factor is programmed into the PCM at the time the vehicle is assembled and can be reprogrammed in the field for changes in the tire size and axle ratio. The PCM transmits the computed vehicle speed and distance traveled information to all vehicle speed signal users on the vehicle.

"Vehicle Communication Network" - WTF did I get myself into :rofl:

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
I know this. But one nanny > 3 nannies. Especially launch control that bogs the car bad. Most people I have talked to who have tunes and disabled clutch protection do not use traction control. They are able to get a better ET out of it with out it. When on a prepped track and on a good tire at least.

Or fuck it, I will join 10sec and say your car must suck. End of story. lol

:fy::fy::fy:

At first I was forealiously, then I was trolling @Eagle because he's :cool:

shockerracing.com

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jun 9, 2006
Dundee, IL
FWIW x2, I dont think there is anything wrong with Dans car. The other two 500s, aside from their sole (to my knowledge, [MENTION=669]shockerracing.com[/MENTION] & [MENTION=5219]ZXMustang[/MENTION], correct me on that) 151 passes, both were in the 140s all weekend. I think it really just came down to whos car was getting hotter. Dans intake temps were through the roof at certain points and all us blower or former blower guys know how hard that can hit a car.

He ran the blue 500 on the highway and they were dead nuts even to the point of almost plowing thru the back of me :rofl:

I chalk up any disappointing runs to the heat and humidity.

Yeah, Mr. Cobra hit a 151 early on Sunday in his first run and then was 146/147's all day.

c5z06speedjon

Addict
Jan 21, 2008
I was hoping for 163, I hit a best of 157. I also attribute this to the heat, but overall I was very happy how the car ran and pulled. It was the first time I've ever ran it out of first gear to fifth since the A&A kit was installed. This was an absolute blast, hoping to hit at least 160 in October (still want that 163 number)

Here are a few of my runs;

My last/best run;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5ADxZtar3Q

My first run;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNq9ZCQONoA

My second run;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekFOGnNVse0

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Kay Jay said:
did you do any performance mods since last year?

I think that 2.5 mph could be attributed to the weather .

No additional mods besides lca relocation brackets. My shifter felt a bit loose this year too, i should prolly look into that

I was proud of my driving skillz on 2-3 of my runs though. I was very close to guys with tunes

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
First run was a 108. Because it was my first time down the track and I was not sure if I passed the cones or not and I didn't want to be that guy then went off the end is the track. Then I rolled through them. Had I stayed in it I probably would have had a 111.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info