🔧 BUILD ZXMustang's 2022 Mustang GT

General Information

Yea it’s true. I ended up going 10.40 on the final setup of the ZL1 and was quite pissed. I was looking at another $15k in cam and fuel mods to keep going and I have just plainly lost interest. It’s infuriating with how much I spent on that car to go low 10s when coyotes are doing 9s for a lot less. And a few weeks ago I had a buddy get one and it was tuned. His was waaaaaay different than the stock one I drove before.

On top of that the ZL1 with the Maggie was quite valuable as well. So I was able to minimize loses on it and absolutely steal a 22. It was used. 1500 miles. I paid cash for it. Not going to finance in this market.

Already have it on full E tune with my vengeance tuner. JLT coming and the DRs are already on, on a new set of f14s. My opinion. Still stands about QC. It’s not great. I’ll be taking it in for some fit and finish issues but all in all for what I paid and what it will cost to run circles around the ZL1, it’s still a steal. Flame me all you want, I have the cash and the want to play and I’m going to. And if tomorrow I buy a plaid or a fucking dump truck, that’s my business.

IMG_5129.jpeg

IMG_5124.jpeg

IMG_5166.jpeg

IMG_5012.jpeg

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
Yea it’s true. I ended up going 10.40 on the final setup of the ZL1 and was quite pissed. I was looking at another $15k in cam and fuel mods to keep going and I have just plainly lost interest. It’s infuriating with how much I spent on that car to go low 10s when coyotes are doing 9s for a lot less. And a few weeks ago I had a buddy get one and it was tuned. His was waaaaaay different than the stock one I drove before.

On top of that the ZL1 with the Maggie was quite valuable as well. So I was able to minimize loses on it and absolutely steal a 22. It was used. 1500 miles. I paid cash for it. Not going to finance in this market.

Already have it on full E tune with my vengeance tuner. JLT coming and the DRs are already on, on a new set of f14s. My opinion. Still stands about QC. It’s not great. I’ll be taking it in for some fit and finish issues but all in all for what I paid and what it will cost to run circles around the ZL1, it’s still a steal. Flame me all you want, I have the cash and the want to play and I’m going to. And if tomorrow I buy a plaid or a fucking dump truck, that’s my business.

View attachment 156790

View attachment 156791

View attachment 156792

View attachment 156793

So were the 10.40 times off from where the car should have been with the mods you had? Either you should have been exactly where you were at, the car was slow/not running right because there was an issue, or you just wanted to get something else.

It is your business, but I think people give you a hard time because it seems like you are trying to fulfill a need that you simply can’t fulfill no matter what car you buy. I’m super surprised you got rid of the ZL1.

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go

View attachment 156790

View attachment 156791

View attachment 156792

View attachment 156793

Did you have someone run a ford oasis to see if the car had any issues as why it was traded in with low miles?

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
So were the 10.40 times off from where the car should have been with the mods you had? Either you should have been exactly where you were at, the car was slow/not running right because there was an issue, or you just wanted to get something else.

It is your business, but I think people give you a hard time because it seems like you are trying to fulfill a need that you simply can’t fulfill no matter what car you buy. I’m super surprised you got rid of the ZL1.
The 10.40 seems pretty on par with the mods, a mustang would run similar times on 93 octane with similar mods, I went 10.6 on 93 I think UWISHU1 UWISHU1 ran similar times on 93, trying to run into the 9’s on anything other than race gas or e85 is just pushing your luck

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
Did you have someone run a ford oasis to see if the car had any issues as why it was traded in with low miles?
It was a dealer buy out. Original dealer was in the heart of pick up country in central FL. Car sat for a few months. Then was taken as a demo, then they bought it into used car inventory. Then my selling dealer got it from them. I saw both the carfox and autocheck and the GM if the dealer knew the OG dealer and bascially bought it for me. I was working with them on two other cars, both sold out from under me the night before I came in. So he found this one a few days later, and called me asked if I wanted it. They certified it and it was a done deal.

As for What Jim said, Im not sure what was going on with the car. Logs were perfect. But it was down at least 8mph from where it should have been. It was very strange. Nothing looked off from anything we looked into, it just didnt go faster. We pushed it all the way up to e50 and went up and down on timing and it didnt like anything.
And for perspective, there are stock blower ZL1's with a few more mods going 9's. And I wasnt into spending another $15k for a cam and headers and meth and full fuel system and so on. The car should have been making around 750 to the tire and should have went 9's. Everything was right. Logs, traction and so on. Hell after the TCM we went from 1.67 short time to 1.51, Yet went 10.6 @132 all over again. Similar DA and same track...
He put a ton of timing into it and we got to 10.4, but MPH was the same and that was all it had. I was super let down, and the prospect of more money chasing that 9 was sounding more and more irritating considering what I've seen the coyote's and hellcats do for pennies on the dollar.

And what pushed it home was a friend I have got a new coyote and did the E tune. Fucking car was a rocket ship. I took a ride and was like yeah this feels like a goddamn stock ZL1. Talk about mad. So I put the word out and found a buyer. Got a buy number locked in on my car so I could trade it in and get the tax credit, then they immediately sold it to my buyer. I did this way back with my vortech C6 I had. So I had the car sold before I got to the ford dealer,
They were on board. Spoked to the buyer of my car and he wired the money to them for it the day I traded it in. I was out the door for $6k less than the mustang's sticker. 401a car with active exhaust, 10r80 and 3.15 gears. It was tuned on full E the next day. And yes the tune completely changed the car like the one I just rode in. Like 10/10 night and day. Tuner says they should be 500 to the tire with CAI, E and headers. Hell stock ZL1's make 540 to 560 to the tire and thats before heat soak kicks in.

Dont get me wrong, I did LOVE the ZL1. Still do. But as with the hellcat, it was still worth a lot to resell being shock colored, and having a maggie. And I took my equity out before the market took my choice away from me. Do I regret it, somewhat. The luster of having a top tier car like the ZL1 is gone. Now nobody takes a second look at the mustang. And every fucking kid in a civic or sentra wants a piece on the street. And I wasnt wild about the color at first. but its growing on me.

Big positives are with my bonus and the equity I had in the ZL1, I own this car out right. Cut a big monthly debt off our expenses. Boost setups are cheap(er) than the ZL1. Fuel system is already DI/port, so thats covered. And frankly it rides nicer and the seats are more comfy. And my head doesnt touch the headliner anymore, I have helmet room now. I was ghetto riding the ZL1 kicked back in my chair to get my helmet on. Sure make fun of me for getting another car, but Im thankful I can. And this one probably wont be around a long time either. There are too many other toys I want to play with, so who knows whats next.

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL

View attachment 156790

View attachment 156791

View attachment 156792

View attachment 156793
Already looks better than the ZL1 at least! Lol

Is that carbonized grey? Premium car? A10 I assume?

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
Already looks better than the ZL1 at least! Lol

Is that carbonized grey? Premium car? A10 I assume?
Dark Matter Grey 401a 10r80, active exhaust and 3.15s. Also has the 20" wheels, but I hate them. Always hated the silver wheels on anything dark. I got the F14s for the rear, I might get a skinny set and 19" normal set for the fronts as well to match.

My guy Branden at Vengeance/Elite tuned already been working with me on it. He did the ZL1 and is the level of tuner that other tuners ask questions to. Hes one of those top level guys.

Reactions: Jon01 and 1quick

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
Tried to do a flex tune, but its been giving problems relearning the E after a fill up. Something is new with the 22s that the 18-21 cars dont do. It relearns too fast before the change in octane gets cycled into the engine, then you have to reflash another tune to kick off another relearn. So Im on a straight E85 tune. I got e80 (tested) close.

Reactions: Jon01 and 1quick

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
Do you have pbd tune yours or Lund? Rob has tuned 3 out of my 4 coyote cars, Lund did tune my 2014 never really had an issue with either other than long waits with both
I almost went PBD but I had been working with Branden from Vengeance for weeks with my ZL1 and we had built a good rapport. He knows I know what im doing and looking at when it comes to logging and giving accurate feedback on the car and what I feel. And hes very genuine, polite and willing to help even if things arent going so well. So when I sold the Z, I asked him if they did Fords and he said yeah. So I signed up again with him and bought the credits and was getting after it.
And this car LOVES the E. Feels so much smoother on full E than on 93 pump. We are at 90% DI utilization and nothing on the port injection system. We have TONS and TONS of fuel system headroom. So I should be able to run 9-10psi and make 800+ on full E and only need headers. Maybe do one set of injectors to beef up the DI side.

Reactions: Jon01

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
Dark Matter Grey 401a 10r80, active exhaust and 3.15s. Also has the 20" wheels, but I hate them. Always hated the silver wheels on anything dark. I got the F14s for the rear, I might get a skinny set and 19" normal set for the fronts as well to match.

My guy Branden at Vengeance/Elite tuned already been working with me on it. He did the ZL1 and is the level of tuner that other tuners ask questions to. Hes one of those top level guys.
3.15 are the gears to have for boost. I don’t believe I’ve heard of your tuner in the Coyote world. That’s not to say he’s not any good, but if he can’t figure out a flex tune, I’d be looking elsewhere as I havent heard of anyone else having issues with the 22+ cars at this point in the game.
Do you have pbd tune yours or Lund? Rob has tuned 3 out of my 4 coyote cars, Lund did tune my 2014 never really had an issue with either other than long waits with both
My car is tuned with Lund. We’ll see how I like the car’s toon once the weather gets nice.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
I almost went PBD but I had been working with Branden from Vengeance for weeks with my ZL1 and we had built a good rapport. He knows I know what im doing and looking at when it comes to logging and giving accurate feedback on the car and what I feel. And hes very genuine, polite and willing to help even if things arent going so well. So when I sold the Z, I asked him if they did Fords and he said yeah. So I signed up again with him and bought the credits and was getting after it.
And this car LOVES the E. Feels so much smoother on full E than on 93 pump. We are at 90% DI utilization and nothing on the port injection system. We have TONS and TONS of fuel system headroom. So I should be able to run 9-10psi and make 800+ on full E and only need headers. Maybe do one set of injectors to beef up the DI side.
I’ve exclusively ran e85 in my f150 for 3 years only time I run 93 is going south on vacation because it gets harder to find and gas is cheaper anyway, I do have a flex tune so I don’t have to reflash, truck runs awesome on e85 and I’ve sprayed 150 shot straight e on the stock fuel system with no issues

01bluesnake

D Mark Performance
TCG Sponsor
Jul 8, 2009
Tried to do a flex tune, but its been giving problems relearning the E after a fill up. Something is new with the 22s that the 18-21 cars dont do. It relearns too fast before the change in octane gets cycled into the engine, then you have to reflash another tune to kick off another relearn. So Im on a straight E85 tune. I got e80 (tested) close.

Has nothing to do with it being a '22, all 18+ do it, its due to the fuel system being port standard injection, part DI. The fuel takes a long time to cycle through the DI side, which causes weird shit when the primary has E85 yet DI is still spraying 93oct. This is why many big tuners won't/or don't like to write flex tunes, it takes too long for them to accept the change over.

01bluesnake

D Mark Performance
TCG Sponsor
Jul 8, 2009
I’ve already got my eye on a hellion set of twins. But thanks.

Hellion is trash if going top mount, too much shit going on in the engine bay with clutter, and adding a lot of weight. They also have a weird O2 sensor setup that most tuners want re-welded for better fuel readings. Their sleeper kit isn't bad, but their standard turbos with oil catch and pump system is 90's technology. If you want an actual good turbo kit, let me know, i don't use crap parts, has better ground clearance, and cheaper once you option up a hellion sleeper kit. My base kit on E with 15 psi through an A10 was good for about 950whp, when we turned up the boost, it made 1200whp, stock motor.

20220824_181455.jpg

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
Hellion is trash if going top mount, too much shit going on in the engine bay with clutter, and adding a lot of weight. They also have a weird O2 sensor setup that most tuners want re-welded for better fuel readings. Their sleeper kit isn't bad, but their standard turbos with oil catch and pump system is 90's technology. If you want an actual good turbo kit, let me know, i don't use crap parts, has better ground clearance, and cheaper once you option up a hellion sleeper kit. My base kit on E with 15 psi through an A10 was good for about 950whp, when we turned up the boost, it made 1200whp, stock motor.

View attachment 156807

Yeah I'll have to give you a call here soon then. I'd be looking for something like this or was kicking around that new whipple kit.

As for the flex, its a pain without a real sensor obviously. We tried to make it work seamlessly, but the car would just mature the trims too fast. I would have to flash another tune to kick off the relearn after I would see the trims +15% and more. Then it would relearn after correctly, but it would take 20 friggin miles. I say its something with the 22's after my guy spoke with HPT engineers. He has access to more tables than whats in the beta releases, but they still couldnt figure out how to get it to slow learn the trims after a refuel. Nobody is making these flex tunes any better. Its just guys not knowing their E content is showing say e50 but the LTFTs are adding 15% or more to pump it up to what's really in there. The HPT guys said it might be something different in the OS of the 22 cars. They were saying Ford has like 15000 tables they can change, but HPT only has like 1500 available in the software itself.

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
Zxmustang why did u pay for the FORD CPO certified if you are modding it? Ford isn’t going to cover the engine or trans or diff if they blow up. They send reps sometimes to inspect the vehicles.
I didn't specifically pay for anything aside from the car. It was "certified" by the dealer before I bought it. Not sure the process, but they were telling me it was CPO. It has a longer warranty, not that Im going to use much of it...

01bluesnake

D Mark Performance
TCG Sponsor
Jul 8, 2009
Yeah I'll have to give you a call here soon then. I'd be looking for something like this or was kicking around that new whipple kit.

As for the flex, its a pain without a real sensor obviously. We tried to make it work seamlessly, but the car would just mature the trims too fast. I would have to flash another tune to kick off the relearn after I would see the trims +15% and more. Then it would relearn after correctly, but it would take 20 friggin miles. I say its something with the 22's after my guy spoke with HPT engineers. He has access to more tables than whats in the beta releases, but they still couldnt figure out how to get it to slow learn the trims after a refuel. Nobody is making these flex tunes any better. Its just guys not knowing their E content is showing say e50 but the LTFTs are adding 15% or more to pump it up to what's really in there. The HPT guys said it might be something different in the OS of the 22 cars. They were saying Ford has like 15000 tables they can change, but HPT only has like 1500 available in the software itself.

I have a used Whipple kit here too, makes about 900whp on the smaller pulley included on E85. That is my customers kit who went turbo, he wanted better power management and more power, so we have it on a boost by gear setup with the A10. Yes, Fords logic is inferred by O2 sensor and fuel trims, which is also why i absolutely do not recommend flex tunes for boosted cars. Had one customer install a catch can wrong on a blower car, he created a vacuum leak on 93oct, system put the car into an E85 timing and it ate the motor. I've been writing flex tunes on them since '18, we can do it, but the cars run like trash till all the fueling gets changed in the DI, and most of the time have bad driveability and codes pop up that have to get cleared. I got tired of explaining it to customers and the changeover sucked, so stopped writing them here. I still do them for 11-17, but only NA cars.

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
I have a used Whipple kit here too, makes about 900whp on the smaller pulley included on E85. That is my customers kit who went turbo, he wanted better power management and more power, so we have it on a boost by gear setup with the A10. Yes, Fords logic is inferred by O2 sensor and fuel trims, which is also why i absolutely do not recommend flex tunes for boosted cars. Had one customer install a catch can wrong on a blower car, he created a vacuum leak on 93oct, system put the car into an E85 timing and it ate the motor. I've been writing flex tunes on them since '18, we can do it, but the cars run like trash till all the fueling gets changed in the DI, and most of the time have bad driveability and codes pop up that have to get cleared. I got tired of explaining it to customers and the changeover sucked, so stopped writing them here. I still do them for 11-17, but only NA cars.
Yep. same here. I logged the shit out of it for a few days trying to sort out something that was usable like the GM side does it. And its shaky at best. So I said fuck it and had him just to a straight E tune. Car is much happier now.

And sure Beast, im sure its built into the cost of the new car, but it was such a good deal I didnt feel like I was getting taken. I was winning more than enough on my trade side to make up for it, plus I paid no taxes due to the tax credit. As I said earlier, this was such a good deal it was like hell I'll do it and see what its like to go fast in. Unfortunately for my car buying/selling habits, normal mustangs are not like hellcats and ZL1s they arent commanding big money after the fact. So I might be stuck with it for a while, and who knows I might really like it. Aside from the color growing on me, its already a much better driving car on the road. The ZL1 was so sharp and unforgiving over bumps and crappy roads. The interior was super small and those recaros are a killer for your hips/lower back. Plus more headroom and I dont need to tip my head down under the brow of the car to be able to see stop lights anymore...lol

Thread Info