Yaj yak is goin' green. Battery powered vehicles ftmfw. #Longthread

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I like the look of the Ranger better and they have a pretty cool cold weather package with a sealed cab and heater. Can Am may have the same thing I am just unaware of it. Also the 4WD system is better on the Polaris machines. That is changing though since Can Am released a full locker front diff.

The Pioneer is definitely a family 4 seater meaning the back seats are more geared towards kids. Who do you plan to put in the back seat?

dude you see the price on the rangers with cabs/heat?

:eek3:

ill be buying a used 4 door jk rubicon long before i spring for that :rofl: can am same way- nielsen has a cab ranger right now- thing is nicer inside than most 90's pickup trucks.

what makes you say the 4wd is better? because the can am doesn't have a "real" locker up front? or something else?

i don't really see many situations needing a true locking front around here in addition to the locking center/rear... but maybe?

back seat- other adults to rip to our boat/local bars/restaurants by our house.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
also i think both the HD10 and ranger crews can look tough-

especially the new ranger front end:

MainImage

hd10 max xt

5b4359ba4b62e5509a757591.jpg

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
dude you see the price on the rangers with cabs/heat?

:eek3:

ill be buying a used 4 door jk rubicon long before i spring for that :rofl: can am same way- nielsen has a cab ranger right now- thing is nicer inside than most 90's pickup trucks.

what makes you say the 4wd is better? because the can am doesn't have a "real" locker up front? or something else?

i don't really see many situations needing a true locking front around here in addition to the locking center/rear... but maybe?

back seat- other adults to rip to our boat/local bars/restaurants by our house.

The Polaris 4WD seems to be pretty much bullet proof. I hear there have been a lot of complaints with the viscolock on UTV's. It all boils down to what you really want to do. If you plan to ride to the dock and bars and work around the house I'm sure the Can Am is more than capable. The Honda doesn't sound practical for 4 full sized adults.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
i want a general that holds 6 adults witha dump bed with a 900 for 14k.

:rofl:

:rofl: Yeah, UTV prices are getting pretty out of hand but the same could be said for ATV prices too. I have been looking at 500 class ATVs which are anywhere from 5-8K and saw Can Am offers a 650. Aaaannnnnndddd the price jumps to 10k.

FWIW, I see Pioneers super cheap. Like in the 13K range.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
The Polaris 4WD seems to be pretty much bullet proof. I hear there have been a lot of complaints with the viscolock on UTV's. It all boils down to what you really want to do. If you plan to ride to the dock and bars and work around the house I'm sure the Can Am is more than capable. The Honda doesn't sound practical for 4 full sized adults.

Agreed. I wouldn't go rock crawling with the visco lok, but it does make for a nice higher speed all wheel drive system. To me it comes down to if you want to heavy duty swamp it or do serious rock crawling then get a polaris. If you don't want to do that then either machine in fine. If you want high speed performance and stability, go can am

Fwiw I have never had a situation out here where I wish I had a polaris front locker. A lot of difficult situations can be overcome with the right tires, tire pressure, or suspension set up.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
Agreed. I wouldn't go rock crawling with the visco lok, but it does make for a nice higher speed all wheel drive system. To me it comes down to if you want to heavy duty swamp it or do serious rock crawling then get a polaris. If you don't want to do that then either machine in fine. If you want high speed performance and stability, go can am

Fwiw I have never had a situation out here where I wish I had a polaris front locker. A lot of difficult situations can be overcome with the right tires, tire pressure, or suspension set up.

I take my ATV through some pretty gnarly mud and can tell you I would fair a lot better with a locking dif. That being said, I don't know I would do that same with a SxS. Where do you ride?

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
I take my ATV through some pretty gnarly mud and can tell you I would fair a lot better with a locking dif. That being said, I don't know I would do that same with a SxS. Where do you ride?

I would prefer a locking front diff if I was going through heavy mud. I am out in New Mexico, so a lot of my riding is desert trails and mountain rocky trails.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
how does the can am work then?

Basically a front LSD where if one tire starts spinning, the diff sends power to the other tire. It works decently for ATV's but terrible on heavier UTV's and the clutches wear out extremely quick. Polaris has a locker in the front and the system only sends power to the front wheels when the rear slips. They seem to be the best in the industry. I prefer Honda and Yamaha that have a locking front diff with a button.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
well and now reading this, they almost sound more similar nowadays than they were.

Can-Am unveiled their new Smart-Lok differential a few days ago. It's meant to give you better traction control while also making the vehicle easier to control. That should mean better cornering, and better control of your vehicle in general across a variety of terrain. But what's going on here and what makes it better than their previous differential?

The primary difference between the Smart-Lok differential and Can-Am's previous differential, the Visco-Lok differential, is the way in which it engages. With the Visco-Lok differential, the wheel has to slip for the differential lock to engage. The spinning axle engages a hydraulic pump in the differential which, in turn, engages the clutch pack and locks the differential. The slipping wheel must make several rotations for the differential to lock. This can take several seconds depending on your speed.

With Can-Am's new Smart-Lok differential, the clutch pack is engaged by an electronic actuator. That means it can engage instantly regardless of speed. It knows when to engage based on a set of sensors throughout the machine as well as the selected ride setting. It knows if you're cornering hard when you start losing traction so it will only partially engage to keep you from losing control—cornering is a no-go with a fully locked front diff. If you have it set to ROCK mode, it should engage fully and instantaneously with only minor slips at low speed. There's also a toggle to engage the diff lock regardless of the terrain. Basically it knows when you a little slippage is good and when it's not.

With these features it should give you better traction and better control. Quicker engagement and smarter engagement should make your ride a lot easier. It's similar to what you see in modern AWD automobiles today.

It's interesting to see Can-Am and Polaris thinking on the same wavelength for their 2018 machines. In case you forgot, Polaris said they were done with the horsepower game and were focusing on a smarter machine with their 2018 RZR Turbo Dynamix (can we please all say "Dyna-mix" instead of "Dy-nam-ix"? "Dyna-mix" sounds way cooler). Dynamix brings a smarter shock to the table by taking hundreds of readings a second and adjusting shock stiffness on the fly.

And now Can-Am has a true 4WD limited slip differential like Polaris. Will the extra nuance of terrain settings make it stand above the Polaris front diff? I sure hope so. The more these guys force each other to make big moves the better.

Either way both Smart-Lok and Dynamix are really good ideas and will hopefully make riding better no matter which side of the competition you land on.

We'll see how these two different approaches to building a "smarter" machine pan out when we finally get behind the wheel soon. Depending on your chosen poison, you'll just want to make sure not break a shock or crack a diff. Replacement parts are going to get even more expensiv

Thread Info