Gaming Official Xbox Thread

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
The issue I have and have had since the last gen launch of consoles are all the lofty claims they make about frame rates and resolutions. I said it years ago and it held true, and it will still be true going forward. There is no secret sauce or magic dust that console makers or devs creating games for consoles have over what you get on PC. They have to play by the same rules in terms of what performance they can get out of what hardware they have. Consoles have it bad because once they are out, thats as good as it gets. And thats a benefit of PC. Your system can evolve with game developement and technology. But claiming 4k60 and 8k120 and all their insane statements, I know they are never going to hit those resolutions/frame rates. Not at any level of quality you would get with a well thought out PC build. Shit I have a laptop now with a 10th gen 6/12 i7 and a full fat 2070 Super. Granted it was $2300...

that’s simply false. Xbox one X plays the majority of games at 4k. this console has 4x the cpu and 2x the gpu. It will play virtually everything at 4k 60fps or better.
The One X held true to all promises.

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
that’s simply false. Xbox one X plays the majority of games at 4k. this console had 4x the cpu and 2x the gpu. It will play virtually everything at 4k 60fps or better.
The One X held true to all promises.

Not at all. Dynamic resolution was taking the resolution of the game all over the board. In Forza on PC you could disable dynamic quality and resolution all together. On xbox you cant. Your system might be outputting a 4k signal, but it was down scaling the quality and resolution all the time. This was their version of "4k" gaming. 1800p was about the sweetspot for the one x.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
Not at all. Dynamic resolution was taking the resolution of the game all over the board. In Forza on PC you could disable dynamic quality and resolution all together. On xbox you cant. Your system might be outputting a 4k signal, but it was down scaling the quality and resolution all the time. This was their version of "4k" gaming. 1800p was about the sweetspot for the one x.

forza games have locked resolution on console. They’ve never had dynamic resolution. Where are you reading this?

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
Is the series x going to be backward compatible with xbox one games on day 1 natively or does MS need to make some sort of compatibility release patch game by game? I haven't had an xbox since having a 360.
All Xbox one games will be backwards compat and a large amount of 360 games.
Many old games will even get enhancements.

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
forza games have locked resolution on console. They’ve never had dynamic resolution. Where are you reading this?

This was old news. FH4 on Xbox one X was 4k30 or 1080p60. Not 4k60. Same with many others. And if they were 4k60, they dynamically lowered the resolution scale in realtime or lowered textures and shadows. Titan Fall 2 and a few other titles all used dynamic resolution scale. Gears 5 as well. 4k30 or 1080p60.
Edit: Gears 5 was 4k60.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
:LOL:

zqk6nw89poo51.jpg

Reactions: Turk

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
This was old news. FH4 on Xbox one X was 4k30 or 1080p60. Not 4k60. Same with many others. And if they were 4k60, they dynamically lowered the resolution scale in realtime or lowered textures and shadows. Titan Fall 2 and a few other titles all used dynamic resolution scale. Gears 5 as well. 4k30 or 1080p60.
Edit: Gears 5 was 4k60.

you said it was dynamic and would be around 1800p. Thats not the same as having two different modes...

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
you said it was dynamic and would be around 1800p. Thats not the same as having two different modes...
Youre right. Its been years since I gave a shit enough to look into it. The PC version has the Dynamic Resolution scaling, which you can disable. I could have sworn that was part of the xbox version, but either way you are not getting 4k60 locked resolution and framerate. That really was the point. Their claims of 4k60 but not being able to deliver that without major handoffs. Thats true for a mountain of xbox games. They use one form or another of dynamic shadows, textures or resolution scale aside from not being able to keep a locked 60. Or they offer you a performance mode of 1080p60. This has now been amplified by the new 8k@120 claims...lol

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
Youre right. Its been years since I gave a shit enough to look into it. The PC version has the Dynamic Resolution scaling, which you can disable. I could have sworn that was part of the xbox version, but either way you are not getting 4k60 locked resolution and framerate. That really was the point. Their claims of 4k60 but not being able to deliver that without major handoffs. Thats true for a mountain of xbox games. They use one form or another of dynamic shadows, textures or resolution scale aside from not being able to keep a locked 60. Or they offer you a performance mode of 1080p60. This has now been amplified by the new 8k@120 claims...lol
At the end of the day, it would take around 1k to build a pc equivalent to the series x. On top of that, consoles always punch above their weight because it’s a closed system that devs can develop for.

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
At the end of the day, it would take around 1k to build a pc equivalent to the series x. On top of that, consoles always punch above their weight because it’s a closed system that devs can develop for.
I can’t disagree with you on that. But once I experienced 144hz gaming and true 4k60 gaming, there was no way I was going back. But yes price to performance especially with the new consoles coming out is going to be superior. But my analogy holds true using you and your R8. You don’t need an R8 to drive around in, but you want one and are willing to pay for that extra quality and performance. Same with PC gaming.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
I can’t disagree with you on that. But once I experienced 144hz gaming and true 4k60 gaming, there was no way I was going back. But yes price to performance especially with the new consoles coming out is going to be superior. But my analogy holds true using you and your R8. You don’t need an R8 to drive around in, but you want one and are willing to pay for that extra quality and performance. Same with PC gaming.

Yup, agreed. Although I’d say a pc is more like a Ferrari that breaks frequently and never runs right!

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Yup, agreed. Although I’d say a pc is more like a Ferrari that breaks frequently and never runs right!
What?

The last 3 builds I have done (over 10 years) of my own gaming rig....zero failures

5-10 years of custom built PCs, probably about a dozen....zero failures until about year 6 when I had 1 PSU fail.

So either you are building them wrong, buying prebuilt stuff that is junk or paying someone who doesn't know what they are doing.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Consoles for me are the same way. Reliable a majority of the time. The only reason my Xbox one stopped working ONCE was because of a capacitor in the PSU brick, not even a console failure. Less then a dollar repair.

My Xbox one has been opened and upgraded to a ssd because why not. I have zero complaints on consoles and reliability either.

Feed electronics good power and keep them clean/cool and they will usually last a long ass time.

Thread Info