Why Bankruptcy Is a Forgone Conclusion for Ford Motor Company

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2010
North Aurora
It’s sad to read this.

Especially given how awesomely dependable our Fords have been. Our Marauder, SHO, two F-250’s and Expedition have been flawless minus general maintenance.

I do see some new Explorers now finally. They look great. I do recall there is/was a recall on them right from the start. It’s funny how Ford and GM decided to stop building cars. But all the other manufactures continue to build and sell cars along with their SUV’s. Dumb decision on Fords part. They should at least have one or two cars in their lineup not including the Mustang. And that whole transmission issue with the Fiesta and Focus. How much does that cost Ford in the long run with warranty repairs, legal fees, settlement on top of what has been mentioned previous posts? Makes me laugh when some say blame the unions. LOLzzzz. Yeah. Let’s always blame the little guy even though there is so much more going wrong with the company.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
They stopped making cars because they didn’t sell well. They didn’t sell well because all the cars they made were outdated and shit
The fusion was particularly surprising, damn thing was made in mexico and transported to the US for dirt cheap. I feel like basic refreshes would have kept it profitable & selling even if it was mostly a fleet car.

Lots of poor decisions from the top IMO

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
The fusion was particularly surprising, damn thing was made in mexico and transported to the US for dirt cheap. I feel like basic refreshes would have kept it profitable & selling even if it was mostly a fleet car.

Lots of poor decisions from the top IMO

Agreed. The Fusion was a great car. If they would have stuck with it and continued to refine the platform, I have no doubt it could have been a player and competed with the Camry and Accord.

Reactions: FirstWorldProblems

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
I feel both ford and GM for the most part had great cars the first year they were released. But 2 problems that plague them both are not updating them until it’s way too late, and also Only selling the plebeian shit version of every car, but only having advertising for the nice looking car. People expect all the cool features and nice screens and such, but when they get to the dealership, 90% if the cars on the lot have seats made out of cactus and a 2” grayscale radio with 7” of shiny plastic bezel surrounding it and a half dozen empty switch locations with the blank plastic inserts. Why not just simplify the assembly line and sell only the nicer interior and differentiate the features using software

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Here's an actual legitmate financial viewpoint-

This article seems to be written by someone trying to "short" Ford as it lacks factual details.

Ford has been run by two poor CEO's in my opinion. Mark Fields took a good plan and vision down the drain. Hackett seems to be cost cutting the company to death as evidenced by recent product launches.

Ford has recently gotten really poor reviews on the recent launches of the Explorer and Escape pertaining to overall build quality and bottom barrell interiors. This is 100% unacceptable in today's competitive environment, particulatly amongst two vehicles that make up significant volume for Ford.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
I feel both ford and GM for the most part had great cars the first year they were released. But 2 problems that plague them both are not updating them until it’s way too late, and also Only selling the plebeian shit version of every car, but only having advertising for the nice looking car. People expect all the cool features and nice screens and such, but when they get to the dealership, 90% if the cars on the lot have seats made out of cactus and a 2” grayscale radio with 7” of shiny plastic bezel surrounding it and a half dozen empty switch locations with the blank plastic inserts. Why not just simplify the assembly line and sell only the nicer interior and differentiate the features using software

Simple-Cost. Not everyone can afford a car with all the bells and whistles.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Simple-Cost. Not everyone can afford a car with all the bells and whistles.
But it would be cheaper to make the car in maybe 2 versions and then simplify the assembly and purchasing of the vehicle. I mean do you really think a navigation radio costs $2500? How about power seats? Do they really cost $4000 more than manual seats? Legacy auto makers completely made up the ridiculous cost of higher trim levels. If they just made 1 radio they Could greatly simplify the wiring and software of the vehicle and just software restrict the higher trim level features. That way down the line let’s say you pay the car off, you can “unlock” XM, Nav, streaming, etc.... for a small fee. or you could do the same for heated seats or memory seats.

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
The company I work for just dropped Ford for our fleet vehicles mainly due to the poor reliability of the 3.5 Ecoboost in our Transits, which make up 99% of our fleet vehicles. The last year we stopped ordering Transits with the Eco and went to the 3.5 NA motor, but I guess the damage has already been done. Looks like my next pickup is gonna be a SilverAYdo.

I see the previous model all over the place, but not the new ones.
Previous model was on the road for a decade. New model been out for what, 4 months? lol

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I really think the main problem here is Ford's decision making, with the union being a smaller part of a huge issue. Most line workers make ~$20/hr or less nowadays, and ford has invested heavily in mexico where labor costs are dirt cheap. Hell for a while the starting pay was somewhere around $14/hr for their US line workers.

It boggled my mind when Ford invested over $1 billion in the plant south of Chicago, ever since then all you read about is the poor quality and the botched explorer launch. Why the f*** would you invest that much money in a plant with an expensive, poorly performing workforce in an expensive state. I think they made a major mistake there.

IDK about you guys, but I literally never see new explorers on the road
They are everywhere. My brother in law just bought one. Hoosiers don't drive them because built in Illinois. :bowrofl:

Yea, I saw 4 or 5 this morning taking the critters to school. I still don't like that front end with the LED light bar on top.

Reactions: SaturdaysGS

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I won't argue... :D

Actually, I liked the previous gen front end. But disliked the rear taillight treatment, of which I prefered the tail light treatment of the first version. If you put those two together (the front of the previous gen and the tails of the previous previous gen), it was a winner.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
I got you Phil

Wait, I missed it, how did they botch the launch on the new explorer??

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
They deserve bankruptcy. They repeated all the same mistakes from 2008 and this time there isn't anything to mortgage to save themselves. In 2008 they had let their car lineup run stagnant and were heavily invested in trucks. When the market crashed and gas prices went through the roof they had no cars to sell because their entire lineup was garbage. That looked to change in the early 201X's when they came out with the updated Fusion and the Taurus. The revamped Fusion was a solid car when it was released. But they did it all over again. They completely bailed on their cars and put everything into large vehicles.

When the big 3 say nobody wants cars what they should be saying is nobody wants shitty cars. They do the same thing with EVs. "Nobody wants EVs". Correction: Nobody wants shitty EVs. Yes cars are selling at a rate proportionally less than they once did but there is still market share to capture and they simply have no compelling product to capture it.

I wish people would understand what a big racket the GM bankruptcy was. That company was allowed to fold and a new company allowed to assume all of it's assets and intellectual property without the liabilities and it was all packaged up with a nice bow by the federal government. When it happens again, and it will, I hope they let these companies fail like they should have in 2008. Like Volvo and Jaguar, someone will buy the naming rights and continue to run the business if there is money to be made.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
They deserve bankruptcy. They repeated all the same mistakes from 2008 and this time there isn't anything to mortgage to save themselves. In 2008 they had let their car lineup run stagnant and were heavily invested in trucks. When the market crashed and gas prices went through the roof they had no cars to sell because their entire lineup was garbage. That looked to change in the early 201X's when they came out with the updated Fusion and the Taurus. The revamped Fusion was a solid car when it was released. But they did it all over again. They completely bailed on their cars and put everything into large vehicles.

When the big 3 say nobody wants cars what they should be saying is nobody wants shitty cars. They do the same thing with EVs. "Nobody wants EVs". Correction: Nobody wants shitty EVs. Yes cars are selling at a rate proportionally less than they once did but there is still market share to capture and they simply have no compelling product to capture it.

I wish people would understand what a big racket the GM bankruptcy was. That company was allowed to fold and a new company allowed to assume all of it's assets and intellectual property without the liabilities and it was all packaged up with a nice bow by the federal government. When it happens again, and it will, I hope they let these companies fail like they should have in 2008. Like Volvo and Jaguar, someone will buy the naming rights and continue to run the business if there is money to be made.

this this and this.

fuck it's mind fucking how people don't get this.

Reactions: FirstWorldProblems
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info