Who's on the hook

LomileWE-2

Regular
Apr 1, 2020
60477 Cook
Real Name
Chuckles
Recently purchased a 3VZE long block assembly from a shop in CO for my daughters 4 runner . Had a super competent independent do the install. Upon completion of install, the rear main started leaking immediately resulting in an additional 11 hours of labor to remove the trans and replace provided seal with a Fel Pro. As the installer was putting in the new seal, they noticed that the orifice where it sits was not perfectly round, citing possibly faulty machining. Motherfucker still leaks after thousands spent on this. I contacted the vendor and related all of this. They said they would speak to the installer if he wishes to call them, but they don't see how a "machining error" is possible. Even if I were to get all the money back on the long block, I'm still pissed that it leaks and probably will for the rest of the time its on the road.
Who do you think is the at fault party? Engine came from CO, install done in Mokena.
Regards,
Chuck

Turtle

Addict
Mar 21, 2011
The installer’s job was to install the engine, that’s where it ends. This specific situation seems pretty clean cut. I’ve heard of others where bolts were never fully tighten and MAYBE the installer should have double checked. But this is not the case.

It’s the between you and the vendor at this point.

That’s like bring your own parts to a shop. No warranty on anything.

LomileWE-2

Regular
Apr 1, 2020
60477 Cook
Real Name
Chuckles
Hey thanks everyone for giving input. The vendor is trying to say that the shop that did the install may have botched the rear main install. I think not. I will give them a chance to remedy it. If not, I guess I'll have to pursue a charge back, which is such bitch shit if I have to go that route.

dun4791

gypsy is a whore!
Mar 2, 2004
What ain't no country I ever heard of
They used the seal that came in the kit provided by the vendor. The shop was complaining that you could see something was off visually by the naked eye- didn't look right

then why would they put it together without questioning and verifying. So basically they admit they knew something was wrong and installed it that way anyway

Reactions: Z28Camaro

Z28Camaro

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2015
Metamora
Machining errors happen frequently. Get the installer to put what they found (facts and data, preferably with photos) in writing and go after the engine vendor. Give them a chance to make it right and if they don’t, dispute the charge if you bought it with a credit card. If you can’t dispute the charge with a credit card company, call a lawyer. The right lawyer can make you whole on this, credit card company will not recover the costs you incurred for the attempted repair for the leak. Good luck.

dun4791

gypsy is a whore!
Mar 2, 2004
What ain't no country I ever heard of
This^

this is the biggest reason I stopped modding cars, the tuner blames the mechanic and the mechanic blames the tuner, no one ever makes a mistake.

Agreed, but if you want to mod imo the best course of action is to take your car to a reputable shop (like RPM or Katech is for corvettes) and let them do everything. It won’t make your car worth more, but it also won’t make your car worth thousands less like a owner modified car will. Whether or not the owner did the work correctly isn’t the issue....people want a receipt from a verified reputable shop.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info