đź’¬ OT Who here has horses/horse stalls?

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Got a very unusual request at work, it was actually a referral from a very good customer of mine. A potential new customer is looking to have 100ish horse stalls installed, he sent me the below video.
I'm pretty sure its not as simple as the video makes it look and or sound. I thought a few dudes had horses ( EmersonHart13 EmersonHart13 maybe). Anyway for those of you who have/had horses or even been around property with horses, have you ever built stalls?

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Got a very unusual request at work, it was actually a referral from a very good customer of mine. A potential new customer is looking to have 100ish horse stalls installed, he sent me the below video.
I'm pretty sure its not as simple as the video makes it look and or sound. I thought a few dudes had horses ( EmersonHart13 EmersonHart13 maybe). Anyway for those of you who have/had horses or even been around property with horses, have you ever built stalls?

That looks like the stuff that may get used at horse shows. I'll ask Heather and see if she knows anything.

Reactions: Shawn1112

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
I can never picture "Rural Shawn" at all. :bowrofl:
Never in your lifetime or mine will that happen, I'm a city boy for life. I been in the burbs 20+ years now and I can honestly say I still hate it.
No its not rural by any stretch of the means, but its not city either
I cant imagine setup being too complicated honestly.....

If it might help you with a good customer I would say go for it and wing it. Ask away with help from all us construction nerds and youll end up with a good product. Let me know if you need any tools.
My biggest concern is everything being plumb, especially the concrete floor. They show the connectors going in with a few taps of a mallet.
In a perfect scenario, I can see that happening, but we all know nothing is perfect. They send 2x6 boards and tell you cut them to 4', so why not just send 4' boards? Probably due to what I mentioned above So does that mean we have to take a measurement for every board, probably so and thats the shit that can make or break a job.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Never in your lifetime or mine will that happen, I'm a city boy for life. I been in the burbs 20+ years now and I can honestly say I still hate it.

My biggest concern is everything being plumb, especially the concrete floor. They show the connectors going in with a few taps of a mallet.
In a perfect scenario, I can see that happening, but we all know nothing is perfect. They send 2x6 boards and tell you cut them to 4', so why not just send 4' boards? Probably due to what I mentioned above So does that mean we have to take a measurement for every board, probably so and thats the shit that can make or break a job.
I would put all the posts or boards in, then set a laser to 4 feet and cut them all off at that point most likely.

All depends how out of level the floor could be honestly.

Reactions: Shawn1112

Kaeghl

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 18, 2008
Aurora, IL
ah good old cheap ass lakeland stalls.
I somehow doubt you are doing the entire floor, usually drainage is handled in the aisle or just by mucking the stalls out (the hay.. and stuff.. tends to be easy to scoop up)
they say cut down to 4 because it needs actual 4, too many people threw a fit when they got 2 X 4's and found out it AIN'T 4. If it is a brand new structure made to modern standards then the install should not be too bad, its when you have people trying to put them in 100 year old barns that have had 57 different patches to the floor and was installed by everyone from professor nitpick to gramm pappy to Gomer the man with an IQ that matches his shoes.
Be a pal to the people paying and upsell them on some rust proofing after install, extra coats of paint should be fine, the lakeland structure is just box steel and moisture intrusion will eat them up in about 5 years.
Im not sure if they have spacers to keep them from being right on the floor but its a nice touch for when they want to hose out the stalls.
for draft horses we would get that linex stuff for anything below head height (and then have to put this stuff on it to prevent 1700 lbs of bored A HOLE from chewing it to pieces)

is it okay to ask where these are going into? I might know the barn .

Kaeghl

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 18, 2008
Aurora, IL
That looks like the stuff that may get used at horse shows. I'll ask Heather and see if she knows anything.
well no, the stuff at shows is meant for a quick set up and is easy to store, plus they are all pipe steel with walls hung over them, actually pretty strong. I have this pic at the Midwest Horse fair when we were showing where you can look at the sea of stalls.
20150416_164405.jpg

Reactions: Aircal

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Get a pair of these Jordan’s and fit right in.

IMG_5976.jpeg

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
ah good old cheap ass lakeland stalls.
I somehow doubt you are doing the entire floor, usually drainage is handled in the aisle or just by mucking the stalls out (the hay.. and stuff.. tends to be easy to scoop up)
they say cut down to 4 because it needs actual 4, too many people threw a fit when they got 2 X 4's and found out it AIN'T 4. If it is a brand new structure made to modern standards then the install should not be too bad, its when you have people trying to put them in 100 year old barns that have had 57 different patches to the floor and was installed by everyone from professor nitpick to gramm pappy to Gomer the man with an IQ that matches his shoes.
Be a pal to the people paying and upsell them on some rust proofing after install, extra coats of paint should be fine, the lakeland structure is just box steel and moisture intrusion will eat them up in about 5 years.
Im not sure if they have spacers to keep them from being right on the floor but its a nice touch for when they want to hose out the stalls.
for draft horses we would get that linex stuff for anything below head height (and then have to put this stuff on it to prevent 1700 lbs of bored A HOLE from chewing it to pieces)

is it okay to ask where these are going into? I might know the barn .
Brand new barn going up in the beginning of summer. Target for the install of the stalls is mid/end of summer so probably hot af out lol.
I dont know the name as we usually dont get that info unless awarded the job, all I know is its in or around Tinley Park
I'm just an installation company, I dont want to try and upsell anything and piss off my customer who referred me to the guy selling this job
I'm figuring 3 man hours per stall, there are 96 of them, after 10-15 of them we should have a good system down and hopefully fly thru the rest

Reactions: FESTER665

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Shawn wifey needs more info on where. That is our neck of the woods. I am guessing maybe Forest View Farms or an entirely new facility.

well no, the stuff at shows is meant for a quick set up and is easy to store, plus they are all pipe steel with walls hung over them, actually pretty strong. I have this pic at the Midwest Horse fair when we were showing where you can look at the sea of stalls.View attachment 202053

I've never been to a show that looks remotely like this. 🤣

Not surprised since my wife has only competed at the local level so these are installations that are generally permanent. And at one barn I think they had some of these stalls in a side area that only got used for overflow. So makes sense that they are cheap like you said.

Reactions: Kaeghl

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Those look a little different than what I need to quote. Any experience with what I posted? As of now I’m leaning towards 3 man hours per stall. Salesman claims 4 guys can do 1 stall in 30 min. I’m not buying that as each stall I’m quoting we have to cut like 56 pieces of wood.

Thread Info