Where do you BRAAAP?

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Rhinelander's ATV/UTV trail system is "up and coming". As is most of Oneida and Vilas County. The snowmobile trail system is "world-class" but summertime ATV/UTV recreation was almost non-existent just 10 years ago. ATV clubs have been doing a great job implementing trail systems throughout the Northwoods. I hope one day all the towns are linked as they are with snowmobile trails. Right now I would say it's halfway there, but it's complicated unmarked paved routes that are not very direct.

That intersection is basically the Oneida, Lincoln, and Langlade County line. As you can see from the mileage it's a pretty remote spot. Gas is 20+ miles away but there are a few bars about 5 miles away. ATV/UTV trails south of there get even better. The Hodag 4-wheelers do a great job in the Enterprise forest maintaining their trails.
I’ll look into the intersection of the counties for their trails. Enterprise wasn’t challenging, but it was in excellent condition pretty much everywhere I rode, and I can see the care taken. Which reminds me, need to send in the daily trail fee with the envelope I grabbed.

If I do that area again I’ll either stay somewhere closer to a trail head, so less road riding, or go solo so that I can just unload at the trail instead of riding to it. I wasn’t in the best place for ATV trails, but that was secondary to the other plans we had.

For the fuel, I could probably secure a 2-3 gallon fuel can to the rear support bars, which depending on riding conditions could get me another 50 miles of range. The 35mph road speed going to/from the trail head is what used up most of my gas, which I expected.

Alex suggested a Badlands trip, I’d be down for that. The tires I currently have would work well out there. Just need to work out a fuel solution.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I’ll look into the intersection of the counties for their trails. Enterprise wasn’t challenging, but it was in excellent condition pretty much everywhere I rode, and I can see the care taken. Which reminds me, need to send in the daily trail fee with the envelope I grabbed.

If I do that area again I’ll either stay somewhere closer to a trail head, so less road riding, or go solo so that I can just unload at the trail instead of riding to it. I wasn’t in the best place for ATV trails, but that was secondary to the other plans we had.

For the fuel, I could probably secure a 2-3 gallon fuel can to the rear support bars, which depending on riding conditions could get me another 50 miles of range. The 35mph road speed going to/from the trail head is what used up most of my gas, which I expected.

Alex suggested a Badlands trip, I’d be down for that. The tires I currently have would work well out there. Just need to work out a fuel solution.

Enterprise is not meant to be challenging. It's groomed forest roads. Rhinelander isn't a destination for ATV/UTV riding. If you want to plan an ATV/UTV trip I would suggest Mercer or Land O Lakes area. Both are very nice trail systems and can connect to the UP trails.

Reactions: SpeedSpeak2me

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Enterprise is not meant to be challenging. It's groomed forest roads. Rhinelander isn't a destination for ATV/UTV riding. If you want to plan an ATV/UTV trip I would suggest Mercer or Land O Lakes area. Both are very nice trail systems and can connect to the UP trails.
I'm taking the ATV down to Kentucky this weekend, to do some fire trial riding at my dad's old place. If the riding bug stays with me, I'd definitely like to go further north and into the UP. Small group ride would be great... Or as Alex suggested, the Badlands area, but that's a good 12+ hours of driving just getting there. Unless he meant Badlands rec park in Attica, IN.

Mr Baytchos

TCG Elite Member
Jul 8, 2007
Cortland, IL
Real Name
Anthony
I'm taking the ATV down to Kentucky this weekend, to do some fire trial riding at my dad's old place. If the riding bug stays with me, I'd definitely like to go further north and into the UP. Small group ride would be great... Or as Alex suggested, the Badlands area, but that's a good 12+ hours of driving just getting there. Unless he meant Badlands rec park in Attica, IN.
Lol definitely Badlands in Indiana. I'm not sure you can even ride in the national park

Reactions: PANDA

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
The Black Hills is getting to be a HUGE ATV/UTV recreation area. GF's dad's side of the family is from there. I was out there 3 or 4 times last year. The locals are not happy about it. I am pretty sure you can drive an ATV/UTV mostly anywhere around the hills. Massive road/trails system in the Black Hills National Forest. There are some forest roads that the feds stopped maintaining turning them into ATV or walking-only trails but otherwise, u can drive a truck anywhere you would take an ATV.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
We usually just take her Subaru Outback out on the forest roads or her dad's 78 Toyota FJ40. A lot of the ATV guys give us looks when they come across a stock Subaru deep in the forest 20 miles from the nearest paved road. They probably think they are riding on some really gnarly terrain. We haven't got it high-centered or stuck in mud yet. But need to get creative sometimes for highly rutted-out roads. Always drive with a 2nd vehicle. No service mostly everywhere.

20220702_122231.jpg

20220704_120932.jpg

20220702_131122.jpg

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
We usually just take her Subaru Outback out on the forest roads or her dad's 78 Toyota FJ40. A lot of the ATV guys give us looks when they come across a stock Subaru deep in the forest 20 miles from the nearest paved road. They probably think they are riding on some really gnarly terrain. We haven't got it high-centered or stuck in mud yet. But need to get creative sometimes for highly rutted-out roads. Always drive with a 2nd vehicle. No service mostly everywhere.

View attachment 166851

View attachment 166852

View attachment 166853
I'm game for that!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info